new smoking laws

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
The new smoking laws are in place today, ive just been noseying on FB and people are saying 'they cant tell you what to do, what next telling us what to watch on TV' now i dont see this as a unreasonable law, i do get that people think we are being told what to do but are you really going to moan that your not allowed to smoke with kids in the car?

someone said 'well it should be made illegal to smoke when pregnant' well that doesnt work either, its against human rights to tell someone they cant smoke, pregnant or not, and besides if a pregnant woman smokes only in her home, how can she be done for it?

another comment said that we should be fined for smoking in our homes with kids around, again good point, but how will this be enforced? knock on peoples door and hope to catch them smoking?

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/13718247.New_smoking_rules__what_you_need_to_know_by_October_1/

I think this law has been a long time coming and anyone opposing it who has children in their care really needs to get help from a social worker. It is totally unnecessary to put children at risk through smoke inhalation and parents who do oppose this law will either need the education to make them understand or a serious review of why their lifestyle is prioritised over their children's health.

Smoking while pregnant is different, although I do believe this should be strongly discouraged and mothers should be supported to stop. At this point mothers can't make an active choice to do it away from their baby they can only choose to stop(which can also affect mental health etc). Many pregnant non smoker mums also have unhealthy lifestyles that could affect babies and again you need to find the balance of what is reasonable to achieve without putting too much stress on the mother.

It disgusts me to see, the child has no choice, so I welcome this law.
I agree they can't enforce it within the home, I also agree that whilst an unborn baby has no rights, smoking in pregnancy can't be brought into the debate either.

Even as a smoker myself, I completely agree with this law. I don't smoke in my car (regardless of whether the kids are in there or not.) I don't smoke in the house nor do I smoke in front of them outside.

Unfortunately, I just can't see how it can be enforced. You just need to look at the amount of people who still use their phones whilst driving to see that it won't work.

It's been the law here in Canada for years and rightfully so. I grew up with a dad and a grandma who both smoked in the car when I was with them and it was awful. I have asthma so it's possible it was harder on me than most kids but even still, why chance it? Second hand smoke is harmful regardless if it affects the child in that moment or not.

It's the same as any other law, really. You still have people who speed, text while driving, etc. and while not everyone is going to get caught all the time, people do still get ticketed quite often. I think for me, personally, getting a fine for putting my kid's health at risk would be mortifying and definitely an inspiration to smarten up.

im defo with this law, as a smoker my self, i dont drive but i wouldnt dream of smoking with any child in my car, but, lets say i didnt have kids, i probably would smoke in the car, and if my sissy was with me whos 17 i would smoke still, she smokes too, but the law states i wouldn't be allowed to because shes under 18.
the comments i was seeing were disgraceful, no one actually admitted to smoking with their kids in the car, but you could tell by the comments they do, like;
'i should be able to do what i want in my own car, i own it'
'stop so and so smoking at x place then, this isnt fair'

Lindsey, that was my point, people, inc. police officers, speed and use their phone whilst driving, so will a 'poxy law' really change things? i dont think so because it seems people still dont see wrong in smoking with a child in the car, the advert on TV where it shows the 'invisible smoke' that should be enough to stop people doing it so openly in front of their children!!

im defo with this law, as a smoker my self, i dont drive but i wouldnt dream of smoking with any child in my car, but, lets say i didnt have kids, i probably would smoke in the car, and if my sissy was with me whos 17 i would smoke still, she smokes too, but the law states i wouldn't be allowed to because shes under 18.
the comments i was seeing were disgraceful, no one actually admitted to smoking with their kids in the car, but you could tell by the comments they do, like;
'i should be able to do what i want in my own car, i own it'
'stop so and so smoking at x place then, this isnt fair'

Lindsey, that was my point, people, inc. police officers, speed and use their phone whilst driving, so will a 'poxy law' really change things? i dont think so because it seems people still dont see wrong in smoking with a child in the car, the advert on TV where it shows the 'invisible smoke' that should be enough to stop people doing it so openly in front of their children!!

The law states 18 because it is illegal to sell smoking products to under 18's, so of course it should still apply to your sister being in the car.

I'm so glad this has been put in place. I think the majority of offenders will get away with smoking with children in the car but hopefully it will at least make people think twice and question whether smoking with children in the car is actually OK and hopefully some people will choose to stop. It is horrible that children who have no choice are forced to breath in clouds of smoke in cars and at home.

I doubt many people will actually get fined for this, I think it's just an important message "this is so dangerous to do, it is technically illegal" I think it's more about the message than actually convicting people if that makes sense (as it'll be quite difficult to catch and the police have made a fuss about having the resources to be able to). I can't say it has been a point of conversation amongst any of my friends, it's a law that makes sense, doesn't affect me, I welcome it. Tbh I've always thought smoking while driving was generally dangerous anyway, and dont get me started on people throwing cigarettes out the window on the move, but there we go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->