November Due Dates (cont)

I live over in the states, so the classes may be a little different than the ones provided over there, however they are offered by the education department of the hospital I'll be delivering at.

So far I've taken:

Early Pregnancy - good, but I think more for the OH's in the group
Pregnancy Fitness and Nutrition - good, but not necessary if you just read a bunch online
Late Pregnancy - fantastic class where they went over what to look for if you think you are going into labor, when to call the hospital, every item they may use on you while you are delivering, and what to expect realistically if something doesn't go according to your birth plan. Also included a tour of L&D and PP recovery

Ones I have yet to take -
Preparing for Childbirth
Breastfeeding
Newborn Care

My thoughts on it are this - If you're not a first time mom, then the classes may be a waste of time. However, if you ARE a FTM like me, I've found all the classes to be at the very least somewhat helpful, and at the most very entertaining and educational. I always feel like I can't possibly know enough, so I'm taking everything they will pretty much offer on the topic.

I am in the States and my class covered pretty much all of these topics. It was a disaster, like I said.

Early pregnancy was more geared towards early/late teens who never had any sex ed in school, pretty much. Zero value.

Luckily they skipped the nutrition part, because I horribly disagree with anything and everything a person in a white coat has told me in the US about food. But that's because I don't eat the American diet, pretty much, so cutting down on soda intake and similar advice means nothing to me.

Late pregnancy and signs of labour made people panic, basically. According to our little nurse/instructor, you should run to the hospital to get tied up to machines and then immediately cut open if anything happens. Anything being early labour or broken waters, etc. Brrr. Scary. I actually argued with her for a while, then figured it was useless to waste my time and had a chat wity my doctor instead (he's from the same hospital, yet doesn't do the massacre-related things she talked about).

Preparing for Birth was tolerable, but the one about birth itself was way too scary, though. All I learned is that, once I step through the hospital door, someone is going to rip me open, pull the baby out and make sure I am high on all kinds of sedatives and other things. She also made sure that everyone knew they'd feel nauseated and that there will be puke leaking all over the place. Very encouraging things to be said in front of about 14 first-time-parents-to-be.

Breastfeeding class was okay, especially if you knew nothing about breastfeeding. But this one was not held by the same witch who did the rest.

Newborn care was okay. Especially the part where I finally learned something - dates when our department of transport, or whoever, will do child restraint system checkups for free.

Ick!

Can't wait for the other session to start. Hopefully those classes will feel like a toilet brush, wiping out this nasty content out of my head.

(I have to admit I love the Mayo clinic pregnancy book, which is again written by people who work for the hospital I go to. So I have no idea who prepared this childbirth education torture, or why the girl teaches is the way she did.)

Oh, your class does sound weird. Hopefully mine is not that bad. Hopefully your hospital doesn't actually operate like that! My mom is a L & D nurse, so I know there are many hospitals that are kind and as respectful of your wishes as possible!

I didn't go to the class on pregnancy and nutrition, either. I've always eaten pretty healthfully. I'm a vegetarian (except for fish and the occasional chicken) and I've read a lot on nutrition and have strong views on nutrition so I figured I wasn't going to learn much new. I assumed that the nutrition class would cover the basics, like, "Eat something besides burger and milkshakes now that you're pregnant."

Oh mommab that sucks :( :( Hopefully, he won't be away for that long and back before you know it!!

Sounds pretty pointless, Jaz, gotta say. I have done my reading and we read birth stories on here all the time, I think that helps in preparation. I guess I feel in a way that going to one of these classes preemptively will make me feel somehow less prepared. I feel confident now that I can handle birth- that's the mindset I want to go in with! But, thanks for the reminder on the nausea from the drugs they offer. I am so easily nauseated. Honestly, rather be in severe pain than throwing up so if I can just ask myself "would you rather be puking?" that should keep me from caving on the drugs.

On another note, I actually don't find much value in the Mayo book. I don't know why, exactly. It just seems like anytime I look anything up I can easily say to myself "yeah, I've already read that elsewhere." I guess I've touched on most of this stuff and they don't go particularly in depth so I don't feel like it's of much value. I think I've just read too much stuff!

I feel the same, Oh_so. I mean, for someone who needs to learn their basics, the Mayo book is pretty good. If you know your way out of a paper bag, then there's not much to learn. But the concept is kind of fine. I also got it for free (I'm their patient), so I like it much more that way. :lol:

MommaB, bah! I hope your DH comes back really soon. :(

I think I might have experienced Braxton hicks but not sure..... Does your tummy just feel really tight and uncomfortable, like your skin is being stretched a lot and there's a lot of pressure on your tummy?

I'm booked in for 2 antenatal classes at my hospital - 2 consecutive Saturday's at 4 hours each then a breast feeding class for 4 hours

I think I might have experienced Braxton hicks but not sure..... Does your tummy just feel really tight and uncomfortable, like your skin is being stretched a lot and there's a lot of pressure on your tummy?

I'm booked in for 2 antenatal classes at my hospital - 2 consecutive Saturday's at 4 hours each then a breast feeding class for 4 hours

sounds like BH to me! that's what mine are like anyway.

All your wishing must have helped ladies :happydance:

OH walked in the door about an hour ago. Said they can't go since they couldn't get a flagman for the track they were suppose to be working on (railroad). Fingers crossed they don't find one for the rest of the week. He did say they mentioned he may be going south next week again :growlmad:

Eitherway I'm not going to dwell on it for now. Just going to hope he gets to stay for the weekend!

I think that reading the birth stories and taking part in online pregnancy communities really helped prepare me for my birth last time. The one session I made it to was really only an outline of what the rest of the classes would be like.

