New Weaners

Mrs Murphy - those piccies are awesome!!!! She looks so cute with that bit of brocolli!!!

We're still behind everyone despite being 7 months now :cry: I'm not that fussed about weaning really, but shes also awful with milk so needs calories from somewhere.

LO manages a few baby spoons of baby rice and pear in the morning and occasionally at night, but refuses everything else
I tried other flavours but she hated it and went off food totally for a few days because of it.
I tried a more BLW approach with steamed veg, apricot, pear, broccoli etc and she hates it, screams when it gets stuck in her hands, flails about and gets really upset.
The only thing she enjoys are 'baby mum mums' which are rice crackers (kind of like rusks but for allergy babies)

She had a week or so doing really well, but as soon as she started teething it all went to sh*t. She also refusing almost all milk and barely taking 10oz a day

When does it get easier? Feeling crappy today.

:hugs: It will get better hun - she just needs time to get used to it all. Can you get some help from a doc or HV with weaning? I remeber tha Nim has quite a few allergies so maybe she is scared to try things because of the pains she had before? Like a phobia or something?

Thank you :hugs:

I think the allergies are part of it, we changed her hypo formula a couple of months back and she seemed to do really well, jumped back onto her birth percentile of 50 and got chubby :cloud9:

The weaning wasn't going to badly, ok, not exactly great guns but I was happy with it. Shes hit a teething patch and its totally gone to poo :sad1:
She lost weight this week and looks skinny :cry:
Arghhh probably just need to slap myself with a kipper and get on with it :lol: I'm sure once these pesky teeth finish their thing we'll be back on track (may be lol) She just so orally sensitive to every and anything :dohh:

Ive got Plunket next week and my lady is great so will pick her brain and we are going to the Dr again tomorrow to get her weighted. Honestly its almost funny, I've been on the phone to healthline 3x this week, the Dr once, the hospital 2x all 'cos she wont drink and is on the verge of dehydration :dohh:

I've just had the messiest lunch time ever :haha: We had a pasta-quiche type thing (pasta, sauce, veg, scrambled egg all mixed together and baked in the oven) and it went EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! I knew it would crumble in her hands but the bigs were still big enough, but she was swiping it off the tray, dropping/throwing it on the floor ... was so messy!! I havent been using a floor mat either as she hasn't been bad at all with mess - that was a mistake!! I now had egg in my carpet :sick: Good though :haha:

I don't have a floor mat either yet, sounds like I need to make this a number one priority! :haha:

Bet you had fun despite the mess :thumbup: Oh, and can I have the recipe for the quiche/pasta thingy? It sounds lush!

Lol! I use a batchelors pasta'n'sauce, cooked as per instructions. Line a quiche dish with chopped veg (today I had courgette, mushrooms, spring onions and red pepper). Mix 4 eggs with a bit of milk and 150g cottage cheese and pour into the pasta, mix and pour over the veg. Bake in oven for about 10-15mins.

It is really, really nice!!! Its one of my Slimming World staples!!

Wow masterdoggie, what a background!! Glad you got some answers and hopefully they work for you. Good luck hun - all will get better from now on :hugs:

thanks for the good luck wishes! :flower:

I gave a little rice in the morning today and initially it appeared LO wanted to spit it out but she swallowed little by little, with a few spoons of water inbetween.

after i came back home from work, mil told me that LO had a little gerber rice cereal (single grain) - whew, what a relief!!

Will post some pics in the weekend

thanks for the support

LO was too tired to eat dinner, made her some veg but she just stared and moaned. I knew she as tired before I even started, so I duno why I bothered! 6oclock probably is a little late for dinner anyway. Will make it at 5pm from now on:)

I tried to give her it only 25 minutes ago, and she is already tucked up fast asleep in her cot!

Oh bless!! I have started pushing tea time back a bit now and we have it about half 6. Today, Erin started rubbing her eyes with a chip :haha:

Feeling much happier about weaning today, LO had pasta and some baby corn which it seems he much prefers to carrot and potato :thumbup: a fair few mouthfuls were had and how knows? Maybe he even swallowed some! :haha:

hi

posting a few pics of thursday

I need some advice please.

Started giving
1. mashed rice with lentils and a little salt
2. gerber single grain rice cereal mixed with water and little sugar
3. porridge made of rice and lentils - prescribed by the doctor.

