November Due Dates (cont)

I really don't know how to organize work. I am okay working all of this month, for sure. Or at least I hope we'll stay complication-free and that my only issue will be my own desire to just run away from this trash of a job (I really hate it every single bit of it, except for the fact that it pays really well, with good benefits, while I use about 3% of my brain capacity). Then afterwards, I don't know. We'll see, I suppose. I'm fairly sure I'll end up needing to quit, anyway, because I can't see them letting me stay home (unpaid, of course) for at least six months, and I am under no circumstances going to work before our little guy is at least six months old. (I wish and hope that I will be able to stretch it out a lot longer than that, too.)

We'll probably go with the practice that says that each parent (caregiver) should be consistent with the language use. This means I'd always have to speak Croatian to the baby, while my husband has to do English. Between the two of us, we of course do English. They say that's what works the best, so we'll give it a try. Per books I've been reading, it usually hits the kids around the school age, when they all of a sudden have no clue what they are saying and in which language, but they overcome the obstacle, for the most part, within a few months.

I really don't know how to organize work. I am okay working all of this month, for sure. Or at least I hope we'll stay complication-free and that my only issue will be my own desire to just run away from this trash of a job (I really hate it every single bit of it, except for the fact that it pays really well, with good benefits, while I use about 3% of my brain capacity). Then afterwards, I don't know. We'll see, I suppose. I'm fairly sure I'll end up needing to quit, anyway, because I can't see them letting me stay home (unpaid, of course) for at least six months, and I am under no circumstances going to work before our little guy is at least six months old. (I wish and hope that I will be able to stretch it out a lot longer than that, too.)

We'll probably go with the practice that says that each parent (caregiver) should be consistent with the language use. This means I'd always have to speak Croatian to the baby, while my husband has to do English. Between the two of us, we of course do English. They say that's what works the best, so we'll give it a try. Per books I've been reading, it usually hits the kids around the school age, when they all of a sudden have no clue what they are saying and in which language, but they overcome the obstacle, for the most part, within a few months.

We should keep in touch about this language learning thing through the years. I have another woman who's doing the same thing that sent me a message. Maybe we could get a group together. I doubt that we'll be able to get OH to speak always in Arabic to the baby. He's lived here since he was 16, he's very used to speaking English. He only speaks Arabic on the phone to his family. I think it will take a big commitment on his part to try to speak to baby in Arabic when I'm not there even.

OH is probably going to stay home with our baby boy since he's currently unemployed and was just trying to finish up some coursework to get into a university. Since I'm hoping to finish my degree by the end of next summer that puts us in limbo at that point anyway, so it would be kinda silly for him to try for a particular university at that point since most important thing will be for me to get a good paying job so we are financially sound. I'm a little jealous he gets to stay with baby, but I'm hoping he'll bring him up to my lab once during the workday so we can breastfeed and I can spend a little time with them. I told him if he doesn't do it I'll put baby in daycare where I can walk over. lol! OH is actually really excited to spend his time with the baby. He's always telling me what they're going to do in the days. It's very cute. :kiss:

I'm absolutely up for a group, Facebook, anything. I own my own forum, too, so we can eventually move there, as well, and talk about it in private.

I've been here for three years, but I've been speaking English since i can remember pretty much. Not at home, though, but I'm the only one in the US, so I'm sure it will take a lot of effort to remember to speak Croatian to, well, a little supposedly-English-speaking person.

But we'll see! The main reason I want him to learn the language is to get prepared to easily learn some other, more useful ones. English is very, very easy and it lacks a lot of grammar rules many other languages have. Croatian works that way, so it can serve in that field.

As to the language, yes, we really want the baby to learn both. It's imperative actually. I have read that OH should speak to him in Arabic always when I'm not there. And that babies are slower to speak if they are learning two languages, but that when they start they catch right up and make sense of it all. Will be so cool to see. I can't speak Arabic. It's a hard tongue, there are sounds I simply can't make. I can hear them now, but can't make them.

We're also doing bilingual. DH will speak a lot of German to the LO, especially when they are together alone. I'll also read to her and things. Actually it doesn't matter too much if I also speak german to the little one. We're really concerned to get her German right as she will eventually grow up in New Zealand. And we both would prefer to speak english at home in the end. So the hard one is definitely German :). Although she'll be having contact with her German family, so I'm sure she'll pick up a lot from them too.

That sounds good, Jaz. Neat you have your own forum, btw. We can def do FB as well. Anyone who wants can look me up I think. Angela Bruneau. I'd be glad to be friends with any of the lovely ladies in our group, actually. If you send me a request please put your BnB name in the message so I know who it is. There are a few weirdo FB trolls on this site I think, I won't be friending them. I'm not a 1000 friend facebooker and don't like spam. lol! I'll pull my name out of this post in 48 hours. :p

But, yeah, I think learning a second language, whatever it is, is great. I plan to read to the baby in French, too, even though for me It's not a native language. I've taken a couple years of it anyhow, and would like the baby to know it, but as a third language to English and Arabic. Those are most important for him to communicate with his family. :) I'm not sure if/when I should introduce French.

I love the bumps! I'd love to friend you too oh_so, if you don't mind.

Nice bumps, everybody!

In other news, woke up on the wrong side of the bed today and am in foul mood, but happy to feel baby moving around so much! Sometimes it feels like she is right there on my right hip, but I don't know how that's possible?!

Whats your current picture oh-so? :)

haha! This thread moves so fast. Mine is back on page 252, second post. Here's a link: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-groups/1111223-november-due-dates-cont-252.html

Awhh lovely bumps girls :) I'll take my 30 week one Sunday! Need to get a few more tops! I still fit in all pre preg trousers and jeggings etc but tops now think I'm down to my last few!

Awhh lovely bumps girls :) I'll take my 30 week one Sunday! Need to get a few more tops! I still fit in all pre preg trousers and jeggings etc but tops now think I'm down to my last few!

They just get shorter and shorter, don't they? lol!

I found 4 people with your name oh_so. I don't know who is you!

I got stuck trying to figure out which one is the right Oh_so, as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->