Offshoot thread: What if Time used an image like this?

Don't forget your child doesn't all of the sudden change from a tiny baby into a 3/4 year old. It goes gradually.

I like both photos for different reasons, the Time cover is a really strong image as if the mother is telling the world she is breastfeeding because it's her right and her son's right and she doesn't give a damn about what anyone thinks about it. This photo is a softer, warmer image the mother and children all look so happy and it's way more of a natural shot.

Sadly, although I think it would be hard for people to argue the girls in this photo are being exploited it would probably get just as much criticism from people who think it's weird/sick/perverted/ (delete as applicable) and for sure some pond life who would use any excuse to knock someone down would have something to say about the mothers appearance.

Amazing article someone put in my thread in the BFing section :) Very lovely :) I doubt anyone can say the mother is wrong for giving her child comfort.

https://dianaibclc.com/2012/05/11/yes-shes-4-and-yes-shes-still-breastfeeding/#comment-687

To me and this again is not posted to be rude to anyone so please dont be offended!

I think if its a boy or girl it doesnt make a diff too me, when i saw the photo on the other thread i think it looked dirty, wrong even abit perverted!

I saw it as a JOKE, have u ever seen the show Little Britain, well the photo reminded me of the comedy part "BITTY" a adult still breast feeding of his mother!

I know that boy isnt a adult but how much longer does she plan to go on feeding him? I wonder if his friends at school saw this what they would think of this behaviour? Maybe it could lead to bulling?

I also think when i picture breast feeding i imagine a newborn baby drinking milk a natural source from the mother cos thats what are breasts are made to do, but anything over 2yrs old i dont see that natural anymore!

Be really honest when someone says the words breast feeding do u really picture a 5yr old or a baby?

Sorry to be so blunt but i just see it unessary, if this was normal behaviour than surely we wouldnt eat we would still be drinking milk from our mothers!

reason why you picture a newborn breastfeeding and not a 3 year old is because newborns are having breastmilk as their only source of food. a 3 year old is barley breastfeeding maybe only 1-2 times a day by then so a picture of a 3 year old wouldnt be the best image to think of when it comes to the thought of breastfeeding since they are eating food as well by then.

but yeah natural weaning age is 3-4 so its def natural :flower:

if it makes you uncomfortable then don't do it but judging another parent/child's bf to whatever age they decide for themselves and stating that it makes you uncomfortable is wrong imo as it helps to make it socially acceptable to be intolerant of ebf (which is everyone's right if that's what they choose).

We expect people to be tolerant of our parenting choices so extend this to others.

Amazing article someone put in my thread in the BFing section :) Very lovely :) I doubt anyone can say the mother is wrong for giving her child comfort.

https://dianaibclc.com/2012/05/11/yes-shes-4-and-yes-shes-still-breastfeeding/#comment-687

What a beautiful story!

I honestly don't get why people are grossed out by this. I couldn't breast feed but that doesn't alter anything. So what If the child is 4? Actually so what??!! It's the most natural thing in the world and I truly rush I could have been able to do it. It's her daughter for god sake not some stranger! Too many people in this world care about what other people think, good in her for not giving a damn and doing what she feels comfortable with.

I think the picture is lovely. Much better than the TIME one,but people will judge no matter what. Personally I wouldn't breastfeed that long but it doesn't offend me that people choose too, neither does it offend me that people choose never to breastfeed at all. I think TIME chose a bad image as generally people already see EBF as unnatural (not my opinion) and the picture will have just confirmed most people's opinions with such an unnatural looking posed picture. But at the end of the day TIME probably don't care about people's opinions on EBF they just care about publicity and sales of their mag, and that they achieved perfectly.

I think there would be a horrible reaction, but most people would focus on the woman's size. How dare someone put an OBESE woman on the cover of a magazine?! People are just shallow. I think the actual backlash might be worse, because it would be easier for people to talk about how stupid this woman must be, because she's not a thin 26 year old with perky little breasts.

The Time picture bothers me because it is so unnatural and meant to get a reaction. This one doesn't bother me at all - I find it heartwarming and loving.

Also, I keep hearing how this little boy is "homeschooled," but he's THREE. I could never consider a three year old "homeschooled" because three year old's don't generally go to school! Very, very low income three year olds might go to head start, and some might go to a daycare type preschool - but i might as well consider both my 4 year old and baby homeschooled as I stay at home and teach them things all day.

I think there would be a horrible reaction, but most people would focus on the woman's size. How dare someone put an OBESE woman on the cover of a magazine?! People are just shallow. I think the actual backlash might be worse, because it would be easier for people to talk about how stupid this woman must be, because she's not a thin 26 year old with perky little breasts.

The Time picture bothers me because it is so unnatural and meant to get a reaction. This one doesn't bother me at all - I find it heartwarming and loving.

Also, I keep hearing how this little boy is "homeschooled," but he's THREE. I could never consider a three year old "homeschooled" because three year old's don't generally go to school! Very, very low income three year olds might go to head start, and some might go to a daycare type preschool - but i might as well consider both my 4 year old and baby homeschooled as I stay at home and teach them things all day.

Andella, I was just getting ready to say that there would be so many comments attacking this worman's SIZE that everyone would forget what the article was actually about in the first place.

I adore this pic!
So beautiful.. The lady reminds me of myself.. same figure, although smaller boobs :haha:
I loved breast feeding, and wish id continued, and thinking about it, id keep breast feeding as long as my daughter wanted it.
She still tries to pull my top down when shes hungry now, even though i havent breast fed in almost 2 months, and my milk has unfortunately dried up. Ive actually been considering asking my GP for some assistance in re-establishing my suply so i can BF again. I miss it. :(

Andella, I was just getting ready to say that there would be so many comments attacking this worman's SIZE that everyone would forget what the article was actually about in the first place.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. (And I'm not much smaller than that woman is.) The "debate" over EBF would be lost in disgusting comments from uneducated and perverted men making comments about "being forced to see her huge saggy titties" or something equally childish. There wouldn't be much of an EBF debate, I don't think. Which is sad.

I think the picture is beautiful, and I really hope I can still be feeding Kesslie (if she wants to be!) when she's that age.

Such a lovely story :flower:

That would have been a MUCH better photo!!! It looks natural and loving! I still don't agree with showing children's faces on photo's like that though (meaning a photo that might stir up controversy) But in comparison, that is a much more natural looking photo and shows EB in a much better light in my opinion.

what about this then

https://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_n...-of-dad-feeding-baby-turns-controversial?lite

what about this then

https://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_n...-of-dad-feeding-baby-turns-controversial?lite

I think the main issue with that picture is it perpetuates the belief that dads can only bond through feeding when there are tons of different ways Dads can bond with babies. My husband has an excellent bond with Alex despite never having fed him a bottle :shrug:

I have no major issue with the image. If a dad wants to feed, that's great, but what about showing a dad cuddling a sleeping baby skin to skin?

I think its a lovely picture but I do agree with some of the others that say the picture would probably be ridiculed because of the mother's weight.

I think it's bad that she would be joked about because of her weight. She's obviously had two children :dohh:

Yeah its sad but thats what happens.

I think its a lovely picture but I do agree with some of the others that say the picture would probably be ridiculed because of the mother's weight.

I have a similar figure, and have never been ridiculed because of it.
Even when BFing... it wasnt my size that i was ridiculed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->