Newborn + Toddler

A

Always&4ever

Is there anything I can do to make sure Jasmine won't hit the baby, like how can I include her so she doesn't get jealous, il be tandem feeding because I don't want to force Jasmine out of it until shes ready but is there anything else I can do?

I think the best thing you can do is include her in everything you can, that's what we did each time and we never had any of the jealousy issues or anything like that. Like for diaper changes they would help by bringing me stuff, or I'd let them take one of the tabs off so they felt like they were actually helping change them. We told them all the time what great big brothers they were, so helpful and all that. During feeding times..I didn't tandem so I'm not sure exactly how it will work if it's the same time, if her seeing the baby will make her want to nurse all the time but during feedings I would read to them, or they would get to watch a special show or something like that. I tried to put in an extra effort with them when I wasn't doing stuff for the baby too, like making special food...just cutting their sandwiches into cool shapes or something to them it was great, and really it was just an easy way to make them feel like I had done something special you know? I tried to include them as much as I could with anything, baths, playtime, diapers, packing the bag to go out.

I can honestly say that Toby has never, ever been nasty towards Erin....ever. She has however been hit by flying debris (toys, stacking cups actually) when he's thrown them about the room but no ill effects, just a little red mark which will fade.

Just be careful about the heavier toys that she could throw about and teach her to loving towards the baby. Encourage her to stroke and touch baby as much as possible, sometimes it can appear a bit rough for a newborn but the more you encourage them to touch baby, the less she'll want to grab the baby when you're out of the room. If she's a bit rough don't say "NO"....just say in a gentle voice "be gentle with the baby", I promise it makes a huge difference to screaming "NO".

Good luck:hugs:

I agree with Hevz actually showing her how to be gentle and talking nicely works much better than her getting in trouble when/if something happens. I'm sure it will all work out great though, good luck :hugs:

I hope so, Jasmine can be a meanie when she wants to

Try and be really positive with them... get Jasmine outside etc alot so she can run around and burn energy. Good luck!

Thanks and she will be 16months :) which she is now lol

I worried so much Jazzy and you know what shes fine!! She was a bit startled originally by Megans cry but we'd say 'awwwww' and stroke Megan or touch her lightly and Caitlin does the same. Let her sit on couch with us if she behaves (no jumping around) but generally shes perfectly fine with her.

We had a playpen which guarded Megan lol obviously Idon't leave bubs in a moses on a stand without you in room - Caitlin tries to look in an obviously it would tip over without them knowing its wrong.

Megan is mostly in bouncer/swing at Caitlins level now and yep had a bowl and book thrown at her but she didn't do it on purpose shes just playing and throwing things around.

I think (although its a constant on the go) the age gap for jealousy is just right.

Oh we also do the whole 'Hi Megan' with Caitlin and she waves at Megan now ...when one or other go into the same room.

theres 20months between lilly and lucas and shes completely fine with him, no jealousy or anything - it's like he's always been here and she'll never really remember when he wasn't here

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->