New to cloth - advance buying questions?

FunkyClaire

Reaction score
I'm expecting my first baby next month and we're pretty much decided we want to go the reusable route. :thumbup:
I know the usual advice is to try a few different kinds and see what you like best before committing to too many of one kind *but*... my budget is going to be severely limited once maternity pay kicks in and I really doubt that I'll ever be able to pay out that much at once to get all the nappies I need if I leave it until then.
Sooo... while I have a bit of money set aside for this now I really want to just buy as much as possible to cover most of my needs in advance which means committing to one main type of nappy. From reading about and reviews and recommendations I'm pretty sure I like the look of the Bumgenius - can anyone tell me if they think this kit would be a good option?:
https://www.fill-your-pants.com/product/85/109/your-complete-nappy-kit--plus-

I also ordered the Itti Bitti multipack from Ebay for a few extra and a bit of variety.
Do I need anymore?
What else should I get - is one wrap really enough for the Tots Bots? Do I need liners and/or boosters as well? (I think I want to get fleece liners actually, unless I don't need to?)
Any other accessories?
(And yes, ok, I know I *could* trial a few and put the rest of the money aside for a later bulk buy, but it would mysteriously get spent somewhere else so I don't dare try that option!)
I feel like my head is spinning from reading so much and browsing all the different websites out there - any thoughts would be so appreciated! x

no it's a pretty good kit really, it covers the basics. i know you already mentioned it but do be careful spending so much money on a nappy that may not work for you. I use BG V3's myself and think they're a fab night time nappy. I'm not sure about using them 24/7 though because we have issues with BG being kind of smelly after a while even after strip washes. I do think the kit is a bit on the pricey side but it depends on you and how much time you've got to shop round and what you personally want IMO :hugs:

if you are sure you wanna use the BG then yes this pack would be great, tho i wouldnt think the Tots Bots will last too long as an overnight nappy i would definately recommend trying some Pop ins for your nighttime:D what size did you buy the Itti's in ?? just the BG will be mahooosive on LO when he/she is first born /for the first few months - and i found the ittis a bit big on Daisy for a while too

if you could stretch to it i would defo recommend trying a couple of Mothercare Smart nappy system they are great to get you going and the newborn sizes are nice and neat for early nappies......will finish off in a sec, i have a poorly little lady just woke from her nap!!!

:) i also agree about bg's get smelly after a while!

anyhoo i would recommend tying the mothercare smart nappies which you can get on e bay fairly cheap or try www.clothnappytree.com - great place for preloveds :thumbup:

sara

xxxxxxx

Looks like a fab kit to me :) And yep, one wrap should fine hun but i'd maybe look at motherease rikki wraps as an extra just incase you need more. I use my bamboozles at night and they are FAB. Prob my most reliable nappy, never had a leak and i have a 12hr + sleeper :D I would advise fluffly fleece liners as they keep LOs skin so dry :D

I would recommend lavendar oil for your nappy bucket to keep it smelling nice :D

Thanks for the replies ladies - lots to think on!
I bought the Ittis in small and I'm more than likely to be using disposables for the first couple of weeks while I try and figure out what on earth I'm doing!
Is the kit really on the pricey side - as in could I get all the contents cheaper shopping around individually? I don't really mind doing that I just assumed I was making a saving buying a kit.

What would help with the BGs getting smelly issue - buying more of another kind so they get used less frequently?

Oh and the nighttime nappies not lasting - do I need more? Or is it a size thing? Sorry for all the extra questions! I'm going to quickly research the Mothercare ones now too.

*goes off to add fleece liners and lavender oil to shopping basket* At least I get £40 back from the council, every little helps! :thumbup:

i've got the bumgenius and they are great! we use them at night too. for cheaper options, mothercare does 15 for £204 and there are lots of 10% off vouchers online for them or i got mine from here https://www.bebeco.co.uk/bumgenius-v3-onesize-pocket-nappy-593-p.asp for the same price but with a free bucket and bag

imo the Tots bots wouldnt hold a whole night of pee and they tend to soak all around so they get wet tummy's :(

on the BG front apparently they (bg's) all go that way eventually?? EVERYWHERE i have read reviews on them this has been mentioned

are you bothered about buying preloved?? just that way you will get waaaaaaaay more for your money, and most of the stuff you can get preloved is in great condition, find out what you really like then slowly buy more (new if you prefer) of the one/ones you like the most:) and if you really dont get on with anythin you can sell it on again without losing much money at all :thumbup:

sara

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"