New Weaners

In a few weeks Ella will be turning 6 months so I want to be more prepared regards to things other than fruit and veg.

does she have to have a specific bread i.e wholemeal, white etc.

What yogurt is best? Would it be better just to buy some natural yogurt and mix fruit puree with it?

Are there any cheese spreads to avoid?

What are the best cereals to start with (she hates the baby ones)?

Any other tips on moving from fruit and veg to other stuff would be very helpful.

Thanks all

hi guys, I'm starting BLWing shortly (Sofia is 23 weeks). We explored purees at 4 months under advice of HV but to be honest it wasn't for us. She didn't respond to it. I felt like I was forcefeeding her. A lady in my Post Natal group gave me THE BLW book and now I'm a convert. My OH has read it cover to cover too and he's convinced too.

As if I needed any other convincing today I had Sofia on my lap at breakfast and lunch and both times she grabbed my food. Lunch had a side salad and she grabbed some dry lettuce... she put it straight in her mouth, made chewing motions but then it ended on the floor. I was so pleased.

I'm even more so convinced BLW is for us. Going to buy Ikea highchair this weekend so we can start properly offering fruit and veg. So excited!! I'll add in meat and bread etc when she's officially 6 months but she was 2 weeks overdue, sits unaided for large amounts of time... I think she's ready now for fruit and veg!

Good luck hun!!

Erin has been doing so well ..... she has dropped her nightfeed ..... and started STTN!!!!!!!!! I don't wanna jinx it but it has been a week now, so fx!!!!!!

Hows everyone else doing?

Brilliant news! so happy for you :happydance:

In a few weeks Ella will be turning 6 months so I want to be more prepared regards to things other than fruit and veg.

What yogurt is best? Would it be better just to buy some natural yogurt and mix fruit puree with it?

Any other tips on moving from fruit and veg to other stuff would be very helpful.

Thanks all

From my reading/googling etc (so not scientific fact my understanding is...

Bread:
That white bread is best as wholemeal contains fibre that is difficult for lil ones to digest although a little wholemeal occasionally is fine. Also that bread should be limited to 2 slices a day. Also check the salt content sometimes there can be deceptively high levels. Apparently you can get Kids Pitta Breads which have really low levels of salt which I quite like the idea of... especially as a dipper.

Yoghurt:
I would agree natural yogurt with some fruit. Other yoghurts might have other sugar or bits in.

Other than Fruit and Veg options:
No Dairy or Meat/Fish before 6 months (and then oily fish (including tuna) no more than twice a week for girls - 4 for boys)
Also it seemed like the things you should avoid in pregnancy (shark, marlin etc) also should be avoided for little ones...

Not sure on the other bits but I hope this helps :flower:

Thanks all

I've been giving Erin ciabattas and wholemeal bread. She doesn't have much though - maybe one slice/half ciabatta every 3days. I'm a bit worried about constipation to give her too much stodge! I have found the jars of baby deserts a real winner with Erin! I've got peiti flolu (sp?) natural and mixed it with fruit puree but she's not keen. I've even tryied fruit pieces dunked in it but still no! The flavoured yoghurts have got loads of sugar in them so I stayed clear. We have tried the C&G jars and they have been great for her. She also has tropical porridge, but it is the baby version, so doubt that will help you :dohh:

hi guys, I'm starting BLWing shortly (Sofia is 23 weeks). We explored purees at 4 months under advice of HV but to be honest it wasn't for us. She didn't respond to it. I felt like I was forcefeeding her. A lady in my Post Natal group gave me THE BLW book and now I'm a convert. My OH has read it cover to cover too and he's convinced too.

As if I needed any other convincing today I had Sofia on my lap at breakfast and lunch and both times she grabbed my food. Lunch had a side salad and she grabbed some dry lettuce... she put it straight in her mouth, made chewing motions but then it ended on the floor. I was so pleased.

I'm even more so convinced BLW is for us. Going to buy Ikea highchair this weekend so we can start properly offering fruit and veg. So excited!! I'll add in meat and bread etc when she's officially 6 months but she was 2 weeks overdue, sits unaided for large amounts of time... I think she's ready now for fruit and veg!

Sounds really promising :thumbup: I have found that Erin will not take a jar of baby food now (unless its the desert kind) but will happily chew on beef, chicken, pork, all and any veg!!! BLW is definitely the way forward!!

My OH is a bread baker so we get all our bread free - luckily however they have reduced the salt levels in their bread so am not so worried about the salt in bread as I would have been if I had to buy it. Also OH is going to make Ella sized rolls and baps so she will be having the same as us but in a smaller version.

