New Weaners

LO gagged horribly on toast this morning. It was so awful for me to sit there and watch him struggle. He eventually spat it back out.

LO gagged horribly on toast this morning. It was so awful for me to sit there and watch him struggle. He eventually spat it back out.

I know its scarey, but its actually quite brilliant!! He obviously knows what to do with it and can easily move it around his mouth and spit it out if he needs to :thumbup: Thats good!

Never been so happy to find little black specks in LO's poo haha, gave her banana a couple days ago, it's great to know she is actually swallowing some food!

Today we have had:

Porridge

Chicken, broccolli, cauliflour, carrots, potato.

Melon and pear

LO doesnt seem to like broccolli, every time i offer it it's always thrown straight onto the floor haha!

ETA- how long after a milk feed do you give food? I've been giving LO food around 30 mins after her bottle and this seems to be working out good so far x

I get a bit excited when I see food bits in a nappy! Its really quite sad, isn't it :haha:

Well, I was out today from 8.30-3pm and left DH in charge .... not the best idea!! Erin had half her porridge because "she kept grabbing the spoon" :dohh: and didn't have any lunch because "she was screaning so much I had to take her out in the car" :wacko: At least I managed to get her to take a good tea when I got back - sausage, chips and bean juice :haha:

The weaning is going very slow over here. I just give bits here and there nothing substantial. He had some watermelon tonight and liked it.

Don't worry; we are taking it very slowly too, LO is still on 2 meals (or 1.5 as sometimes one of the meals is more like a healthy snack). He had cauliflower today and has been developing quite an impressive not-quite-pincer grip, its more of a two finger and thumb pincer grip but he can pick up pretty small stuff for his age. He picked apart the cauliflower into small pieces, ate quite a lot and then started on the oven chips (he had brocolli and carrots also but mostly ignored those), but when he was having the oven chips he started gagging terribly even though not much was in his mouth; I was a bit mystified but he ended up throwing up loads of cauliflower; more than I remembered him actually eating, he did continue eating after I'd cleaned up the mess but he was understandably a bit wary of the cauliflower. Cauliflower made a couple of my other LOs sick at first so maybe will steer clear of it for a while xx

The weaning is going very slow over here. I just give bits here and there nothing substantial. He had some watermelon tonight and liked it.

Thats brill! Slow and steady wins the race, and all that jazz :thumbup:

Don't worry; we are taking it very slowly too, LO is still on 2 meals (or 1.5 as sometimes one of the meals is more like a healthy snack). He had cauliflower today and has been developing quite an impressive not-quite-pincer grip, its more of a two finger and thumb pincer grip but he can pick up pretty small stuff for his age. He picked apart the cauliflower into small pieces, ate quite a lot and then started on the oven chips (he had brocolli and carrots also but mostly ignored those), but when he was having the oven chips he started gagging terribly even though not much was in his mouth; I was a bit mystified but he ended up throwing up loads of cauliflower; more than I remembered him actually eating, he did continue eating after I'd cleaned up the mess but he was understandably a bit wary of the cauliflower. Cauliflower made a couple of my other LOs sick at first so maybe will steer clear of it for a while xx

Havent tried Cauli yet, not too sure what she would make of it tbh. She quite like chips too - I guess it is the mushy inside that makes them gag a bit as Erin does the same, even tho there is only chip mush in her mouth!

We kinda fell into 3 meals a day - She had a late nap on tuesday so i knew she wouldn't be tired at her normal time, so me and DH had tea. She kept staring at us so I set her up in her chair and gave her some bits. It was the most sucessful meal ever!!!!!! I guess because it was a tasty meal with sauce? I dunno, but it worked :thumbup:

Hes had no problem with chips (or homemade chips or wedges) before so I am thinking it was the cauliflower, last time I gave him cauliflower he just licked it and threw it over the parapit of his highchair so didn't cause any problem but he ate quite a lot this time, the sick smelled quite awful as it was mixed with mummy milk kinda like off cauliflower cheese. Its fine if your LO is interested in three meals a day, my LO was just having breakfast at first but then he started getting upset at the time we are having our tea and making his 'hungry' sounds (kind of like an angry roaring sound lol) so it just fell into place to put him in the highchair and give him his food at the same time as us. He doesn't seem that bothered at lunchtime though sometimes he has brunch when we wake up late xx

We tried porridge on a preloaded spoon today :) it seemed to go down well :thumbup: I'm really quite impressed with her spoon skills.

Not sure my Mum whose house we stayed at last night was so impressed with me hand expressing in the kitchen to make it up :rofl:

I'm really looking forward to 6 months and being able to introduce other things! :happydance:

Am I ok to give oven chips or home made wedges before 6 months? :shrug:

I think so just check the ingredients of the oven chips as some have wheat flour coatings etc; the ones I have are just potatoes and sunflower oil xx

Has anyone that is doing Blw/finger foods given LO meat yet and if so what type and how did you prepare it?

I have; I've given big pieces of well cooked lamb but LO found them too hard to 'chew' and swallow even still; and beef mince in a sauce which he did manage to pick up the larger chunks of, chew and swallow. Not tried chicken or anything else yet. I have also given him boneless fish and he did well with that xx

I've given Erin chicken and pork - stir fried in a sauce. She did gum it quite a lot and sucked it until it was pretty much dry :haha: I guess she ate some too :thumbup: Also had chicken in a sandwich which went down really well! It was more of a paste, spread on the ciabatta.

Bad mummy here gave LO kiwi fruit... not knowing that it wasnt recommended *oops*... cut into wedges, LO devoured it! I am so shocked by how much she actually ate!

Going to introduce more foods slowly as shes not 6 months yet, so dont want to overload! It was great seeing her enjoy eating it so much, so I will continue to offer her different flavours/textures (although no more kiwi for a while (she has a little round rash, on the side of her mouth, Im guessing from the acidity))

I must bring this thread back to the top as I'm starting weaning this weekend - wish me luck!! x

^^ It is! We are gettin on fab with it! We bought it as a travel highchair mainly, but use it every day. We have another opne which is an all singing all dancing Graco number, but she seems too small for it atm. The Cosatto one is the prefect hieght and the tray is at the right level. The only thing is the straps don't go tight enough so she is a bit floppy in it. TBH, she hates being strapped in to anything so I only do up the waist straps and she is happy. Definitely recommend :thumbup:

We got the Mamas & Papas Flip & Fold highchair - it's a similar design to the Cosatto on the move but we found it cheaper in Argos :thumbup: LO can't sit unaided yet so I haven't tried it yet with her x

Good luck hun!!

Erin has been doing so well ..... she has dropped her nightfeed ..... and started STTN!!!!!!!!! I don't wanna jinx it but it has been a week now, so fx!!!!!!

Hows everyone else doing?

CeriB-that is most wonderful!!!!!

We are still moving along slowly. Yesterday Kieran had banana and yogurt for breakfast and then some avocado at dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->