~~~November Sparklers 2010 mummies and daddies thread ~~~~

hey all :wave:
hope you all had good christmasses. Sorry i've been MIA we've just got back from my grandmas where Raphaëlle has been well and truly spoilt, with attention and presents!
I dont have time to attempt to catch up with everyone but i hope everyone's well and i really hope Libby gets better soon GG :hugs:
and welcome over shannon and tori :D..xx

Hi everyone!
Hope you all had a great Christmas and looking forward to 2011 with our LO's. Glad Bryelle is getting better and gorgeous photos of Evan and Leo.
Happy birthday for tomorrow Jo.

Madelyn is 8lbs 7oz 21in long, she was weighed today. :) I was hoping for 9lbs+ but I am happy enough with over 1lb gain in less than a month.

We have a birthday tomorrow?? Exciting, happy birthday jo (which jo???) :haha:

gemma I would love to meet half way :) find where half way is and if there I'd any cool kiddie things around!!

I've been looking at jumperoos today, the fisher price forest one as evan ready has the ocean wonder swing anyone else bothering with one or have one???

My won won't play ball and smile at the camera. Smiles every other bloody time!!

I thought it was FGS's birthday tomorrow? :blush:
I feel like an awful mummy, I'm holding Erin, OH threw a cookie at me and it hit her on the forehead-she screamed, hope she doesn't have a headache now :nope:

lol y was he throwing cookies.. im sure she is fine.

i think the rainforest one looks best, check ebay i think thats what i might do .

il check half way now, were u from?

i thiink we are looking at a 2 1/2 hr drive lol if you live in hastings

Ahh Happy Birthday for tomorrow Jo :)

Yeah Hastings normally or Croydon if I come from mums. What place was half way? Birmingham or Nottingham or something?

It is do-able if we want to. Other thing is to make a night of it and stay over either mine or yours. We can have a think about it :)

I shall fight you on ebay for one then Gemma :haha:

Wish I could meet some of you ladies (and your babes of course)! :(
I am jealous, lol.

Please excuse the me me me post - I have posted this in the BFing forum too but I really would appreciate your input:

I have a dilema and I need your help....

Leo is exclusively fed on BM and EBM (one bottle a day average).

He has however recently been using me as a dummy to settle (I think the suckling motion helps his wind) rather than feed.

I really didnt want to give him a dummy for a few reasons, one being that I dont want his latching reflex to be affected.

My sore nipples and lack of toilet time have however taken me as far as sterilising the "evil object".

I suppose my two questions are 1) will I really be a bad mother if I give in and 2) will it affect his latching?

Thanks in advance
Jo
xx

nothing wrong with a dummy, they recommend one nows for sids and nah i think he is old enough to take one without confusion, some babies just need to suck it releases soothing chemicals in their brain...

soph - defo will arrange something

just watched john bishops elvis has left the building dvd - he really cracks me up, been in tears of laughter x

Please excuse the me me me post - I have posted this in the BFing forum too but I really would appreciate your input:

I have a dilema and I need your help....

Leo is exclusively fed on BM and EBM (one bottle a day average).

He has however recently been using me as a dummy to settle (I think the suckling motion helps his wind) rather than feed.

I really didnt want to give him a dummy for a few reasons, one being that I dont want his latching reflex to be affected.

My sore nipples and lack of toilet time have however taken me as far as sterilising the "evil object".

I suppose my two questions are 1) will I really be a bad mother if I give in and 2) will it affect his latching?

Thanks in advance
Jo
xx

No!! You won't be a bad mother!

As GG said, some babies need to suck, our LO definitely needs his dummy! We give it to him if we know he's not hungry, just to help him settle if he's upset or to help him to get to sleep. Once he drops off he usually spits it out.

I haven't had any problems with his latch either, as far as the dummy goes. He seems to realise that he isn't trying to get anything out of it, whereas with the boob he has work to do! I know that some people have trouble with their babies not taking a dummy because they give it a few sucks and realise there is no milk there, but our LO seems to understand the difference. You might need to try several types of dummies - we tried Closer to Nature and Avent before discovering the MAM ones which he'll take.

