'Older Mums' buddies thread!

sweeps are sounding kind of scary now ... i hope it's ok smiler and kiki? keep us posted!

well aside from being at the bl*dy hospital about 3 hours in all! it was fine ... I think I must be slightly bonkers though, because I really thought I would suddenly relax and chill about it all when seeing lo on the screen, but I didnt at all! At first my bladder was TOO full (!!!!) so I had to go and wee, then the sonographer said that things were okay and 'all where they should be' and showed us the "super" (her word!) heartbeat (and played it, which was nice) - but LO didnt seem to be moving about, and also was lycing face downwards? which I found really odd and made me worry more - no-one else seemed concerned at all, I asked her and the midwife and they both said 'they lie wherever they want to'! The sonographer said 'they're bonding with you as they're bouncing off your aorta' !?!?!
Not sure whether anyone else has had this or whether its a cause for concern, or whether as OH says I am always looking for things to worry about!

Anyway, here's some pics - as they were lying upside down I rotated one so you can tell what it is!

Also he/she's grown 3 times in size since the last scan a month ago, they've put me at 12+4 now.

This must all seem so long ago to most of you now! Thanks for your support guys! If only I could have a stiff drink!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8229.jpg
    IMG_8229.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8230.jpg
    IMG_8230.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 6
Oh congrats on the scan Ellie! :happydance:

I'm sure everything is fine ... they usually don't waste any time telling you if there's something amiss. He/she could have just been having a little rest - nothing to worry about I'm sure :)

I love the sound of the heartbeat, it's just the most beautiful sound ever!! :baby:

cheers avabear... my little 1st tri worries must seem like nothing to you now! i cant wait to be where you are! but i guess i will always worry about something :dohh:
i wonder if after your lo is born you will take every chance to listen to their little heart then too! aaawww

Ellie I am sure there is nothing at all to worry about hun, they do lie in some funny positions sometimes! Your pics are great, mine just looked like a blob at 12 weeks LOL

Mine refused to pose for photos too at 12 weeks - she just lay there with her back to the "camera" the whole time! :sleep:

I'm hoping to get better photos at 20 weeks :D But if I don't, then I'm back for another scan a week later as part of the research study, and I've been told I'll get some free photos from that one!

Ellie, so glad all went well at the scan. As has been said, they really would tel you if anything was wrong, so LO was probably sleeping. I remember Caidan wasnt that active at my dating scan either, but that changes, believe me!!!!

Please dont belittle the worries you have in 1st tri hon, just cos we are past that stage doesnt mean we didnt have the same worries. But, we can help you with them and reassure you with any you may have. Just as you will do when you are at our stage and some poor girl is worrying herself over something at 10 weeks plus!!!

xxx

I agree with Kiki, the worries are still there hun, we just have different ones but they are no more nor less important!

aww thanks guys :hugs: :blush:
its so reassuring to hear about others experiences and that mine isnt the only lazy one around! You're right, Im sure they would have said if there was a hint of anything wrong, I think I'm still having a hard time believing that there really is a baby in there....
marleysgirl that study sounds interesting, whats that about? is it an nhs project or something else? i'm intrigued! (not just at the thought of free photos!)

I still can't believe there is a baby in there even when I can see my belly wobble all over the place !!

marleysgirl that study sounds interesting, whats that about? is it an nhs project or something else? i'm intrigued! (not just at the thought of free photos!)

It's a worldwide study into pre-eclampsia and low baby weight, researchers are trying to see if there is any clue in antibodies in the mother's bloodstream that can predict (and in future prevent) problems in late pregnancy. For me it means more hospital appointments, but I'm not bothered as I'm not working at the moment - additional blood tests, and one additional scan visit at 21 weeks, plus blood is taken from the cord at birth. I believe only three hospitals in the UK are participating (Leeds, London & Manc) and I'm research subject no. 204 for Manchester! https://www.scopestudy.net/

That sounds really interesting, how long is the study going to take?

That sounds really interesting, how long is the study going to take?
Actually that's something I don't know, all I know is that it's going on at the moment!

The research midwife said I was the first person to get in touch as a result of reading posters requesting volunteers (when I went for my first scan), normally they approach people waiting in the antenatal clinics here.

cheers avabear... my little 1st tri worries must seem like nothing to you now! i cant wait to be where you are! but i guess i will always worry about something

Not at all, I can easily remember how freaked out I was at the beginning, probably way worse than I am now. Once you get a little further on, you tend not to feel quite so anxious, I mean that horrible paranoid anxiety you get at the beginning (like checking every time you go to the toilet, worrying if you suddenly stop feeling sick, constantly fretting) but you just start worrying about other stuff .. what's that twinge about, is it kicking enough, is it the right way up ... then you move onto the labour/birth worries ... will I tear, how much will it hurt, will I need a section etc etc .. I actually think the worries of pregnancy are just to warm us up for the worries of parenthood!!!!

I actually think 1st tri worries are the worst ones, because until you have your scan, you don't have anything to go on for reassurance other than the :bfp:. At least once you get on a bit the baby is kicking which is extremely reassuring!

yep youre right ... it still seems so abstract ... even though i have had 2 scans, that hasnt seemed to have helped much!
and woke up today to brown spotting and slightly cramping .... so going out of my mind now with fear and worry ... it never ceases to amaze me how stressful the whole thing is. my mw couldnt get me into the epau until tomorrow ... so i somehow have to try and stay sane today ... aarghh... i dont know whether anyone else had this....

I had spotting and I was told to go home and not worry ( oh ok then!!) I then saw the mw who sent me to epau for a scan even then there was an over the weekend wait. It is horrible having to wait like that. I too had slight cramping but I thought it might be due to worry.
All the best for your epau appointment, if things havent gotten any worse then thats got to be a good sign?

Ellie don't panic!! I had some brown spotting just before my 12 week scan so they got me in a few days early but they didn't find a cause and I didn't have any more. I am sure it will be nothing hun :hugs:

thanks hon its hard for me not to panic though :) i am trying to relax it seems to have stopped now, having pains in the right side of my belly though. glad i phoned the mw and got in tomorrow, although if its all fine then i'll probably feel like a fraud!
hows everyone else doing? staying warm i hope - its bl*dy freezing down here!

I know :hugs:

It is sunny here atm but has peed it down all weekend and we even put the heating on yesterday for a couple of hours!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->