No more daytime naps?

muddles

Mummy of 2.
Reaction score
What age did your LOs stop having day time naps?

When my LO was tiny he would only have two 40min naps a day then by a year old he had cut the two naps to one and increased the length to around 1.5 hours.

For the past few weeks he has been fighting going for his afternoon nap and going to sleep at night (once he is asleep during the day he will sleep until you wake him up, and at night he will sleep for 11.5-12 hours). He will stand in his cot bouncing, shouting, point at the door saying 'yeah', throw his teddy out of the cot, cry....

Today I thought I'd try not putting him for a nap during the day and he kept going all day without flagging then went to bed no problem and was asleep in less than five minutes.

I would imagine that some days he will still grab a cat nap in his buggy or the car but is 18 months a bit young to stop napping? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part as I love my cup of coffee and watching some trash on tv for an hour whilst he naps? :lol:

Hi, my LO has just stopped this past week.He is very nearly 2 and most of his friends still nap.I am a bit sad as I loved those two hours each day to myself! YOu could keep putting him down for a little while longer but I think you will sense when is resisting all the time.Bad news eh! X

hey, my lo is 16 months and hes starting to stop napping :-(
weve had 2 days recently where hes made it through the day without a single nap. its co-incided with him sleeping better at night to be honest. he now sleeps 8pm untill 7/8am, which is amazing for us! if he wakes early, say 6am, he will have a good hour or two nap, but im finding when hes had a good 12 hours at night, he just doesnt need a nap in the day. he goes to bed at night much better too when he hasnt napped.
i must admit, i miss him napping as i too miss that coffee and trash tv break, but im much more gratefull that hes sortd his night sleep out now, as he used to be a terrible sleeper at night!

My LO never really napped, maybe 30 minutes but hasn't for a few months with the odd exception.

Oh this is a terrifying subject!! I get a solid 11am-2pm and will be forever mourning it

It depends on the child i think.

My eldest is 4 and he still naps most afternoons for 2-3 hours. Then goes to bed no problem and has 11-12 hours over night.

LO has a nap for around 2 hours and again sleeps 11-12 hours no problem over night.

They have both been through periods when they've not wanted the sleep but because i've not been convinced they were ready to drop the nap then i've encouraged a period of quiet time in their room and after a day or two of this they've gone back to napping.

Ditto...I treasured her nap even before my second arrived...now I have a baby and if I'm lucky they both sleep at the same time and the peace is amazing! I'm DREADING her dropping her nap :hissy:

OMG the very thought of no naps sends me shaking!! we still have a 1-2 hour nap at midday everyday, he has no choice ha ha

Ruby seems to need a nap some days but not others. She will sleep until she is woken up if she does go down. I usually draw the line at 1.5 hours to try and cut down on the bedtime sleep fighting but she has awful tantrums about being woken up, so sometimes I just think ah well I won't try and get her to nap today, especially if I don't need to get anything done.

She doesn't nap at nursery but does lie down with the other children for the duration of their nap! so that must help her a little having some quiet time.

I dread the time when she stops having daytime naps. Over the past couple of weeks she's been reluctant to take her naps; she'll stay awake playing in her cot for over an hour on some days, but eventually gives in and sleeps for 1.5-2hrs. I love it. I don't even want to think about her not napping, because that means I have to be 'mummy' continuously alllll day :shock:

Ds stopped having a daily nap at about 18 months. It wasn't worth the effort trying to get him to sleep! Some days he would have a nap but it ended up being late in the day and seriously messed up his bed time. So I went from trying so hard to get him to have a day time sleep to some days having a nightmare trying keep him awake! No way was he going to sleep between 4 and 5pm!

When he was 2yrs old we in the car for over 5 and half hours and he didn't even go to sleep! :dohh:

He has just turned 3 and has a daytime sleep once a month if I'm lucky :growlmad: Soemtimes he is just so tired he will nod off but it causes massive problems getting him to bed so I am glad that it isn't a regualr thing. He is generally awake from 6.30am until 8pm so I let him have chill out time in front of the tv when he is getting grumpy. Oh how I miss day time naps :sleep:

Charlie's naps are all over the place atm, up until a few weeks ago I was guaranteed 1.5-2hours after lunch every single day. Now he's definitely having a transitional period where it depends what time he gets up. On saturday morning he woke up at 8.45am so I knew he wouldn't need to nap all day - back to bed at 7pm no problems. Then on Sunday morning he got up at 7am so had a 1.5 hour nap after lunch :shrug: When I'm working he has to get up at 7am but I have to basically force him out of a sleep (which I hate doing) and he doesn't like it one bit! He will nap at nursery cos he's up early, but the weekends are hit and miss but at least I can gage it buy what time he wakes up :flow:

Madeleine stopped having naps just before Mojo was born. So she would have been nearly 3.

Lily has one nap a day still and I'm also dreading her dropping it :lol:

I work from home so I get stuff done while she naps, and then in the evenings. Dread to think how late I'll be up once she drops the nap!

Daisy has stopped too :( if she has a bad night and is up at 5-6 she might have an hour in the morning!

Thanks very much for all the replies ladies. Really does depend on the child by the sounds of things.

When he has a daytime nap it is a battle to get him to go down for his daytime nap then more of the same at bedtime. When he doesn't have a daytime nap he goes to sleep at night time no problem and sleeps for 11.5-12.5 hours.

Yesterday I let him have a daytime nap as he seemed to want it, then it took me over half an hour to wake him then he was super grumpy until bedtime, and then OMG he point blank refused to go to sleep until 11pm when he usually goes to sleep no later than 8pm!

I think I will let him have a short nap in his buggy or the car if he needs it but not bother with a daytime nap in his cot. I think we will have a quiet half an hour in front of the tv in the afternoon and some stories so he can unwind for a little while (and I can have a coffee) I wonder if he will like watching Made in Chelsea? :lol:

Thanks very much for all the replies ladies. Really does depend on the child by the sounds of things.

When he has a daytime nap it is a battle to get him to go down for his daytime nap then more of the same at bedtime. When he doesn't have a daytime nap he goes to sleep at night time no problem and sleeps for 11.5-12.5 hours.

Yesterday I let him have a daytime nap as he seemed to want it, then it took me over half an hour to wake him then he was super grumpy until bedtime, and then OMG he point blank refused to go to sleep until 11pm when he usually goes to sleep no later than 8pm!

I think I will let him have a short nap in his buggy or the car if he needs it but not bother with a daytime nap in his cot. I think we will have a quiet half an hour in front of the tv in the afternoon and some stories so he can unwind for a little while (and I can have a coffee) I wonder if he will like watching Made in Chelsea? :lol:

That should be enough to bore him to sleep :haha: ;)

:ignore: :ignore:

Those two-three hours on a Monday and Tuesday (when I'm not in work) are hours sent from heaven. I don't want them to ever be taken away from me :cry:

That should be enough to bore him to sleep :haha: ;)

:rofl: I love trash, and just can't believe those people are 'real'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->