• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ok i admit it...

Tezzy

Mum of 2 TTCAL
Reaction score
today we bought a tumble dryer... :blush:

we've never ever had one before a) because of the eco stuff and b) because ive never felt we NEEDED one.

anyway because ive been ill the past few days OH has been doing the laundry and he discovered that i havent exactly been coping with the amount of clothes the 4 of us go through... even in a day ffion goes through 2 outfits and 1 set of pjs,rhys goes through at least 2 tshirts,1trousers and 1 set of pjs, colin goes through at least 2 tshirts and a pair of jeans depending on if he has crew training plus tshirts that he has for work and im good and wear the same clothes all day... then all the underwear,socks,bras etc etc

so really its 2 loads of laundry a day but because we havent had a tumble dryer ive been struggling to get everything dry afterwards, we have clothes horses everywhere as well as radiator hangers and a pulley maid. its been getting harder and harder to keep on top of it.

soooooo my OH (after approx 2 mins of doing laundry for the first time ever) gave up and said lets go to currys and buy a tumble dryer. and we did!
im secretly SO impressed.. i can dry clothes in an hour instead of days hanging around the house. of course i'll still use the clothes horse and the pulley maid but stuff we need dry quickly will go in the dryer.

im gonna have to think of what i can cut back on to make up for it :dohh:

Sounds like you really needed one!!! I hate having washing all over the place now - it's going to get worse in winter..!!

Are you feeling better?

x

We have one and I love it, only use it when its raining, but its great xx

I don't know how you Brits do without one. When I moved to the UK, it was the first thing I insisted on when we re-did our kitchen. I could not live without a dryer.

That was one thing I thought was very strange when I was visiting family in Britain a few years ago. I don't know anyone here who doesn't have a dryer, we only hang dry the delicate things that can't go in the dryer. I agree with Samantha, I don't know how you do it.

I found it so odd when watching a british tv show to see a clothes dryer in the kitchen! At first I thought it was a very odd looking dishwasher!

I generally hang thing outside on the line in the summer, but I can't imagine trying to deal with it all indoors, or manage without a dryer in the winter!

ps. hey Amelia, nice to see someone from BC on here! I've got family in Mission :)

I have to admit I'm buying one too! After washing baby clothes, nappies and our normal washing I was quite overwhelmed by where to put it all. I have just changed our clothes airer indoors to allow for one to fit under our slanted roof in the bathroom, so I could make space for the baby changer/bath unit. However, it doesn't hold as much as the previous dryer and is quite difficult to put things on as the bars are very close together.

I didn't realise it was a British thing not to have one! :)

I manage ok without one although there is only me and Alasdair and we aren't using reusable nappies right now lol. It definitely sounds like you needed one :)

I don't think it's a "British" thing to not have a tumble drier?! I don't think I've met a family here who didn't have one. We lived without one for a couple of years after our 20 year old hand-me-down broke down. But as soon as we had a little bit more money we bought a new washer-drier. I hated drying everything all over the house and having crunchy socks and towels, yuck.

Having a combi machine is great, it takes up half the space and you can just put a load on and leave it until it's done, none of this having to switch machines in the middle business. The only down side is that the drying capacity is smaller than with a dedicated drier so you have to split the laundry into smaller, and therefore more, loads. Plus you can only have one load going at a time, rather than two. So our machine is running pretty much 24/7 to keep on top of all our clothes plus Jack's nappies :dohh:

thats fine, but If it is sunny outside it is dry in no time too

i have never not had a dryer...... but maybe its a UK thing? i loveeeee my dryer and i neeeed it..... and even then an hour is too long if i have somewhere to be!! lol :)

I use our dryer sparingly. I think they can be really hard on clothes (at least the old, crappy ones can - these new ones seem to use the breath of angels to dry your clothes, then fold them for you and go make you a latte while you're waiting!). I also like to make use of the fresh air and sunshine because it bleaches out stains so well and everything smells so nice after, but life would definitely be harder without a dryer.
These days I would cheerfully strangle a puppy in exchange for a dishwasher. I am so sick of doing dishes by hand!!:growlmad:

If you're worried about the eco-ness of it you could only dry things like towels, jeans and other thicker items which take ages to dry on a clothes airer and dont bother with things like cotton tshirts etc. as they usually take no time at all :D

I use our dryer sparingly. I think they can be really hard on clothes (at least the old, crappy ones can - these new ones seem to use the breath of angels to dry your clothes, then fold them for you and go make you a latte while you're waiting!). I also like to make use of the fresh air and sunshine because it bleaches out stains so well and everything smells so nice after, but life would definitely be harder without a dryer.
These days I would cheerfully strangle a puppy in exchange for a dishwasher. I am so sick of doing dishes by hand!!:growlmad:

lol Sarah!

I would like to strangle our puppy most days, but I'd also happily strangle him for a clothes line. My darling husband is in the field so much he doesn't have time to make me one :( All I need is two telephone posts dug into the ground and my clothes line apparatuses attached! How hard can it be? :laugh2:

:) i must say im loving our new dryer!

its a condensor dryer so it collects the water out of the clothes.. which ive been using to water my indoor and outdoor plants :happydance:

Thats great. ^^ Maybe it makes that way up for the enrgy cost xD

:) i must say im loving our new dryer!

its a condenser dryer so it collects the water out of the clothes.. which Ive been using to water my indoor and outdoor plants :happydance:

:blush: I'm ashamed... I've had a condenser for years now and have never done anything other than tip the water down the sink. Thank you for waking me up! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->