I am going to make extras when I do meals so ella has some homemade ready meals for when we are having something that isn't suitable or she doesn't like.

Hey my son is 1 in 4 weeks..but i started weaning him esarly as he was a greedy baby.. was on greedy milk at 4 weeks having rusks in his bottle at 6 weeks which made him sleep through which was great for mommy lol.. I started weaning him bout 4 months tried baby rice,, but didnt like that at all.. to be honest ppl i no have said same bout there babys..so i tried him on stage 1 jar food which is from 4 munths and to be honest he didnt take to it at first but if u just perserveir with them and keeping giving them bits they will get use to it as there only use to liquids.. nnow he eats everything chills currys sunday dinners, u name it hell eat it has a thing for peppers and dont no why lol xx

I can't wait until we are all sat round having a sunday roast!

Anyone else new to weaning and wanna share? Feel like I may need support with this

hi

my LO is about to be 6 months old and our earlier doctor asked us to continue with lactogen (only lactogen) as she was gaining good weight. We could feel that she was hungry and lactogen was not enough but were scared to start anything else.

she had severe colicky pain and constipation last week and we took her the doctor who made us wait for 45 min and she was crying non-stop. inside his room when he was examining her, she started vomiting and guess his reaction? "Take her out and clean this place first". i actually wanted to kill him then and there but paid him the fees that he demanded and brought LO back home.

then we went to another doctor. This new doctor asked us what we have been giving her. I said "Lactogen". He asked "What else?" I said "only lactogen". the doctor and the nurse looked at us as if we were <i dont know how to describe> and the doctor told us "too much of milk has caused constipation". I should have known this :dohh:

The new doctor has asked us to give rice porridge (yay, finally i got on to the topic, sorry for the long background :shy: )

Now the doctor has asked us to slowly introduce nestum (i understand that cerelac is premixed with milk and nestum is plain rice cereal - is that right?) and rice and vegetables over the next few days.

We gave porridge to her on sunday. she drank it. [-o<

On monday, she refused porridge :-(\

last evening, she was in a half-asleep mode and some porridge went in. today also, a little has gone it. hopefully she likes it.

Planning to start rice from thursday. Wish me luck, please. I am very scared as to how LO will like all the new stuff.

Wow masterdoggie, what a background!! Glad you got some answers and hopefully they work for you. Good luck hun - all will get better from now on :hugs:

I tried little miss with avocado again today to a mixed reaction - she had some but not a lot. I luckily had saved some pear when I made my breakfast so she then helped herself to almost a quarter of a pear. She is still sucking on it a lot until a bit breaks off but hopefully a bite will happen eventually!

I am making a lasagna tonight so am going to try LO with a bit of the meat sauce. Wish me luck!

Hello! My LO had his first meal today and received mixed results. I think it was more of an ordeal for me than it was for him!

I'm almost positive that I will be haunting this thread now looking for advice/support/inspiration! :haha:

:wave: Nervous_1!! Erins first taste was comical! Its just new and she got used to it! Good luck hun!

Thanks CeriB! It's scary stuff this weaning malarky!!

We're still behind everyone despite being 7 months now :cry: I'm not that fussed about weaning really, but shes also awful with milk so needs calories from somewhere.

LO manages a few baby spoons of baby rice and pear in the morning and occasionally at night, but refuses everything else
I tried other flavours but she hated it and went off food totally for a few days because of it.
I tried a more BLW approach with steamed veg, apricot, pear, broccoli etc and she hates it, screams when it gets stuck in her hands, flails about and gets really upset.
The only thing she enjoys are 'baby mum mums' which are rice crackers (kind of like rusks but for allergy babies)

She had a week or so doing really well, but as soon as she started teething it all went to sh*t. She also refusing almost all milk and barely taking 10oz a day

When does it get easier? Feeling crappy today.

well ladies, last few days LO has been enjoying he food (knda!)

She had brocolli, cauliflower ad carrots yesterday for dinner. She was seriously unimpressed with the brocolli and kept looking at it funny. She did try some, but wasnt too keen.
She definitely liked the cauliflower best, and managed to swallow quite alot of that, at least it looked like it. And she enjoyed munching on the carrot, but she kept gumming off massive bits that were too big for her to chew in her mouth.

She gagged once with the carrot, and once with the cauliflower... but over all, I think it went well.

Only thing... I had to sit her in her buggy, as OH was awaand hd her bumbo with him... and we havent bought a high chair yet!

Attachments

• DSCF3049.jpg
    DSCF3049.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF3048.jpg
    DSCF3048.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF3045.jpg
    DSCF3045.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF3046.jpg
    DSCF3046.jpg