Not pumping enough... Help!

Weebles

Reaction score
DD is six months old and I've been back to work since she was 12 weeks. Initially I was pumping more than enough and had a freezer full of milk. Now she's downing what I pump the day before plus a bag from the freezer so basically two days worth of pumped milk. My stash is dwindling at an alarming rate.

I pump on average 4 oz at a time. This has been steady since I returned to work and while it used to yield more than enough it's just not enough any longer. I need to pump twice the amount of milk. I really don't want to supplement with formula if I can avoid it.

DH also feeds her purée while I'm at work to sorta help fill her up but I'm at a loss for how to increase what I am able to pump.

DD is six months old and I've been back to work since she was 12 weeks. Initially I was pumping more than enough and had a freezer full of milk. Now she's downing what I pump the day before plus a bag from the freezer so basically two days worth of pumped milk. My stash is dwindling at an alarming rate.

I pump on average 4 oz at a time. This has been steady since I returned to work and while it used to yield more than enough it's just not enough any longer. I need to pump twice the amount of milk. I really don't want to supplement with formula if I can avoid it.

DH also feeds her purée while I'm at work to sorta help fill her up but I'm at a loss for how to increase what I am able to pump.
It could be natural changes I know when my dd was about 4 months I was maybe able to pump 8 Oz in a 8 hr period and now I can't pump at all my supply is really bad but she's 2 so it's not so bad. I tried mothers milk tea you can buy it online and some stores it's expensive but it does help increase supply if you start it early enough. Also make sure you are drinking enough water and pumping when you feel the urge. For me it was a tingle in the boobs but if you ignore it it can make it worse. Good luck

Drink lots of water, eat oatmeal every day, drink mother's milk tea, lactation cookies, add brewer's yeast to other baking. That's all I know of to boost supply. Good luck!

How often do you pump at work? You may need to do it more frequently to boost your supply. Also like the others said a ton of water and lactation cookies x

I am lucky enough to be able to nurse once during my shift and I pump once (but only once) as well. My DH is truly wonderful for bringing DD to me. I think my supply would have decreased much sooner if he wasn't so dedicated. I wish I could pump more but then I'd never get out on time and it's tough to do as it is.

I will try to drink more water. I know I don't drink enough and it couldn't hurt. I don't know how I feel about the tea but I will try to find some of the lactation cookies this weekend. I hope they're delicious.

I guess I'm just feeling a little more down about it than I should since she's started solids. I really love nursing my baby girl.

Ahh it's a tough one! Sounds like pumping more could really do you some good as your supply dwindles if you're not going on demand and especially not being near your lo all day your body is not getting those hormones either so it's a double whammy! but if it's not possible to pump more then give the other options a try and see how you go. Going back at 12 weeks must have been tough for you! Plus not a very long amount of time to build up a regular supply as over the months their needs change as to how often and effective they get at feeding so you're on the back foot from the beginning. But i know lots of people that eventually reduced down to just morning and night feeds as they are starting to wean off boob so at least your body has certain times that you will always feed so it knows to produce then and hopefully you can carry on feeding for a while longer x

Are you using a double pump? That helps me pump more. Drink tons of water, eat oatmeal, and pump as often as you can. I pump before work, once at work, and when I get home from work. If she’s 6 months old you can start feeding more solids and less milk during the day. Around 6 months is actually when I stopped pumping during the day and just fed solids and a little juice during the day and then nurses morning/night.

Are you doing a paced feeding method? Or is DH? EBF babies generally eat between 3-4 ounces regardless of age (so i was told by lactation consultant). It's our breastmilk that changes to accommodate baby. That said, paced feeding will help your little one distinguish between being satisfied/full and overeating. Regardless, if you truly feel your supply is truly dwindling, i would contact a lactation consultant and inquire about methods to increase supply. My local hospital provides that service for free. Or you can contact a La Leche League near you.

My supply had issues due to my DD’s bad latch, and “Mother’s Milk Plus” supplements actually, legitimately helped! I soon was able to pump and instead of getting 2oz each side, I would get 3-4oz each side!

If you want to order some, just look it up on Google. Lots of retailers have it.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->