November Due Dates (cont)

Is everyone doing birthing classes? I was actually planning to forego all of these. Might be naive, but I just figured with all the reading I've done already, and with all those years of evolution behind me, I should probably be okay. I do want to take the hospital tour in October, though.
I learned n-o-t-h-i-n-g at all from mine and got scared more than I ever was in my life. I wrote about it a lot in my journal, as well as the blog. Ick. And this is coming from someone who actually did all the planning and preparation on her own, too, so I don't even want to imagine what it was like to those who had no clue when they first stepped into that conference room.

The alternative sessions, however, I'm looking forward to because they're held by people who I want to do business with a lot more than the hospital (hospital is, unfortunately, a must for us because we don't know if the baby will come out healthy, or in need of immediate care). They do things the way I want them done and overall support natural birth, breastfeeding, etc. From them, I might hear things I've never heard before, or simply just go over topics I'd like to discuss.

Hi Ladies! Just checking the board after being gone all weekend... so much to catch up on so I didn't even try :) I did good to read the last few pages of todays chat!

On the subject of classes, DH and I are taking a "baby basics" class that basically just goes over some "beginner points", like how to give a bath, how to change a diaper, etc. Since DH has zero experience with infants, I think it will be much more beneficial for him. I think it'll also give us the run down of what to expect once we check into the hospital, which is the information I really want to get out of it. It's only 3 hours, so we'll see how much they try to cram in there.

On Braxton Hicks... I don't think I've had any yet. Is it normal to not have/feel them at this point??

Doing the hospital classes, they run a course of 6 so it's the hospital tour, labour etc but it's mostly to do with what to do when you get baby home... that's the part I'm worried about xx

Is everyone doing birthing classes? I was actually planning to forego all of these. Might be naive, but I just figured with all the reading I've done already, and with all those years of evolution behind me, I should probably be okay. I do want to take the hospital tour in October, though.

I signed up for a childbirth classes last time a bit on the late side. My first class I was 35 weeks 5 days. Had my daughter at 36w2d, so it was the only class of the 5 session series I went to. I had my girl just fine.

i havent signed up for any childbirth classes. with it being my first. i guess i should... i plan on going natural if possible. i take maternity leave in 4 weeks so hopefully i can get something scheduled for then. ill be 35 weeks.

my 2nd to last birthing class is NOW, in 20minutes :D IT's not so bad, sometimes I think she says things that are wrong, but mostly it's pretty good. It's very weird because it's in German though :O:O

Whatwillbe we live in an estate now.. And have sheep in a field 30 mins away, but we ATM have a sick sheep do she's out the back garden eating my grass lol so we R the weird neighbours lol we dunno who it was! Neighbour said he was an older man and looked like a farmer... But sure here that could be anyone! Lol so nope we haven't a clue who it was ATM!

As for birthing classes, I did them with DS and found them crap! Oh delivers calfs and lambs, and I've delivered a lamb myself so if we end up doing it alone I think well be ok lol! Although hoping oh doesn't think he needs the big jack yolk he needs with calfs lol

On Braxton Hicks... I don't think I've had any yet. Is it normal to not have/feel them at this point??

Hi Mrs.326. My midwife said that first-timers sometimes don't get them/feel them at all... totally normal. That said I'm getting tons of them, but they are not painful like some here have experienced. Mine cause tightening, but no pain. They make it hard to stretch out. Mostly I prefer to sit down through them. Some say you can "walk them out", but mine seem to be triggered by walking/standing and they sometimes just stay on while walking for a while.

When i asked my midwife about antenatal classes today she said i should have already booked them and be going to them. Yet noone ever told me about them or how to book them!? grr. Do you just phone up your hospital to book them? :s

Im going to go to one or two but if they're as bad as everyone says I wont bother going to any more!

I only get 2/3 'classes'. From what I hear, they're more like lectures, none of this sitting down & breathing malarky. One on birth, one on 'the first days', i.e. what to do with a baby, how to bath etc. and one breastfeeding workshop which is optional.
The only one I think will be of any use is the breastfeeding one, but I'll go to them all anyway.

We were supposed to go to ante natal classes with Stephen ... and to be honest I'm glad we didn't in the end. What they tell you is never how it is and from what my friend said - she expected it to be the way they told them. Yet, the reality of a new baby was completely different. I find that you learn as you go and realise that every baby has a different temperament, different way of doing things, different likes and dislikes etc.

I live over in the states, so the classes may be a little different than the ones provided over there, however they are offered by the education department of the hospital I'll be delivering at.

So far I've taken:

Early Pregnancy - good, but I think more for the OH's in the group
Pregnancy Fitness and Nutrition - good, but not necessary if you just read a bunch online
Late Pregnancy - fantastic class where they went over what to look for if you think you are going into labor, when to call the hospital, every item they may use on you while you are delivering, and what to expect realistically if something doesn't go according to your birth plan. Also included a tour of L&D and PP recovery

Ones I have yet to take -
Preparing for Childbirth
Breastfeeding
Newborn Care

My thoughts on it are this - If you're not a first time mom, then the classes may be a waste of time. However, if you ARE a FTM like me, I've found all the classes to be at the very least somewhat helpful, and at the most very entertaining and educational. I always feel like I can't possibly know enough, so I'm taking everything they will pretty much offer on the topic.

Hi ladies,

Being back at work is sooo tiring and expecting with the kids back tomorrow I will be exhausted by the end of the day!
Well I will just have to resort to reading the last few pages of the days chit chat. There is no way I'm going to keep up with all that I've missed every day I'm working. Still working for the next 5 weeks at least.

