November Sparklers 2014....22 boys, 22 girls born! Please update us!

Hi ladies,

It's been a while since I posted here. I decided to take a break from bnb until I'm past the first trimester since I didn't like to see all the sad stories that I read in the first tri thread. I'm excited to be back...hopefully you don't mind if I jump right back in.

Hi everyone,

I have had a wee break from B&B as honestly I was a bit hormonal the sad stories were a bit much and I was mega jealous of all the scans as I was pretty far on and the stinking NHS gave me a late appt again! (had this problem last time!)

anyway my scan is finally on Tuesday but ill be nearly 14 weeks by then so I hope we can at least get some good pictures.

Desperate to just let the news out its been murder keeping quiet all this time and my tummy is starting to give me away!

I hope everyone is well, I guess im in the second trimester now! (my ticker is wrong by 2 days)

Welcome back ladies...second tri is definitely a relief :thumbup:

Love the announcement mummytoamber :happydance:

Oh wow, this forum sure gets busy! A lot posted already in one day!

Great scans, ladies! I cannot wait for when we start getting THE gender scan :happydance:

Age is totally a relative thing, IMO. When I had DD at 35, I felt old, but now... naah! So for me having kids in your early 30s is not old at all, though I know we each have our own preferences, and again it's a relative thing :) So long as you feel you're ready emotionally and psychologically to raise a child, and you take good care of your health, you're good :)

Who here is having their second? I'm beginning to see how I'm approaching this pregnancy a lot different from my first so I'm curious to know others' perspective.

In my first, my primary concerns were how labor would feel (I was so nervous!), making sure I have all the baby stuff ready for when the baby arrives, etc. Now it's... preparing myself for the sleepless nights I will have especially in the first few months, crunching numbers to fit in the extra money needed in our budget, etc haha

In my first, my primary concerns were how labor would feel (I was so nervous!), making sure I have all the baby stuff ready for when the baby arrives, etc. Now it's... preparing myself for the sleepless nights I will have especially in the first few months, crunching numbers to fit in the extra money needed in our budget, etc haha

Sooooo true. DD is a handful as it is, I'm nervous about bringing a second one into the mix. And the sleepless nights?!?? Gah! Those first few weeks were rough. We were blessed with a good night sleeper so that always helped, so I'm hoping our 2nd is the same. Ha! Probably not. Oh well.

I'm dreading that 2nd daycare bill. We need both incomes to make it work, and we make exactly the same amount of money - so we literally each bring in half of the income, and can't afford to cut our income to 50%. Two daycares...$350 per week. $1400 per month. I think I'm going to cry just thinking about it. Although DD will be almost 3 when Baby goes into daycare, so we might start looking into other (cheaper) programs, like preschools or Mother's Day Out programs (assuming our schedules can accommodate).

My announcement had to totally change my idea as i cant travel anywhere still, im bursting to tell :haha:

Here is my scan too.

https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/rammstein_666/pizapcom1016832530498504641398438421158_zps016cd9dd.jpg

Such a cute annoucement!!!

I'm on my 2nd Rame...it's definitely different ths time round.
I'm struggling with a lot of guilt for both babies :dohh:
Also struggling a lot more with my body this time round, but I'm excited as I know how wonderful t will be and I'm savouring every moment even more! Xxx

Quick question for those that have had 4d scan before.

When did you have it and how good did you see baby?

I had my last one at 27weeks and she looked very squashed and had her foot in her face whole time.

Earliest is 24 weeks but thinking baby might be to 'slim' still.

Congrats on the the scan mummytoamber. I had my 4d scan at 28 weeks and it was perfect so maybe depends on position? DS was breech.

Well I'm still worried about labour since DS was c-section still no idea how I will cope aiming for vbac.

As for sleepless nights? DS didn't sleep through the night until 8 months. He would wake up every 3 hours ish. Now he sleeps so well it will be a shock again.

Talking about sleepless nights; I didn't sleep through until I was about 9 (my poor parents!) so I hope our child isn't anything like me!!!

This is my first and I feel like I am not doing enough research. Should i be reading more? And so much stuff to learn about so I know what to buy. Agh!

This is my first and I feel like I am not doing enough research. Should i be reading more? And so much stuff to learn about so I know what to buy. Agh!

I feel exactly the same! I have no idea where to start or where to stop with buying stuff because you really can go crazy buying baby stuff!

Any experiences mummy's want to advise on things maybe first timers defo don't need?! Or general buying advice?

I didn't buy much with F. We were team yellow so I just bought a first set of vests and babygros and neutral towels and Muslim cloths.
We did buy the Moses basket, car seat and buggy.
I would say leave buying certain things until baby is here as you might not need them or the baby might not like them...e.g F never liked the swing chair we chose when she was a few days old, we chose a vibrating one and she never really sat in it but loved the swinging one at my parents' house :dohh: Also we got bought a towelling ramp thing for the bath that F ended up loving, but friends bout those bath seat things and found their babies didn't like them
Also we got bought so many generous and thoughtful little gifts, that we got a lot of newborn clothes and things we never used!

