Oh Sh*t what am I going to do!

geekone

Reaction score
Ok this is going to be long and possibly sightly OT.

My job entailes quite a bit of travel a I am in business development but I had worked it out that I could still visit up to 10 clients a month and only be away from home 2 nights a month, possibly 3. I also discussed with my boss at the time that I was going to need to go onto 4 days a week alternating mondays and fridays due to my husbands job.

I now have a new boss, she has just came in and asked me if I have any of this in writing (no I dont) she then asked if there was any possibility I could work 5 days a week (I said no I cannot afford anymore childcare) Fine so they need to offer me flexible hours so that is fine but then she said she is changing how business development works this has always been her plan, I will be working with the southern lab more often and spending a lot more time in Europe and so I will need to be flexible for travel, I did explain that is not how my job has worked in the past etc but she has siad that I need to be less of a buffer for the lab, more pure BD and marketing etc and that means travelling more, she said she didnt want to spring this on me on my return.

But now what? I cant travel more, I had a plan which I shared with my old boss who conveniently cant remember, my husband works 7-7 and so I need to be avaliable to pick my baby up from nursery. As far as I can figure she is well within her rights to change how she wants a particular position within the company to work but what if I cannot so this? Can they demand I do it is my job after all.

I feel slightly ill and I think I am going to cry:cry: which is not like me especially at work. I have worked so hard to get here and thought this was the best time to be having a baby....shit....

Sorry hun i can't help but does your work have a union or something where you can get advice?
:hugs:

I would ring CAB hun.

They are treading thin ice changing your job description right before you go on maternity leave, and expecting you to agree to changes when they know you're not able to.

Could be seen as constructive dismissal.

I'd definitely check with your union (if you have one) or CAB. It will ultimately depend on your contract. If the contract states that regular travel is necessary you may not be able to get out of it. However, with flexible working legislation, there may be grounds to find a compramise.

It's a horrible situation for you to be in and I hope you manage to get it resolved x

I would ring CAB hun.

They are treading thin ice changing your job description right before you go on maternity leave, and expecting you to agree to changes when they know you're not able to.

Could be seen as constructive dismissal.

I agree - definately check with CAB or an employment lawyer x

Hi

I am sure that my contract states travel is necessary, certainly my job description does. It is just that the ammount of travel will be increasing when I cant physically do it. I will not even really be office based anymore I will be as she put it our whizzing around.

I am so worried as I think she is within her rights to do this. I have my contract at home I will have a look at it. She is being very nice about it and upfront but I still cannot do it.

Yup, to echo what the other ladies have said, get your butt down to CAB!!!

I will speak to HR I think and maybe my boss's boss's boss but not sure what good this would do, I also dont want to pee of my new boss by going over her head.

aww poor you - after many years in sales I know how you feel. I would check your contract - also make notes of the time and date of your verbal agreement with your old boss. Once you have established what the travel element of your role is outlined in your contract take it from there. If its wooly then note exactly what your job role was prior to being pregnant and if they are asking for a change in spec then they need to do that through the channels. They may be in effect then facing the fact that they are making your current role redundant which means all associated kerffuffle. If you feel you can talk to your current boss then fine if not then go to HR

Good luck my lovely xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"