The only thing that I didn't research fully, and never got to experience in the class was techniques for coping with pain. Luckily most of my labor was really mild pain, but transition scared the crap out of me! I wasn't prepared for how quickly the pain ramped up and then the nurse was trying to get me to breathe slowly thru it (she was worried I would hyperventilate) and I'm thinking "How the HELL am I supposed to breathe slowly" I did a fair amount of thrashing around (and apparently hit my head on the bedrail?). Thankfully, it wasn't long at all before I got to the pushing stage. But on that front I really want to be better prepared this time.

I think that reading the birth stories and taking part in online pregnancy communities really helped prepare me for my birth last time. The one session I made it to was really only an outline of what the rest of the classes would be like.

The only thing that I didn't research fully, and never got to experience in the class was techniques for coping with pain. Luckily most of my labor was really mild pain, but transition scared the crap out of me! I wasn't prepared for how quickly the pain ramped up and then the nurse was trying to get me to breathe slowly thru it (she was worried I would hyperventilate) and I'm thinking "How the HELL am I supposed to breathe slowly" I did a fair amount of thrashing around (and apparently hit my head on the bedrail?). Thankfully, it wasn't long at all before I got to the pushing stage. But on that front I really want to be better prepared this time.

Yes, I love this thread and all of babyandbump.com. 1.) I can complain on here so I don't have to overwhelm family and friends and 2.) it's sooooo nice to talk to others who are going through the very same things! :hugs:

I agree Medieval. It's nice to chat with other ladies who are going through the same things at the same stage. We all seem to be in the same place as far as mind frame goes. Can you imagine if we were to chat in first tri threads about what we are experiencing? They would freak out :haha:

Got an odd thing going on with me this evening. Since OH came home, i noticed that one side of my body is swollen. Just the right side. I thought I was going crazy and asked OH if he could tell which hand and which foot and he picked the right ones as well. Has anyone had experience with only one side swelling? This is a new one for me. I havent been laying down either.

I wish we all lived in the same place - it would be lovely to have B&B meet ups!

OMG wouldnt that be fun!!! Can you imagine the conversations that would take place lol. It would be fun to have a mommy-to-be meet up.

Got an odd thing going on with me this evening. Since OH came home, i noticed that one side of my body is swollen. Just the right side. I thought I was going crazy and asked OH if he could tell which hand and which foot and he picked the right ones as well. Has anyone had experience with only one side swelling? This is a new one for me. I havent been laying down either.

MommaB - with one sided swelling you want to be careful. I had it happen and it turns out it was nothing... just that I was working out and somewhat favoring one side. However, they say that one sided swelling in a limb can happen because of a blood clot. So think about if you've been running around all day or exercising. Try laying down and elevating whatever is swollen to see if it helps. If it doesn't and the swelling is much larger than the other side, you may want to call the nurse on duty to see what they say.

Oh, the drama. Yet another circumcision thread in the 3rd tri. I'm taking bets on how many more will start before November gets here. I've got dibs on 6 more. lol!

Ugh, I have to present at my research group meeting this Saturday. I need to get this darned presentation together. I feel like I have too much data, it's all so hard to organize and interpret!

It'd be nice to have BnB meetups for the November ladies. Wouldn't it be neat if we could all do a multi-way video chat, especially once our babies are here? I can't wait to see all of our babies!!

My only problem with threads about circumsizing, or breastfeeding or cloth diapers vs disposables is that people are too judgemental about those who dont agree with them.
a topic is gonna be started over and over as new ladies enter different trimesters, that OP started off her circumsizing thread with 'i dont feel comfortable mutilating an innocent newborn baby, but...' and right there i knew the thread wasnt going anywhere.

OH rant!!

he is a damn slob!!!! I am so turned off and disgusted by him.
He works 10-12 hours 6 days a week in a pepsi warehouse, comes home, gets naked and lays in the bed. im just like WTF!!! We havent had sex in months because he thinks hes gonna hurt the baby and im totally okay with that. But i cant even cuddle with him! The smell of him from the warehouse is disgusting and when i tell him to take a shower he tells me, 'im too tired'. He gets up like 5 mins before he has to go to work, so he hops up.. uses the bathroom, takes a 30 second shower, gets dressed and out the door. I dont know the last time he has brushed his teeth. smh. i dont want any kisses any hugs.. no nothing. im just like get away from me. How do you not wash your damn ass!!!??? He leaves his clothes and shoes all over the place... all that I ask is just put them in the closet.. in the laundry basket and i will wash them!!! Sex i can deal without.. affection i CANNOT. I should not have to tell a 27 year old man to clean himself.

Ugh, destyni, that'd annoy me a great deal as well. But sometimes, there are people who need all kinds of instructions and guidelines, unfortunately. :/

Now I'm curious and will have to go look at the circumcision thread(s).

Yea I just saw the circ thread myself. It will get shut down in no time. That woman has some nerve!!

Oy, those threads never last.

I'm pretty middle of the road on the "hot button" issues. I guess it's good that people are firm in the stance, knowing what they believe, but I don't like when they get judgmental either.

(I have to admit I love the Mayo clinic pregnancy book, which is again written by people who work for the hospital I go to. So I have no idea who prepared this childbirth education torture, or why the girl teaches is the way she did.)
I love my Mayo book! Especially for early pregnancy. It's not been much help lately, but then nothing really happens at this stage in pregnancy for me :O. I'm planning on getting the baby version too :D

I always have one leg bigger than the other, but it's past injury related (I've probably said this before...). But yeah, make sure it's not in your calf or anywhere higher than your ankle.

Circumcision is illegal in Germany, as it interferes with the Childs right to self govern, and freedom of religion. I'm also just stating this :) (although I happen to agree :flower:) I'm going no where near that thread though!!!

Ewwww destynibaby! I sometimes tell my DH to have a shower before sex :blush: If he just happens to be a bit smelly that day... but generally he's a clean guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->