October Pumpkins 2017

This will be the first grandchild on both sides :)

On a completely different note, my boss called. I let it go to voice mail. She wants me to call back. She says she needs to speak to me today. This is the 4th day I've missed since Feb 20th. Before then, I've never called in to this job. I've had perfect attendance aside from 2 unavoidable lates (traffic due to accidents) and 3 cases of previous department managers changing my shift without notifying me (I had proof of the original shift, and was assured by HR that I was not at fault).

I'm scared to call back. I haven't told them I'm pregnant yet, and due to my boss being borrowed on and off by another location, we haven't had the opportunity to close my most recent training action, which probably looks bad. (Basically I wasn't as confident in my new department job duties as I should be when February rolled around, and although my boss admits it's her fault because I got thrown in there during the Christmas rush with no real training, she gave in to her boss' pressure and put me on review.)

I really, really don't want to disclose my pregnancy too soon, because although I'm allowed to continue my job until I want to make changes (according to my doctor), I'm not confident my boss will let me. It's against Canadian law to force job changes or early leave on a pregnant woman who doesn't want it, but the could easily just say I'm not a good fit for my current department and point to the training review.

Honestly, I do really like my current department, but I don't care too much which department I'm in (as long as I'm not stuck standing at a cash register all day), but I'm concerned that if I were to be transferred departments, I would lose my full time status (thus not starting to earn benefits in May and have a right to maternity pay) and I would probably go back to having start & end times that don't really work for my travel situation. I was gritting my teeth and dealing with it before I moved departments in November, but now that I'm pregnant, I really just can't.

Gahhhh!

And it's lunch time here, so I probably can't phone right now. I get to stew for another hour at least.

I'm sorry, that must be so stressful. Maybe she is just wanting to check and make sure you are okay since you have missed 4 days in two weeks? What type of attendance policy does your place of employment have? I know some companies are very specific about time off. My husband works for HR for a manufacturing plant and they have guidelines for how many call offs can happen before people are let go.

We need a doctor's note and a "return to work" plan after 2 consecutive sick days. I worked 2 shifts in between sick days 2 and 3, so I haven't exceeded that stipulation.

We report our absenses through an online interface managed by another company, and it shows my "claims" in green, which means no action needed.

So there's nothing that states how many absences you are allowed?

Honestly, I would just call her and see what she has to say. I would be stewing over it in my head all day until I did lol. Hopefully it's no big deal and she's just checking on you.

Thanks for the advice ladies, I saw something on Facebook about putting your hands and feet in hot water and a bag of frozen peas at the bottom of your skull, apparently it draws the blood away and gets rid of the headache, anyone tried it?
Gonna try it once I've got my little man to bed!
Orglethorp - I was the first to give the parents a grandchild as well, get ready for all the advice you don't want from your in laws if they're anything like mine :haha:
I'm an only child as well so I'm my mums only hope lol, my partner has a brother and sister and she has a boy a year younger than my son.
I'm hoping I can have the first girl haha

Lol, yes, I'm sure there will be lots of unsolicited advice! Most of Peter's cousins (and all of mine on my mother's side, but none on my father's side) have already had kids. We'll be getting advice from cousins and aunts & uncles too, I'm sure. And the great grandmothers.

You know, it's weird sometimes getting advice from my own grandma and then getting advice from his on the same topic. His family had kids young for many generations, and mine did not. Consequently, his grandmother and my mother's older sister are only a year apart in age. His mother turned 19 a couple months after he was born; mine turned 27 the year I was born. We're both the oldest kids of our own families, but among the younger grandchildren on at least 1 side each. This child will be my grandmother's 10th great grandchild.

Good luck with your boss Orglethorp. It may just be your boss checking in to see how you are and if there needs to be any discussion regarding time off. Hope all is ok!

Saraaa, I've heard that before but never tested it. Hubby gets migraines, but trying to get him to try a 'cure' is very difficult! Hope it works!

I had a migraine yesterday. I took Tylenol (acetephetamine) and drank a little bit of coca cola. It helped a lot. Obviously if you are trying to completely avoid caffeine that won't work but since I really don't drink caffeine, I was okay with drinking a little bit.