LO has a few spoonfuls to begin with and then starts crying (i am guessing because she used to drink milk really fast from the bottle and eating solids gets food in to her much slower).

this is how / what we feed her

1. LActogen in the morning as first feed by 6 am
2. a few spoonfuls of mashed rice and lentils by about 9:30 am or so
3. lactogen by noon
4. porridge or gerber - again only a few spoonfuls at around 3:30 pm
5. lactogen at 7 pm
6. lactogen in the night

i dont think it is the right way of weaning her but she starts crying after having a few spoons of these foods.

today, she was having gerber cereals and started crying as usual. my mil asked me to give her lactogen. i added one scoop of lactogen, put the uneaten gerber cereals and added water to bring to a thin consistency and gave to LO in a bottle. She had it from the bottle (reluctant to begin with, then i guess she was hungry, so did not mind the cereals in the bottle) and is now asleep.

can anyone tell me the right way of weaning? her hand-eye co-ordination is not great yet, so i take the spoon to her mouth and she gets excited looking at the spoon - you can see it pics below

thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1
Mastersdoggie - gorgeous pics she certainly does look very excited!-I'm not sure of the "correct" way of weaning as I am doing Blw but (others please correct me if I am wrong) I see in your pics babes is in a bouncy chair. I've read that Bouncy chairs are not an ideal place for them to eat as they are not in an upright position which makes it very difficult for them to swallow properly. we use mine or or dh's lap, in a high chair or even a bumbo. HTH xx

lovealittle1, thanks a lot! :flower:

We do have a high chair, we are moving to a new home today, so we will unpack it today or tomorrow. i hope high chair works well :)

MastersDoggie, shes adorable, very excited indeed!

Well I decided to feed my LO from a spoon yesterday... Will continue to offer lots of fingr foods too... but I decided I felt too bad fr her not to et anything properly!

She had some of mummy and daddys mashed potato, mixed with mushrooms and onions, with a litte of her milk... it was still prety lumpy as I just mashed it a little with a fork... and Oh My Goodness did she enjoy it! She loved it!! Not too keen on the onions, but I think she just didnt know how to chew them properly, as they were pretty crunchy.

She did feed herself a bit too, I loaded the spoon, and she took it off me (with one finger) and fed herself. She did great.

Dont know what to give her for dinner today!

Matersdoggie - Gorgeous piccies :cloud9: I agree that a highchair would probably change the way she eats as she will be more upright and will be able to manage the food in her mouth better.

I have never done it, but I am pretty sure that putting porridge/rice in a bottle is not advised as it can be a choking hazard. I'm not sure on the whys and hows, but thought I would just let you know :flower:

Erin will not take baby food. She has been BLW since we started weaning, but will have porridge and desert purees on a spoon. I have tried her with baby food jars and she is just not interested! Someone else asked here the other day about it and someone else said that it may be because they feel less in control when food is fed directly to them and if they don't like it - they won't take it? Maybe what your experiencing? Will LO take finger foods?

Hi ladies, I havent been in this thread in a few days- i see some lovely pictures of the LO's eating- cute

we have been getting on well, Ava is now opening her mouth for all of her meals- thank goodness as it was a real struggle at the start.

The only thing is I am getting stuck with ideas for variety...

Today she is having:

Breakfast: fruity porridge
Lunch: baby rice with apple and pear puree
dinner: whatever we are having- at my mums house so prob a typical sunday dinner.

I feel like im stuck with lunches- I can manage to vary her breakfast and dinner alot but lunch is hard....

what have you ladies been giving your LO's for lunch?

For lunches, Erin has:
Omlette
toast
sandwich
Veg sticks
Pasta
or whatever we are having if we are out.

I also give her a desert after lunch and tea, and she tends to have a fruit puree of some kind and yoghurt.

Thank you Ceri_B, Just knowing what others do is a huge help too! I cant beliwvw how much LO's appetite increases in such a short space of time.

I am not sure who asked about rice porridge in a bottle- HV's always say to never give anything other than milk in Lo's bottle as it is a choking hazard but on a spoon is fine

Had our first solid food poop today.. hehe!

There wasa bit of carrot. I actually LOL. And it smelled kinda sweet (sorry tmi)

Had our first solid food poop today.. hehe!

There wasa bit of carrot. I actually LOL. And it smelled kinda sweet (sorry tmi)

Awww its crazy what us mummys get excited by- i was excited to see bits of banana one day in a nappy:haha:

I cant believe what Ava did tonight- i left her on the living room floor on top of a towel and her play mat to have a nappy free kick about while i got her bath ready- 3 of my girlie friends were in and were talking to her while i was doing this- she poo'ed 3 times on the towel- 3 big smelly poo's full of carrots and all:dohh: none of my friends have kids so no doubt i have out them off for life:wacko:

i have a quick question- is it ok to give toast like i do to Lo's?

I used the 50/50 kingsmill crustless bread and toasted it and out some full fat dairylea on it, cut it in half and let her feed herself- she loved it- i was very scared by the huge amounts she was putting in her mouth- i am still quite scared of her choking- just need a little confidence that this isok???????????

C.M.C Thats pretty much what I do, apart from I use wholemeal bread.

When I first found food bits in Erins nappy, I laughed and laughed!! I even shouted down to DH to tell him!!!!! So sad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->