I don't particularly like the look of babies with dummies, but as long as you're not using it to shut them up, and it's being used to soothe them at bedtimes or fussy times when you know there is nothing else wrong, then it's perfectly appropriate and I see it as meeting your babies need in the best way.

They do say that reflex goes after about 6 months so it's a good idea to remove the dummy if you can around about that age, to avoid the bigger battle you'd have taking it away when they are older and more wilful.

Good luck, let us know what you decide x

Echo the others!! Evan has a dummy too (MAM one) because he was using me as a soother and I couldn't carry on like that. He has never had an issue with his reflex either. Only problem is the little bugger spits it out and I have to put it back in grrrr!!

OK so I have a MAHOOSIVE problem and am at my wits end. As you all have babies who sleep well you should beable to help :haha:

As you know I havent really had a bedtime routine with Evan (rod and back come to mind I know) Well I finally got some batteries for the mobile I got given with a lightshow and lullaby and Evan was showing signs of being knackered at 8pm so decided to put him to bed. Just so you know I am in bed next to the crib with an Evan who has TWICE dropped off to sleep and both times woken up again :(

Problem is his belly and trapped wind. I dunno if it something I am just gonna have to live with till he grows out of it but it puts all attemptes of going to bed at a reasonable hour at zero.

I have tried infacol, colief drops, gripe water, bicycling his legs, rubbing his belly burping him you name it. But he also wakes up crying and farting :( Before I have just fed him through it as it soothes him but have stopped that now as I felt I needed other ways to deal with it.

He is whinging now on and off and just dunno what to do about it. He is totally knackered. But it is like everytime his stomach cramps up I suppose then he lets out a fart which is obviously painful.

It happens only when I try to put him to bed so tonight earlier than normal. I know a lot of babies go through this but I am totally at a loss of what to do.

I'd like him to go to bed and settle as he actually goes to sleep pretty well and quickly its just he can't stay asleep and I hate him in pain :(

Megan only occasionally takes her dummy but i really wanted her to have one as they are recommended to reduce risk of sid! I gave her a dummy when we were still in hospital and she manages to feed just fine!

Last few days i have found it REALLY hard to settle Megan in her crib, she just wants to be in my arms all the time! :(

Thanks ladies for your help - I have a closer to nature dummy in the steriliser which shall be used if he doesn "settle" after his next feed.

Why do I feel so scared, reluctant and "bad" for doing this *screams*!!

Soph I'm sorry but I dont really have any advice, you seem to be doing all the right things - have you spoken to your HV about it?

Jo
xx

Because we all want robotic babies that do as they should in the textbook and the fact is we don't and therefore have to resort to other means to deal with our "normal" babies!! Therefore we feel guilty that our baby is not normal like in the textbook, when actually our babies are normal and textbook, robotic babies rarely exist :hugs:

Well I have swaddled Evan. I haven't done so since he was 5 days old as he hated it. I was desperate and thought I'd give it a go. Well he didn't protest, he fell asleep in my arms, I put him in the crib, he woke up but fell straight back to sleep.

And is now attempting a break for freedom... I give up :D :D :D

No Jo I haven't, I ne ver speak to the HV, except when I get Evan weighed which I won't do again here as clinics are random times and not til after I move. Plus when I contacted them about his screaming fits and sickyness they just told me it was colic, when it was infact reflux :dohh:

Thanks Soph you made me feel better. I'm feeling rather hormonal, old and pissed at OH. Oh, and really excited at having the coil fitted in the morning :rolleyes: after the 6 weeks I've had someone else is gonna be having a furtle up my cookie!!!

Not that OH better be thinking he's getting any until I hear the words "I'm sorry".

My two girls loved swaddling, Leo on the otherhand is not a fan.

I really can't think what else you can do. When are you back home and near your own clinic.

Jo
xx

Moving back next Saturday :happydance:

Poor Evan. Its like hes in a straightjacket :rofl:

Plus he's just cottage cheese puked over my boob (I tried the quick feed = Sleep trick didn't work grrr!!) I've put him back in crib wide awake now. If I get fuck all sleep tonight tough cos he is staying in that fucking crib even if he stays wide a bloody wake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->