Nervous about flu

The flu hit my house a few weeks ago and yes it was rough but we all survived. Actually, it was only my wife that had the flu while myself, my 4 month old and my 3 year old just had what seemed to be a bad cold. The boys had fevers so maybe they actually would have tested positive but they weren't sick like my wife was. As a side note, my wife was the only one who got the flu shot. I took loads of vitamin C, vit D, elderberry, drank bone broth, and made sure to avoid processed foods and sugars (they lower your immune system for an hour after you eat them) until I knew we weren't going to get it from her.

Keeping your vitamin D level at or above 50 has been proven to be more effective in preventing the flu than a flu shot.

If you do get the flu please do not take tamiflu. I read all 27 pages of the package insert the other day and it says that it *may* reduce flu like symptoms by one day but that some people who take it have a rapid deterioration in their health status shortly after. A good natural alternative is to take oscillococcinum. It helped my wife feel better faster without any of the same risks, and loads of vitamin C and elderberry.

Meep! I'm going to Pm you, I have some questions.

Edited- my private message won't go through. Oh well. I mostly wanted to ask how you moved past the fear and how you came to your decision.

Edited- my private message won't go through. Oh well. I mostly wanted to ask how you moved past the fear and how you came to your decision.

Hi,

To be honest, I'm not entirely past the fear. Contrary to the beliefs of what people would call 'anti-vaxxers' (I'm not one, I entirely believe if vaccination is right for your family then that is absolutely what you should do, and I'd never try to change anybody's mind), I am not against vaccinations. I understand how they work. I believe they do work. I believe that, in principle, they are a good idea and a clever idea and they save many lives.

However, there is no denying that there are children out there, and older people too (teenage girls receiving Gardasil, for example, to protect against HPV) who have been damaged irrevocably and in some cases even killed after receiving a vaccine. There are plenty of cases out there, if you look, in which a child's injury/subsequent disability and/or death has been ruled to be a direct result of a vaccine that the child received. A lot of money is set aside each year by the companies supplying vaccines for this reason, as compensation is obviously paid to victims and families where these side effects occur and are proven to be the result of a vaccine.

Of course, this is not the case for the vast majority of children. Most have absolutely no reaction at all and grow up perfectly healthy. There are always risks, whatever you choose to do in life. I do not believe that vaccines are a conspiracy method to hurt and kill and maim us. I do not believe that vaccines contribute to general ill health to keep us needing medicines and treatments and paying money to keep on top of our various ailments. I do not believe that vaccines are full of dangerous levels of toxic ingredients that lie dormant in the body and gradually break us down so we die of cancer or Alzheimer's later in life. I do not believe that vaccines directly cause autism. There are plenty of unvaccinated children out there with autism and plenty of vaccinated children who have no difficulties whatsoever.

For me, and this may sound stupid and possibly harsh, it was a case of feeling like I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I agreed to a vaccine which then changed or killed my child. That is all. I didn't want to be the one who did it. I can't stop my children from catching a disease. Nobody can stop their children from catching a disease - even a vaccinated child can potentially contract and die from one of the diseases they have been immunised against. It's just far less likely.

So that's all. No conspiracy bullshit, no activism. I don't care what other people do with their children, but these are mine, and while there is still a choice, this feels like the most organic and honest one for me.

Am I happy with my decision? Not entirely. Do I worry that they might get a potentially deadly disease? Yes, I do.

If you want to look into it further, the documentary 'Vaxxed' makes interesting viewing, as you can hear from some families to whom vaccine injury has happened. If you were just curious about my views, then, well, these are them lol and I've been happy to give them.

Would just like to say in closing that I am in no way trying to change anybody's mind, antagonise anybody or start a debate. I realise that my views will not match probably anybody else's but would appreciate it if my opinion and choice could be respected as I respect the opinions and choices of you all.

Meep- thanks for taking the time to write all of that. I have been researching vaccines for nearly a year and still haven't come to a decision. I like how simple you put it. I vaccinated my first according to schedule but I didn't realize the risk I was taking. Looking back I'm shocked I didn't research before he was born, but I was too busy looking into everything else and being a nurse it's ingrained in me to trust vaccination. But after a year of learning I still don't feel confident one way or the other. I almost wish I didn't go down that rabbit hole, because there is no unknowing and there is no going back. Now I don't know that I can move forward with some kind of schedule knowing the risks I am taking. But I don't know how to live with the fear of him catching something I could have prevented. Some days I think I've made a decision, and the next day I take it back and sway the other way. I guess I wish I was able to look at it the way you do but I find many of the arguments awfully compelling and it's hard to trust the way forward. I guess after all I have learned I realize that there are some serious and potentially fatal risks on both sides and I can't figure out where the greater risk lies. I have honestly never been so tortured by something before.