Best thing is don't panic. All you have to have is a first couple of vests and babygros, 1 pack of nappies and a car seat if you are driving home from the hospital!! I was told so often that babies used to sleep in the bottom drawer!! Anything else can be bought as you need it in the first few days. Xxx

I think once youve had first you learn so much that when you have second you no you only need 1/4 of stuff you had last time lol plus some mums dont need 1 thing then others do.

Id say be shocked how little you need in the beginning a lot buys can be put ofc until later.

One of major things we havent done with our babies is nursery room, that can take massive chunk your budget.
We always kept them in with us (plus i did do a lot co-sleeping with my youngest) till 8-12 months again each to their own.

Baby towels seem bit pointless to me and cost more.
I had plastic changing station with bath tub in top - nightmare. Felt uncomfortable for me to use baby in and emptying wasnt straight forward.

Biggest money waste i bought was nappy wrapper. yuk!

Best buy was bottle warmer with night light/cooling box.

Swinging chair got little use, but enjoyed bouncey chair.

I say if you unsure ask here and see what peoplez opinions are on them :)

It's my first too and I am pretty clueless. From talking to my SIL and some friends with kids they say you really don't need as much as you think you do. Once we find out the gender, we'll go register.

You "need" diapers, wipes, a carseat and probably a stroller, and a place for baby to sleep. Crib, bassinet, Moses basket, or whatever works for you. Everything else is optional. For all the "nice to haves," check out resale shops or friends whose little ones are a little bigger. We got our crib as a hand-me-down, borrowed a bassinet, swing was borrowed, bouncy seat was a hand-me-down. We bought car seat and stroller new, that's about it.

That being said, my favorite optional items were:
-a diaper caddy (diapers and wipes in one spot, plus a compartment for diaper cream, etc). We always changed DD on the floor so it was nice to carry from room to room.
-a wipe holder, but only because a thousand wipes come out at once and it was my husband's pet peeve; the holder was a lifesaver
-a boppy/breastfeeding pillow.

That's it! :)

Man, I am SUPER jealous of all you ladies due at the beginning of November, finishing your 12 week scans, announcing and and entering the second tri! I still feel like I have quite the road ahead of me! Lol

Also count me as a first time mommy who has NO IDEA what to get. My shop-aholic pregnant cousin is coming up tomorrow though, and she wants us to look for maternatity clothes and start looking for things for babies. I think it's a bit early for all that... But it will be fun none the less. She'll probably also help me register later this summer once we know genders. :)

I'm also a first timer here, and I am wondering a lot about the labor, and what that will feel like. I haven't really bought anything... I've been to baby stores twice and got a little overwhelmed. The advice on here is really helpful. I'll try and start making a list so that its not so overwhelming to take in.

Hi all! I forgot about this thread! Hope everyone has been well! My MS has finally calmed down. Ugh.... its been a rough time since 6 weeks. :sick: Now ive just got the flu :growlmad:

My advice for you first timer mumma's is to make sure you have plenty of onesies, nappies, nappy wipes, nappy rash creams and bedding. Oh and of course a car seat! The rest you can collect along the way. And if you plan to FF - of course bottles and formula. Just the basics is necessary at first. DS came 8 weeks early so we barely even had all the basics sorted!! But it turned out, what we had is all we needed (which wasn't much) and we easily collected things as we went.

Newborns just need sleep, milk, and their mumma (and pappa of course)

Don't stress, it will all fall into place!

SoonToBePreg I definitely got that overwhelmed feeling last time going in to the shops. I used to have panic attacks and get so upset, but it is true you hardly need anything.

The thing I didn't get last time was a breastfeeding/support pillow and this time that was my first purchase. I'm already using it to sleep. Xxx

These are my lists of what worked for us last time. DD very much taught us to AP her, so this reflects that parenting style.

Things you actually need:

- Maternity clothes
- Nappies and wipes- preferably reusable
- Nappy bucket/bin
- Vests, sleep suits, cardigans, hats
- Blankets
- Car seat
- Sling
- Bed set up for safe co-sleeping

Things that are nice to have:
- Support pillow for pregnancy and breastfeeding (I loved my Dreamgenii)
- Outfits for the baby
- Changing mat
- Play mat (eventually)
- Somewhere to put baby when you need hands free (swing/rocker/moses basket)
- Co-sleeping cot (or normal cot side attached to bed in side-car arrangement)
- Lots and of baby books - we loved reading to DD from the very start
- Rucksack to use as changing bag (by far the easiest type of bag when babywearing)

Things we had that never got used:
- Moses basket (she slept in it 2 hours once... That's it. The rest of the time she was in with us or no one slept!)
- Pram (switched to baby wearing very early- thankfully we'd been given a 2nd hand one so didn't waste money)
- Dummies
- Baby bath- much easier to just bath together
- Baby shoes (don't stay on apart from the soft leather type)
- A fully kitted out nursery (never slept in it, though we did use the bedding in the cot when it was in our room)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->