Offshoot thread: What if Time used an image like this?

I think that's a really gorgeous picture - it's just so natural and they look so happy. If I was that mum it's definitely one I'd frame. Soooo cute. MUCH prefer it to the Time picture but Time chose the one they did to shock and it worked I suppose.

But yes, I'm sure there would be some negative comments made about it if it had been published as to be honest people will always find something negative to say about everything! If it wasn't about breastfeeding it would be about the size of the mother or something like that.

I don't really think any attention needs to be paid to ridiculous comments. It's like when you read comments at the bottom of any Daily Mail article - there's always someone who says something totally stupid but there's no real need to pay any attention to them is there? At the end of the day people are entitled to an opinion, and even though I may mentally roll my eyes at the comments (as I frequently do) I certainly don't get offended by what other people think.

I hate the TIME picture because it's so posed and unnatural. This is the opposite, and so I like this one. I think there would still be a bit of a fuss made over this one, but perhaps not as much.

what difference would that make.

whilst i dont think its right for me to nurse a child of that age.the picture doesnt in any way offend me.They seem very happy contented mother and children.

if people breast feed until 10 i dont care :haha:

To me and this again is not posted to be rude to anyone so please dont be offended!

I think if its a boy or girl it doesnt make a diff too me, when i saw the photo on the other thread i think it looked dirty, wrong even abit perverted!

I saw it as a JOKE, have u ever seen the show Little Britain, well the photo reminded me of the comedy part "BITTY" a adult still breast feeding of his mother!

I know that boy isnt a adult but how much longer does she plan to go on feeding him? I wonder if his friends at school saw this what they would think of this behaviour? Maybe it could lead to bulling?

I also think when i picture breast feeding i imagine a newborn baby drinking milk a natural source from the mother cos thats what are breasts are made to do, but anything over 2yrs old i dont see that natural anymore!

Be really honest when someone says the words breast feeding do u really picture a 5yr old or a baby?

Sorry to be so blunt but i just see it unessary, if this was normal behaviour than surely we wouldnt eat we would still be drinking milk from our mothers!

I don't think that's true because natural weaning age is between 4-7. In fact, many anthropologists say that it's more than normal to be bfing up to the age of three and beyond.

The truth is, most people won't see something like this in public because by that time, BFing is mostly done in the morning and at night.

I'm curious as to what changes at age 1 or 2 or 3? That little person is still your baby.

The boy in TIME is homeschooled.

will u be bf until his 7 then? Just wondering.............if not,why not?

I think I said on the other thread, but natural weaning means not forcing the child to continue if they don't want to. Natsku's little girl as well as TigerLady's little boy naturally weaned. One day they just stopped after gradually cutting down.

I much prefer the pic as it's clearly not as staged, but I still think people would be offended by extended bf for some bizarre reason x

I'm not offended by extended breast feeding, nor doi Find it "disgusting" but I will be honest- after a certain age it does make me feel a little uncomfortable. And the girl in this photograph is to old (IMO).

But we don't even know the actual age of the girl. My son has been mistook for a child older than he actually is :shrug:

It's so beautiful, but then I loved the other pic too!

I love the picture :)!

I don't think ANYONE has a say in when a child is too old for feeding, apart from the child itself!

Obviously the mum has a say in if she chooses to wean for whichever reason and I respect that. But who the hell do we think we are to decide for another human being they are too old to receive comfort in a way that is for both child and mum nurturing, loving and beneficial? It is starting to piss me off (sorry, I don't get angry often).

It doesn't harm the child, it's even the opposite. Can we just stop deciding for other people what is right and what is wrong? I won't tell you that you're too old to receive comfort when you're upset or overwhelmed or hurt in a way that you want. Might that be hugs or kisses from your partner, a good conversation with your mum/dad or a big chocolate bar or whatever works for you. It would be ridiculous.

I haven't seen the picture that's caused such controversy, but I think this one is absolutely beautiful.

I chose not to bf at all but I have a great respect for those who do and I think it's up to the mother and child to decide when it's time to stop - no matter what that age is xx

Hmmm... I understand the benefits and reasons behind EBF... but if I'm completely honest, it does make me feel a little uncomfortable. I'm not sure why, probably because we are conditioned to feel that way.

Maybe once Isabelle gets to that age I might feel differently though - I did use to feel weird about BF past 6 months - until we got there. I'm still BF now, although I plan to stop before a year.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->