All I can say is I know EXACTLY how you feel. :hugs:

Hi,

To be honest, I'm not entirely past the fear. Contrary to the beliefs of what people would call 'anti-vaxxers' (I'm not one, I entirely believe if vaccination is right for your family then that is absolutely what you should do, and I'd never try to change anybody's mind), I am not against vaccinations. I understand how they work. I believe they do work. I believe that, in principle, they are a good idea and a clever idea and they save many lives.

However, there is no denying that there are children out there, and older people too (teenage girls receiving Gardasil, for example, to protect against HPV) who have been damaged irrevocably and in some cases even killed after receiving a vaccine. There are plenty of cases out there, if you look, in which a child's injury/subsequent disability and/or death has been ruled to be a direct result of a vaccine that the child received. A lot of money is set aside each year by the companies supplying vaccines for this reason, as compensation is obviously paid to victims and families where these side effects occur and are proven to be the result of a vaccine.

Of course, this is not the case for the vast majority of children. Most have absolutely no reaction at all and grow up perfectly healthy. There are always risks, whatever you choose to do in life. I do not believe that vaccines are a conspiracy method to hurt and kill and maim us. I do not believe that vaccines contribute to general ill health to keep us needing medicines and treatments and paying money to keep on top of our various ailments. I do not believe that vaccines are full of dangerous levels of toxic ingredients that lie dormant in the body and gradually break us down so we die of cancer or Alzheimer's later in life. I do not believe that vaccines directly cause autism. There are plenty of unvaccinated children out there with autism and plenty of vaccinated children who have no difficulties whatsoever.

For me, and this may sound stupid and possibly harsh, it was a case of feeling like I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I agreed to a vaccine which then changed or killed my child. That is all. I didn't want to be the one who did it. I can't stop my children from catching a disease. Nobody can stop their children from catching a disease - even a vaccinated child can potentially contract and die from one of the diseases they have been immunised against. It's just far less likely.

So that's all. No conspiracy bullshit, no activism. I don't care what other people do with their children, but these are mine, and while there is still a choice, this feels like the most organic and honest one for me.

Am I happy with my decision? Not entirely. Do I worry that they might get a potentially deadly disease? Yes, I do.

If you want to look into it further, the documentary 'Vaxxed' makes interesting viewing, as you can hear from some families to whom vaccine injury has happened. If you were just curious about my views, then, well, these are them lol and I've been happy to give them.

Would just like to say in closing that I am in no way trying to change anybody's mind, antagonise anybody or start a debate. I realise that my views will not match probably anybody else's but would appreciate it if my opinion and choice could be respected as I respect the opinions and choices of you all.

As someone who's child died from a disease for which there is now a vaccine to prevent (men b) and which I also campaigned for, I just wanted to say thank you for putting your views across so eloquently and for also doing your research before coming to your decision not to vaccinate. So many people I speak to base their decision on myths and hear say so it's refreshing to hear that no, you aren't 100% comfortable with your decision, probably like those of us that DO vaccinate are not 100% either but as parents, we weigh up the pros and cons and reach a decision we feel is best for our children.

There is something quite instinctual about vaccines, mothers intuition sort of thing. Mine have had all the regular vaccines but have not had the flu jab, for me weighing it all up I've come to the conclusion that one isn't for us

Thanks ladies.

And Lora, thank you. I remember what happened and have thought of Eve many times while trying to work out what it is I wanted to do. I plan to be honest with all about what we have chosen so that people we know who are having babies (there's one coming in July actually) can decide whether they want our children around their newborns or whether they would prefer to wait until their babies have been vaccinated, if that's what they choose to do.

Thanks- it's actually his second time getting it and he's only 8 months old. He and his twin Sister had it as newborn, his Sister was critical and on life support in Alder Hey but thankfully pulled through. I can't help but wonder if its made them more susceptible to it now?

Probably not, based on the same mechanism as vaccines. Once you have had it, you are less likely to have it again or if you do it will be less severe.

Even if it is a different strain, they claim a vaccine for the wrong strain will make it less severe, so the same should be true for having a different strain of the flu.

Thanks- it's actually his second time getting it and he's only 8 months old. He and his twin Sister had it as newborn, his Sister was critical and on life support in Alder Hey but thankfully pulled through. I can't help but wonder if its made them more susceptible to it now?

Probably not, based on the same mechanism as vaccines. Once you have had it, you are less likely to have it again or if you do it will be less severe.

Even if it is a different strain, they claim a vaccine for the wrong strain will make it less severe, so the same should be true for having a different strain of the flu.

Thanks, that actually makes sense. Guess the poor babes just been very unlucky. He Is home now ☺

Thanks, that actually makes sense. Guess the poor babes just been very unlucky. He Is home now ☺

Yeah, it is rough luck. I know someone else who's children caught two different strains of the flu this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->