OB won't order thyroid test till 8+ weeks!

Leids

Mommy :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm a bit confused and not entirely sure what I should do. I have a history of thyroid issues (hypo) and recently when tested in July my levels were 3.970. I'm not on medication and haven't been since March on doctor's orders.

I recently moved across the country a few weeks ago and have no GP. I called the ob/gyn to set up an appointment and asked if I could get a TSH and FT3/T4 test early since I have a history of issues. I was called back and told they wouldn't order a test until the normal first tri blood work at 8 weeks (I'll potentially be 9 weeks then).

What should I do? I expect my levels will sky rocket in the next few weeks and I'm pretty concerned about it messing with brain development etc. Should I find a GP and get my levels checked that way or try to find a new ob or midwife who will order a test sooner?

If I'm being silly and getting tested at 8 weeks will be fine then let me know!

ETA: The blood work wouldn't happen until October 16th, so a month from now. :wacko:

Find a gp or new ob. I had my prenatal panel at my ob in Idaho at 4+4, I am now 11+3. My doctor seems content to look at hormones etc early on rather than later. I think you could easily find a different doctor to get that test done. Good luck.

You need a go anyway so why not find one and have them run the test? Of course, if your ob isn't willing to ruin a test that could potentially harm baby maybe you should switch. I don't know anything about thyroid issues, bit of the levels being off can harm baby then it's definitely something you want monitored sooner rather than later.

You need a go anyway so why not find one and have them run the test? Of course, if your ob isn't willing to ruin a test that could potentially harm baby maybe you should switch. I don't know anything about thyroid issues, bit of the levels being off can harm baby then it's definitely something you want monitored sooner rather than later.

I agree with Panda, I don't know anything about thyroid disorders - but I know mine was checked with initial bloods at 4 + 4, so I think you should find another dr who will respect your want to get it looked at asap in case you need medication or some sort of action plan to keep your levels stable, good luck! x

Thanks for the input! I researched some gp's in the area and found a few good ones. I'll call today to get an appointment and hopefully I can get a thyroid panel and pregnancy test done in the next week or two. :)

It does make sense to just go with a gp since I need one anyway!

Yes I would recommend finding someone who will test. My thyroid was wacky when I was pregnant with #2 and I was on levothyroxine for that pregnancy. This pregnancy and my first were totally fine. I wouldn't want to take the risk of not knowing if it turns out you need meds. xo

I'm hypo too and have been having the similar problems, though I guess it works differently in the UK as it's all via the NHS. My GP won't help at all as she said it's the midwife's job, and the midwife says it should be my GP's job!

Very frustrating...I think we just need to kick and scream until we are listened to.

Good luck :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->