ok so who wants to get pregnant in 2011? (closed group)

Woo 20 weeks! Congrats Sarah!

saranna was in the full size crib/cot and/or our bed from day one (well day 4 as we were in hospital first lol) she was tiny in it but it worked.

oooo, half way! Yay!!!

And if you're feeling flutters at times now, then it'll only get more and more over the next few weeks before he'll be kicking and booting you big time! heh. I had an anterior (front) placenta too, so didn't feel much at first, but within a few weeks you will be getting kicks you can see on the outside, trust me!

As far as I'm concerned, go with whatever you want for beds! They WILL transition, it might be hard cos some don't want to change, but we are all happily sleeping in a big bed by ourselves now aren't we!? :haha:

If you want to go with a full sized crib, you can make a smaller space within in for a newborn easily enough (a moses basket type thing, or roll up a couple of towels and put them under the bottom sheet to designate a wee area for him safely...) so don't let that stop you going that route. They do grow FAST though too, so I'm glad our bassinet was free cos they are blimmin expensive for only being use-able for a few months!

CONGRATS ON 20 WEEKS SARAH :holly: xxxxx you will feel him very soon and it is a very special experience xx

love the new photos flying / ndh! so cute

I have a wierd question some of you might know the answer too.....most cars come with 2 back seats then a small area in the middle that people can sit on but its not really a official seat. I have an SUV like this. im assuming that you are allowed to put car seats in the 2 seats but not the middle area, is that true? Im just asking incase we are able to have 3 children close together ....how do people make it work? or say someone with twins and a young toddler. At what age are they in the car seat till? Im getting a new car at the end of the year (which financing is usually for 5 years so I have to consider what might happen in those 5 years) and wondering if we should consider a 7 seater that you could put 3 car seats incase it happens! or perhaps the toddler is out of the car seat quicker than I think.

went to see what to expect when you are expecting yesterday, I was expecting it to be really bad but it was actually quite funny. I quite like that all the characters experienced different things like infertility and adoption, easy vs bad pregnancies, miscarriage etc. I was nervous for the end as I thought I might blub a lot during the births but I wasnt toooo bad!!

It depends on the laws of your country as to what age a child is in a car seat until.
Generally over here baby under 1 year are in a rear-facing car seat, then forward facing from 1-3 years. Then around 3 or 4 years old they switch to a booster seat and stay in that until around 7 years old or until they can comfortably and safely where the normal seatbelt.

If the middle seat in your car has a 3 point seatbelt then a carseat can go there. But if it only has a lap belt then you can't put a carseat there.

Good answer Huggles. Here they are not forward facing until they are 2. My 8 year old niece just stopped using a booster when she turned 8.

ok looked at the website

"The law is a minimum requirement. It’s best to keep your child rear-facing until they are at least one year old or until they have reached either the maximum height or weight limits of the rear-facing seat. "

"A child can start riding facing forward when he or she is at least 9 kg (20 lb.)."

so they stay in a car seat from age 1-3, how many times do you need to change the seat for their size?

If we do end up having 2 or 3 good frosties I plan on doing them asap as I will be 40 when first bub is born, so I could possibly have 3 in carseats at once. I think my middle seat has a belt I will have to look.

We used an infant carseat to 6 months and now have a convertible carseat that will be rear facing, forward facing and a booster all in 1 seat. This should be the only carseat we will need until she is out of a carseat. Though when she's much older we may get a smaller booster because this seat is huge and mega-padded.

we're the same as sheryl - used the infant carrier seat that came with the travel system for the first 6 months, but have just switched to a convertible seat that is also rear-facing, forward-facing and then a booster.

But if you don't use a convertible one then you need one for 0-12 (or 24) months that's rear-facing, then another from 1-3 years that's forward-facing, and then a booster seat.

Ella is still on a booster like this and she is 8 -https://www.target.com/p/Graco-No-BackTurbo-Booster-Baker/-/A-12254082?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C12254082&CPNG=NoCPNG&ci_sku=12254082&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=
It is to help the seat belt land in the correct spot but she was out of her actual carseat booster thingy a few years ago. They're so big and bulky so we didn't want to use it.

