Ok, help, how do u single mums 'live'?

sweetsammi

1st time mummy and WTT
Reaction score
So for all you mummys with no partners, daddy's not on the scene etc..how do you aford to live?

Luckilly my mum and dad have taken me and Oliver in for a short while..but its over crowded and not working out well at all. I am trying hard to find a job and a home for us..but have no idea how it will all work! Firstly my parents live in a tiny village where u have to drive to get around- i do not, therefore cannot find a job accessible to me. Even if i did i can only work part time because of Oliver- But a part time wage on my own is nowhere near enough each month to pay rent and bills etc when i do finally find us a home. I've applied to the council and they've been no help. I can get a bus into town but its an hours ride away and not cheap. It is also very over populated so i dont stand much chance of findin work anyway!

I origanally lived in Derby where i found housin abit cheaper and jobs alot easier to get hold of! I want to move back but dont know how to go about doing so..it would also mean havin to put Oli in a nursery whilst i work which i really dont want to do and i dont know how id afford it anyhow. His dad is no help, so i cant ask him to care for him. :( Im really gettin down and cant see anuythin workin out for us. Tryin to be positive..but i really cant see my findin a job that i can gt to and offer the right hrs..or see me findin a place i can aford.

Sorry im so miserable ladies..everythins jst really gettin me down tryin to find a home, job, look after bubs..im havin alot of stress from the x..dont know hw much mre i cn take x

Aww hun, please stay positive... things will work out and I am sure your parents are happy to support you until the opportunity comes along. x

I aint had my baby yet but have my own house and a well paid job fortunately... but its me doing all the saving to let me have some type of maternity leave but it hard for us all in different ways.

Surely if you nag the council enough they can find you something maybe in Derby? and if it aint great then its at least a step in the right direction for you. I know round my area there are many single mums that have never worked and manage some how hun xxx

Wishing you all the best x

Hi there, sorry to hear things are getting you down at the moment - it's hardly suprising when you explain!

In the short term, while you wiat for a council property, could you apply for a private rent and ask the local council (Leicester or Derby) to pay you housing benefit, which should cover all of your rent and council tax? You would be left with household bills to pay, but would benefits and entitlements help to cover these? Not sure how old you are, but as long as you are 18+ applying for these shouldn't be a problem. At least then you wont feel the pressure of getting a job to support you and Oli before you are BOTH ready.

I think there may have been a few threads started about benefits and entitlements in the Home and Finance forums - I get VERY confused about it all!!!

Lots of luck. Hoping it all works out for you.

xxx

:hug:

Well,I am not a mom yet but I also fortunatly own my own house,have a good job and money saved.

I really don't know what to recommend you since I don't live in UK.

Are you sure the council can't help you? I mean,you are a single mom.What about benefits?
Maybe you could apply for housing in Derby?You said yourdelf that it would be easier to get a job there.
And your life with your parents,is it really not working cause you could stay with them till you save some money and then you could afford to rent something.
It's a rough patch for you currently,but you don't need to work everytihng out right now,recovering from a break-up is hard...give yourself some time,think about stuff.
Do some researching online and you'll work things out...:hugs:

I really don't know what to advise to you really :(

If you're keen on living in Derby i'd approach the local council there & enquire about housing benefit & private renting. I know many councils have a list of private landlords who they can contact on your behalf. I spoke to my local council last week regarding private housing & they were really helpful. Gave me a list of estate agents who accept housing benefit & told me to come down if there was nothing at the estate agents.

As for the job situation i'd speak to a lone parent advisor at your local job centre. Ive always found them to be massively helpful

:hug: to you. Things will get better xxx

Thanks. I just feel so ill from it all, feel like im gonna be livin with my parents forever! There is no way i can afford to rent a place on my own- even if i was to work full time the income wouldnt be enough. :( I jst wanna cry. I would just love to know how others do it. I know there are benifits but they dont help all that much..my materity allowence stops on the 16th..i duno what im gonna do xx

Awww hun, I really feel for you

But i'm sure you'll be able to rent. Honestly the housing benefit system in Britain is relatively good. I've got a couple of friends with young babies who both rent privately with the help of housing benefit & they manage. I think they both put about £40 a month towards there rent & the rset is covered.

It's all about budgeting really. Loadsa single mums do it so i'm sure you'll be able to :) It's tough & yeah ok you're not going to have loadsa cash lying around but you will be able to afford the essentials :)

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->