As for classes - we were meant to have started NCT classes tonight - but it was cancelled so starting next week! We are going with open minds. Will listen to what they have to say and decide what applies to us! We have also signed up for water birthing class which I am looking forward to.

BooHoo time :cry:

OH came home around lunch time, which he never does, so I was so happy to see him. But he then informed me he only had enough time to pack because his company is sending him off again in a few hours and he is not sure for how long :growlmad:

Im pissed because he has been gone most of the summer, and just got home for what we thought was good last monday. Now they are already sending him out again. IM tired of the last minute crap they pull, and so is he!! I informed him as of October 1st he is not to travel period!! And I will go and tell them myself why he can't and they don't want me coming down there! Of course he laughed at the thought of a very pregnant short round girl screaming at these big greasy guys, but im seriouse as hell I will do it.

And to top it off, my grandmas 80th birthday is Saturday and there is a suprise party for her, and now he is not sure if he will make it.

Ok pitty party over. Time to make dinner for the little guy (who cried when he heard OH was gone again)

Awww :( Sorry Momma! I hate it when my DH goes. But it must be so much worse 1) when pregnant and 2) when it's unexpected!!!

:hugs: MommaB! I hate that he got pulled away last minute like that without a warning. Happens to my DH all the time, but usually they're just 3-5 day trips (actually, he went home at lunch today too to pack a bag for a 3 day trip they decided to send him on this morning). I can't imagine not knowing the duration of his trips... that part would really drive me insane! And I don't think you're crazy at all for wanting to go up there and tell them he's not going anywhere after a certain period. I actually had that conversation with my husband's boss already (who happens to be the owner of the company - but who cares!! He's not missing our son's birth!)

I'm so sorry MommaB! That really sucks, but you're right, he'll really have to put his foot down come October. How far away will he be? :hugs:

Thanks Sarah

It does suck when its unexpected. And just this last week I have been having a much harder time just doing the simpilest of things like walking the dog, or running to the grocery store. OH has been taking care of all these things while I clean and cook. I appreciate all he does and the sacrafices he makes, and I know it kills him to leave us so I try not to make a big deal about it when he is around so he doesn't feel bad for having to go. But it stinks. And DS gets really upset when is goes and this time when he left he was in school so he didn't get to tell him goodbye. Of course im hormonal and cried because I hate to see DS upset.

Thanks ladies.

Im sorry Mrs you OH got pulled away too!! OH boss is the owner as well so I might just have a nice chat here soon with him. Hope he understands as he was NEVER there when his girls where growing up, something he now regrets.

And bean, he will be 4 hours west in Kansas. I believe he will put his foot down come October.

I think what really gets to me is that one of the owners daughters OH works there as well, and has only been there for 4 months and he NEVER has to travel. Its just not right but I guess thats a perk when you sleep and impregnant the owners daughter

I live over in the states, so the classes may be a little different than the ones provided over there, however they are offered by the education department of the hospital I'll be delivering at.

So far I've taken:

Early Pregnancy - good, but I think more for the OH's in the group
Pregnancy Fitness and Nutrition - good, but not necessary if you just read a bunch online
Late Pregnancy - fantastic class where they went over what to look for if you think you are going into labor, when to call the hospital, every item they may use on you while you are delivering, and what to expect realistically if something doesn't go according to your birth plan. Also included a tour of L&D and PP recovery

Ones I have yet to take -
Preparing for Childbirth
Breastfeeding
Newborn Care

My thoughts on it are this - If you're not a first time mom, then the classes may be a waste of time. However, if you ARE a FTM like me, I've found all the classes to be at the very least somewhat helpful, and at the most very entertaining and educational. I always feel like I can't possibly know enough, so I'm taking everything they will pretty much offer on the topic.

I am in the States and my class covered pretty much all of these topics. It was a disaster, like I said.

Early pregnancy was more geared towards early/late teens who never had any sex ed in school, pretty much. Zero value.

Luckily they skipped the nutrition part, because I horribly disagree with anything and everything a person in a white coat has told me in the US about food. But that's because I don't eat the American diet, pretty much, so cutting down on soda intake and similar advice means nothing to me.

Late pregnancy and signs of labour made people panic, basically. According to our little nurse/instructor, you should run to the hospital to get tied up to machines and then immediately cut open if anything happens. Anything being early labour or broken waters, etc. Brrr. Scary. I actually argued with her for a while, then figured it was useless to waste my time and had a chat wity my doctor instead (he's from the same hospital, yet doesn't do the massacre-related things she talked about).

Preparing for Birth was tolerable, but the one about birth itself was way too scary, though. All I learned is that, once I step through the hospital door, someone is going to rip me open, pull the baby out and make sure I am high on all kinds of sedatives and other things. She also made sure that everyone knew they'd feel nauseated and that there will be puke leaking all over the place. Very encouraging things to be said in front of about 14 first-time-parents-to-be.

Breastfeeding class was okay, especially if you knew nothing about breastfeeding. But this one was not held by the same witch who did the rest.

Newborn care was okay. Especially the part where I finally learned something - dates when our department of transport, or whoever, will do child restraint system checkups for free.

Ick!

Can't wait for the other session to start. Hopefully those classes will feel like a toilet brush, wiping out this nasty content out of my head.

(I have to admit I love the Mayo clinic pregnancy book, which is again written by people who work for the hospital I go to. So I have no idea who prepared this childbirth education torture, or why the girl teaches is the way she did.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->