nursery offended me

tuesday

Reaction score
(Sorry on phone) I have just dropped my little one to nursery and normally someone will sit on the floor and take her as I want to be able to place her on the floor in the next few weeks without tears. It was busy brekfast time and one of them went in the kitchen to call another one out to sit on floor and accept baby. As she asked her she rolled her eyes at the other girl and I saw this. I was so shocked I just kept saying I am sorry. Now I wish I confronted her! She is pregnant and busy but still doesn't give her right to do that. I pay 170 pound for this. What should I do? Complain or confront her? I am quite a shy person but I can't sit back and accept this. This girl has been in a bad mood for past week or two but she should leave it at home.

I would confront her first, then if it doesn't change maybe have a quiet word with her manager.

That would really upset me too. I'd wonder if they bother once i've left!

I would put in a complaint, I wouldnt be happy with someone with a bad attitude looking after my child. You are paying her to do these things. Im actually really outraged on your behalf. The way I see it if she is that rude when you are there, how is she acting when you are not?

I wouldn't bother speaking to her - I'd call the manager and speak to her about it now. You want to feel confident leaving your child with these people, and her attitude says 'I can't be bothered and this is an inconvenience'.

Did she just roll her eyes?.... Did anything else happen? If it was a busy time and she was doing something else and needed to leave that then maybe she was just rolling her eyes at that but then be absolutely fine with your LO. Maybe she was rolling her eyes at the other member of staff who called her; why didn't she sit with your LO.

I would leave it, and if you feel there is any more hostility with her towards you then I would flag it up with management.

why does your child have to sit with a staff member when she is dropped off? does your LO not have breakfast? or is it because your LO gets upset?

I think personally you should have said something there and then if it offended you, only because it could turn out she rolled her eyes for any number of reasons.

I do think she should have kept her feelings to herself but it could have been just she was having a bad, hectic, busy morning. She should not have let you see this as you are paying the nursery for an important service, but at the same time I think it is human nature to sometimes be that stressed out to the point where you just can't hide it.

I'm sure many people have done this when they shouldn't when they are at work, whether it be with a co-worker, customer or client. I just think you should have called her out on it there and then, asking if it was a problem her coming out of the kitchen, as I expect she would have been mortified to realise you saw her roll her eyes.

Id speak with your LO's keyworker if she has one who can them relay the info on to the manager but if thats not possible, id have a word with the manager direct, its not acceptable to be treated like this. They maybe busy or whatever but to roll her eyes in such a manner isnt right.
You pay for a service, theyre not doing you a favour.

If you want to complain go to the manager theres no point getting into a confrontation with a member of the staff.. go above her from the start.

Also i think after thinking about it more, it was probably a rolling of the eyes geared towards the other member of staff, granted thats still not good, but maybe the other member of staff had been telling her to go do various things all day and she was fed up of not getting one job finished before being sent somewhere else? Maybe the girl who called her isnt authorized to order them around? Why didnt the person who answered the door to you sit with your LO? Maybe those two girls dont get on? I dont think it was because it was *your* LO. Was probably at the other member of staff.

But if you want to complain id explain to the manager that no matter what her reasons are they shouldnt be on show infront of parents or children during the working day.

No that's not good, I'd be talking to the manager. You're a customer at the end of the day and it is incredibly bad form to be obviously doing something with a bad grace in ront of one.

If it was just the eye roll, I would be annoyed but let it slide... we all have bad days. But if she has been like this for a few weeks, I would complain. If she has an attitude WHILE you're there, I would hate to think how she is when you are not there. Trust me, while some times you can get great, lovely infant carers- a lot of them are just there for the paycheck and should not be around babies.

thanks for your replies ladies :hugs:
she did it in a sense of saying 'sorry' to the other girl for pulling her away from doing something in the kitchen. Like it was a hassle to sit down with my baby :cry:I know they were busy but I don't want to make my baby cry by dumping her on the floor and leaving. The plan was to place her next to someone on the floor until she feels comfortable to be placed on the floor by herself without tears.

Also her keyworker is this woman's sister-inlaw, then her favourite person is this woman's auntie! I don't want to cause any bad feelings towards my daughter :cry: She is also the main career person below management.

why does your child have to sit with a staff member when she is dropped off? does your LO not have breakfast? or is it because your LO gets upset?

She has breakfast but gets upset if place right on the floor or in a chair. If she is sat with a staff member she doesn't cry, just waves me good bye.

how long has your LO been going to daycare?
the 1st month and a bit Quintin cried whenever I dropped him off but I always put with with the group (if he was eating I would put him in his chair)
after awhile he just one day didn't cry. now he never does

She has breakfast but gets upset if place right on the floor or in a chair. If she is sat with a staff member she doesn't cry, just waves me good bye.

ah okay...... i worked in nurseries but tbh it doesnt take much for the staff member to just make sure your LO is settled and then get back to what they were doing.........although im not sure its worthy or a complaint yet.....but if anything else happens mention it to the manager x

ah okay...... i worked in nurseries but tbh it doesnt take much for the staff member to just make sure your LO is settled and then get back to what they were doing.........although im not sure its worthy or a complaint yet.....but if anything else happens mention it to the manager x

I was thinking about asking her is she's ok next time she is sharp with me, then maybe mention she hasn't been herself (been moody) for past 2 weeks?

Would you have been offended if a parent asked you this? or do you think its just going about it the wrong way?

how long has your LO been going to daycare?
the 1st month and a bit Quintin cried whenever I dropped him off but I always put with with the group (if he was eating I would put him in his chair)
after awhile he just one day didn't cry. now he never does

2nd month now but she's really clingy and she has improved so much. The first week of nursery made her so nervous she cried at home even if dad tried to take her 'off' me and she cried when my sister came to visit us as she normally visits on weekends. It was a running joke she's scared in case my sister has come to take her to nursery :dohh:

I would maybe mention when you drop her off next time the reasons why it's important to you to do things this way when you leave LOs there. Say something like "I know you were busy this morning/yesterday but it seems to work doing it this way...etc etc". That way they will probably be aware you knew something was amiss this morning, without you actually having to say it. Also, they might understand it a bit better, and after speaking about it, will be more conscious of things in future.

At Madeline's nursery we have to hand them over to a member of staff - and they then settle them in.

I was thinking about asking her is she's ok next time she is sharp with me, then maybe mention she hasn't been herself (been moody) for past 2 weeks?

Would you have been offended if a parent asked you this? or do you think its just going about it the wrong way?

personally i think if it continues to talk to the manager about it and let the management deal with it in a confidential manner, you can make your feelings clear and not make the relationship between you and this staff member worse. iykwim x

The sitting on the floor thing is a bit odd - at Evans nursery his key worker takes him for a cuddle when we arrive and she takes him to his chair for breakfast and stays with him and the other children and key workers while one or two of them sorts all the breakfasts out. It doesn't take all of them to sort brekkie out! I wouldn't be happy leaving him on the floor even if there was a key worker around!

I'd probably be a bit upset with the eye rolling too but ignore it unless the attitude continues then take it to the manager.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->