Nobody's answering the phone at work. I tried!
I wonder if/who will say anything to me if I can't get ahold of my boss today and I just show up for my next shift on Sunday. My work's weeks run Saturday - Friday, so Sunday is 'next week,' and I know she's being borrowed by the other loction again 'next week.'

F*** boss wants a doctor's note. Wasn't planning to tell them about being pregnant nearly this soon.

Also can't see my doc until at least Thursday because the office isn't open on weekends. She won't take that as an answer. She pointed out that there are 2 clinics in that area, and both take walkins. Guess what! I've tried to walk-in at the other one. They wouldn't see me. That's how I got my current doc!

I don't know what to do...

Saraaa - I haven't tried that but usually when I get migraines I rub Vicks vapor rub into where it hurts, usually above my eyes, and that helps relieve it some. Hope you feel better!

Orglethorp - That's a tough one. I'm sorry I don't really have any advice but I do hope you are able to work it out somehow. I also wanted to say that it is cool that your baby will be the first grandchild on both sides! My first was the first grandchild only on one side but the first great grandchild to my mom's mom lol so I guess that is kind of an accomplishment. On DH's side his sister beat us to the punch by giving his parents their first grandchild however she only had three children before she had her tubes tied so we will be the first in the family (on both sides) to have four children. But I'm rambling again... :oops:

Orglethorp, ugh that's so frustrating. Any chance the doc will give you a note for a generalised sickness bug, seeing as you are technically off due to sickness. Maybe try the other walkin, and if they won't see you, you really can't be expected to do anything. Just let your boss know that neither walkin will provide you with a note but you'll get one on Thurs from your doc. Considering you're not required by the rules to give a note, it's a bit odd they're not only forcing you to get one but making you provide it immediately. Do you think she suspects you're pg?

Thing is, although this Thursday is the first day they could reasonably expect me to get a note (in my opinion) as that's the next week day I have off, but I already have an appointment booked for the 16th. I've had 3 since the 22nd already, and I pay $30 in cab fees every time. I don't want to book another appointment to pay cab fees to go sit in the waiting room full of people coughing just to get a note that says "no really, she was sick" a week before my next actual appointment.

Wow, that is sucky. I guess you'll have to pay for the note too. I think your boss is being very unreasonable. Even if they now require a docs note, you should be given a reasonable amount of time to get one. Any chance you can get a phone appointment with your doc and have them post a note out to you, seeing as they've already seen you for your illness?

Phone appointments aren't a thing in this province, unfortunately.

Ugh, that really doesn't leave you with many (any) options :(

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Orglethorp. I realize this places you in a very sticky situation but perhaps you might just consider telling them about the pregnancy? Not ideal, I know, but think of all the potential doctor visits you COULD save yourself if you need to call out a few more times this trimester? Maybe it'll save you the headache?

Saraaa, in my pp I suggested caffeine and ice at the base of the skull and above the eyes because it was the only thing that works for me when I get migraines. Honestly, I use frozen corn/peas for the back and frozen meatballs for the front because the meatballs fit in my eye sockets, hahaha. It does help!

AFM, had my first prenatal today! It went well. Mostly I take information on family and personal history. But we found the bubs heartbeat with the doppler. 10 weeks pregnant and 184 beats per minute, WOW! That's a fast heartbeat!!! My boobs are less sore this week, likely because the placenta is beginning to take over. I go back next Friday for a physical. Thankfully no Pap smear needed as I had a normal one just a year ago and new USA guidelines are every 3 years with normal smears. But I do get my first pelvic exam, yay (NOT! Major sarcasm here).

Orglethorp I would just be honest with your boss. At this point she is probably assuming you weren't really sick, and most Drs aren't willing to write a note saying you were sick if its actually due to pregnancy. I Understand you aren't wanting to tell people but you may want to consider am exception for your boss. She's likely to be more understanding if you are honest, because waiting to get a note etc makes you look like you're being shady. I think trying to cover it up is going to backfire on you. What happens if you still have morning sickness next week or 2 weeks from now? Just my opinion though.

Mepride I'm showing but it's my 6th pregnancy lol glad you had a good appointment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->