But i actually always was told to put the infant seat IN the middle of the back seat because a side impact car accident could be bad if they're on the side....before we startyed using the mini van Kian was in the middle and Ella's booster was squished in next to it but worked fine. Now in the mini van he is on the side because we have side air bags that drop down in a curtain. Not that it would probably do much, but the seat belt in the middle of the van isn't great so im not putting him in the middle.
So, yes, if you had 3 in a car seat you could put one in the middle, howevever, may be tough. Especially since by the time you have #2 im sure #1 wouldn't be big enough for a booster yet and if under 2 should be rear facing still.

it is pretty much the consensus to rear face AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. So whle it may only be the law to rear face until 12 months or something, shop for a car seat that rear faces much longer if possible. Like, 3-4 years old if possible. SO much safer to rear face as long as possible... (Look up youtube for good examples of WHY extended rear facing is the best option. Caleb is about 9kg now; there is NO WAY in hell that he is forward facing for years yet!) And then forward facing in a harness, then into a booster seat until they are tall enough for the seatbelt to sit correctly on them (often about 8-10 years old).

Most good convertible car seats can go from birth right through to a booster in the one seat, so you could get away with one seat per child that way. A capsule can be handy for a newborn though as they can be carried in the capsule!

So if I was you I'd get a capsule initially; buy it as late in your pregnancy as possible though, and get it brand new. They generally have 6 years until they expire, so you might just be able to use it for all three. Then you can get a convertible seat for each one as they grow out of it (and keep the capsule for the next one!)

Alternatively you do your research now and go straight to a good convertible seat to last the whole time, and skip the capsule totally.

Yes, there are good convertible seats that will fit three-across the back seat (including good extended-rear-facing ones), but you will need to research that yourself as the brands you have there will vary to here!! Here the 'radian' is great; rear faces till like 45lb, and lasts right through to a booster seat. And fits three across in most average cars!! https://ethertonphotography.blogspot.co.nz/2010/08/sunshine-kids-radian-xtsl-car-seat.html But if you research them specifically for fitting three across over there, then you should find some to choose from; there are heaps of people with three kids in car seats and only average cars!!

Here is a good thread: https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

Oh, and research shows the safest place is the middle of the back seat, next safest is passenger side of the back seat, then drivers side of the back, then passenger front.

Yeah unfortunately this is an area you'll have to research yourself as every country has different laws and car seats. But three in the back seat is totally possible, though will be tricky for whoever is in the middle. But you have a few years to worry about that :)

The laws here are abyssmal, yet its illegal to use any car seat not manufactured here, and the ones here only rear face til 12kgs, and Sara's so tall I worry she'll outgrow the seat height wise before weight wise. ISOFX will be legal from next year, but manufacturers still need to make the seats and cars will need to be fitted with ISOFX...so we're looking at a while before extended rear facing is even available here :( Australia has the fifth highest car-related infant/child injury and death rates in the world :(

sarah we have a car seat that separate from the travel system but can be fitted into it.. i guess its different laws everywhere as the others say, here we must have her rear facing and i know what the others mean by rear middle. im going to have to try and change that as i know how dangerous it can be with side impact xxx

Oh yes, on that note, Sara is in the middle seat. Getting her in and out from that seat can be a pain, but its worth it knowing she's just that little bit safer. When number two comes along she'll be behind the passenger seat and the new bub will be in the middle. When number three domes along I haven't yet worked out who will go in the middle - it might have to be Sara again as I think it will be easier for an older child to get in there? Idk. Maybe we'll get a full size van straight away then and not wait til we have enough kids to fill it :rofl:

thanks so much everyone!! great info, I now know to look for a convertable, but will get a capsule first (flying great advice to wait near birth so hopefully it will last for all kids). and I hadnt even thought about middle being safer....all my friends I see put them on the sides but perhaps their middle doesnt have a belt. its funny that Im thinking about future kids before I buy a car, my life is changing!

I have been feeling bub more the past 3 days, on friday I felt a proper punch or kick on my side....I even felt it from the outside as I had my hand on my stomach, and last night I definitely felt more kicking like movement :cloud9:

just make sure you check the manufacturer date on the capsule when you buy it so you know it's as new as possible! Some are already several months old in the shops which cuts down their life if you want it to last three kids....

YAY for more movements!!!!!!!!!!! So amazing!!

Car seats here are good for 10 years (barring accidents) so look into how long they can be used for in Canada as well.

Hooray for movement! Is it feeIng real yet?

actually the expiry differs from one brand/model to another. Though most convertibles have an 8-10 year lifespan, capsules are usually only 6. Does vary though, so always check the manual!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->