Offshoot thread: What if Time used an image like this?

I think that most people would show the same outrage, but agree there would be more directed at her size, because people will pick up on anything.

I actually prefer the Time photo, because it is challenging and it's especially challenging stereotypes about breastfeeding and the 'type' of women percieved to do it.

I think its a lovely picture but I do agree with some of the others that say the picture would probably be ridiculed because of the mother's weight.

I have a similar figure, and have never been ridiculed because of it.
Even when BFing... it wasnt my size that i was ridiculed for.

I think its something that people do online because of the anonymity

I think its a lovely picture but I do agree with some of the others that say the picture would probably be ridiculed because of the mother's weight.

I have a similar figure, and have never been ridiculed because of it.
Even when BFing... it wasnt my size that i was ridiculed for.

I think its something that people do online because of the anonymity

Cowards :haha:

Yup!

It's a lovely picture ... and it's an interesting question as many people debating the Time pic have commented that it's the 'stance' and posing of it which makes them uncomfortable and you have just kind of proved that that isn't nexessarily the case.

If they had used this picture instead then I suspect there would have been plenty of negative comments about the Mother's weight instead of the Time mag's Mum's (as I've seen it described elsewhere) 'pertness' :dohh: anything to distract people from their hang ups about a perfectly normal biological process eh?

Personally I really don't see the issue with EBF - I didn't do it myself because all of mine self weaned before they got to 2 years, but it's completely normal in a lot of cultures and I think it's actually rather nice to be able to extend that bond if the child wants/needs you to :thumbup:

That's a lovely picture! I think there's a lot more going on it to distract from the issue of extended breastfeeding - a happy and relaxed family, cuddles, playfulness, and of course plenty of people would comment about the mother's weight. :rolleyes: The picture on the Time cover got rid of all the extra packaging and stripped it to the bare bones of the issue, which is feeding an older child. There's no way the message could have got lost! At the end of the day, the focus of the comments and attention might have been different but I think lots of people would still have voiced the same opinion.

really wish i knew how to get the picture on FB as i love it so much,someone else has put a picture up of another mum BF which is so much better than the one in the magazine but not as lovely as this one!

Do you know i honestly didnt notice the mums size until someone mentioned it on here,all i saw was her smiling and all relaxed,which is why i like it so much and think it would have had a nicer impact.I think some people are never gonna be quite happy and will see negitives (in their eyes) but for people who are open minded but have never seen extended BF,this picture would have been so much more appealing...

Love your Avatar Freckleonear!

That's a lovely picture! I think there's a lot more going on it to distract from the issue of extended breastfeeding - a happy and relaxed family, cuddles, playfulness, and of course plenty of people would comment about the mother's weight. :rolleyes: The picture on the Time cover got rid of all the extra packaging and stripped it to the bare bones of the issue, which is feeding an older child. There's no way the message could have got lost! At the end of the day, the focus of the comments and attention might have been different but I think lots of people would still have voiced the same opinion.

Freckle - I LOVE your avatar!! :happydance::thumbup::thumbup: Go You ! :hugs:

:rofl: Didn't realise my boob would be so popular or I'd have changed it long ago! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->