'Older Mums' buddies thread!

hi there,

Just found this thread and wondered if I could join?

I am 39 and pregnant with my first baby. Have so many questions and concerns.

Quick run down. Was trying for 16 months before being put onto clomid. I was ovulating but they prescribed 50mg to 'help you along'. was very negative after so long of trying and having missed the age based cut-off date for a free round of IVF and had no faith in the Clomid. Yet here I am after only one cycle on clomid - pregnant!

Last few months (Before I got pregnant) had been on and off quite miserable and I was starting to get my head round to the idea that I might never have kids.

Now I am almost 7 weeks and I have an early scan with the fertility unit next week. Am going through ups and downs where I worry about the baby having something majorly wrong with it, or being told it's a non-viable pregnancy so would just like to chat to other people about the tests and the concerns.

Am in Cardiff.

Hi Beanz,
welcome :hi:

I have no experience of Clomid etc as I was not on any treatment but I understand your worries as I am almost 38 and expecting my first baby :happydance:

I had an early scan which I have booked privately with babybond, I needed some reassurance because I had a m/c last year and I couldn't wait to see a HB!!!

Monday I have a dating scan with NHS which I didn't know about before I booked the early scan privately but I am happy as hopefully I will get to see my bean again soon :cloud9:

From there it will be a wait to my nuchal scan which is at 12w+4.........

Post anything you want in here as we all are in the same situation and there are really lovely ladies :hugs:

Hi Beanz,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! :happydance::happydance:

How fantastic to get pregnant after trying for 16 months.

I think that all of the worries that you describe are perfectly normal. It does get a bit easier in 2nd Trimester (or the worries change a bit anyway!), but definitely for the whole of first tri I was so paranoid that something would go wrong, either a miscarriage or that there would be no heartbeat or that the baby wouldn't develop properly etc. etc. I am a bit more relaxed about things now - you will get there!

That is great that you have an early scan soon, hopefully that will provide you with a bit of reassurance.

Welcome to the thread, all the girls here are lovely!!

Hi Beanz, Congratulations on your pregnancy, Polaris is right that the first tri is fraught with worries and anxieties. Every part of pregnancy has its own worries but I think the first tri is particularly un nerving.
All the best for next week.

soon2be6 - ouch that sounds really sore!! Glad you're ok, no wonder you got a fright :hugs:

beanz - welcome :) congrats on your :bfp: Good luck with your scan next week. As others have said, you never stop worrying as such throughout your pregnancy but first tri is particularly stressful :hugs: Keep us posted, hope it all goes well for you and LO :)

I haven't been here for a few days but we've had a funny week, so here's my update. I phoned the MW on Monday about some "leaking" that I've been having over the last couple of weeks. She told me to go down to the hospital just to get it checked out. I went down after work with hubby, they took urine samples and swabs and examined me and it's not my waters (phew!), they think it might be a little bit of thrush. They were really nice and as a little bonus we heard the heartbeat again ... first time hubby has heard it. They took blood as well to keep "as a baseline" because of my high BP I'm at higher risk for pre-eclampsia (although there hasn't been any sign of it so far).

On a lighter note, we've ordered up a bunch of stuff for the nursery, I'm ordering the furniture next week. I went to the theatre last night to see West Side Story and every time the orchestra started up the baby went mad! It was really fab, so obviously responding to the music!

I've had the osteopath as well and it's helping with the SPD/PGP, some good days and some bad but the massage and manipulation definitely eases it a bit ::)

Right ladies that would be well past my bedtime LOL ... it's getting reminiscent of first tri here, me in bed by 9 most nights!

Bet you were relieved it wasnt your waters?!
All this talk of theater going reminded me how much of a life I dont have, lol, sounds like a good night and your baby obviously liked it!

Morning ladies

Ava thrush is horrid - could they give you anything for it? Sounds like a fab night at the theatre and how cute your lo loving it :cloud9: I haven't been since Christmas when we went to see A Christmas Carol which was great!

Welcome Beanz and congratulations on your pregnancy, I am 39 and this is my second child although it feels like my first cos my DD is 15! It is all very worrying in First Tri but the time will fly by! Good luck for your scans.

Majik Good Luck for tomorrow - what time is your scan? bet you can't wait!!

I had a lovely day out yesterday, went shopping to the White Rose Centre in Leeds with a friend, I bought some maternity shorts and a t-shirt from DP and got some cute bootees and a little hat with ears on from Pumpkin Patch!! I MUST stop buying clothes now though cos we have loads - they are all just so cute though!!!! DH is getting on with our nursery now we have had it re-plastered, he is starting to paint it today! (feel a bit guilty cos I can't really help much - he is glossing so I need to avoid the fumes really!) I just can't wait till it is all done and i can get out all the lovely things we have bought to go in it!! :happydance: It is all starting to feel more real for me now and only five weeks left to work!!!! :wohoo:

Welcome to the thread Massa! I was only 23 when I got pg first time round and I am 39 now, I think you are classed as an older Mum if you feel like one?!!

Wow golcarlilly, only 5 weeks left in work!! Bet you can't wait!

Welcome Massacubano!

Hello Massacubano, Im 36 and certainly feel older,lol!
We've bought loads of clothes for babies in the past and baby has grown out of them before we opened the packet! Sounds like youre getting on with your "list" of things to do, good on you!!

Welcome Massa,

Golcarlilly, my scan was at 3.10. I am pleased to say that I have seen the HB again, and baby bean has grown 10 mm from last week. It's perfectly measurement for 9 weeks :happydance:

I am so happy, I was so nervous, afraid that I wouldn't see the HB, my DH said I am silly but you know :blush:

Hurry up 26th June..................................:happydance:

magik71, its such a relief when you see the little heart beating away! Is June 26th your next scan date? If you're anything like me you'll have the same worries all over again then,lol or maybe Im just paranoid :rofl:

hey girls,
welcome massacubano, and beanz, i am in newport so not far from you, fantastic for you! :)
ava hope you are feeling better ... sounds pretty scary ... at least they will be keeping an eye on it now.
and golcarlilly - woohoo 5 weeks hooray!!! :happydance:

well i have just spent the weekend on a meditation retreat in devon which was lovely (even the getting us up by ringing a bell at 6am!) the weather was amazing and the countryside was just idyllic. sadly had to come back to go back to work today :cry: although made the executive decision to go in a bit later!
and the people that were there i only see at these retreats and the last one i went to was 15 months ago, so a few of them knew or heard about the baby and one or two actually guessed - which was wierd - i know i've put onloads of weight but i think i just look fat not pregnant! and one person did say 'oh you don't look it' ... well i am only 15 weeks after all!
well i spose i'd better think about getting dressed and considering work :( hope all are enjoying the sunshine!

Glad all went well Majik!! I wish I had another scan to look forward to but we have decided it it a bit too expensive to have another one so I guess the next time I see him he will be actually here!! (scary!!)

Thanks Soon2b6, yes on 26th I have the nuchal, I am paranoid about what they may say but at the same time I can't wait to see the HB again.

I told my DH that if it was possible I would buy an ultrasound machine to look at bean everyday, just to be sure is still there. You paranoid? As you can see I am doing a good job myself :dohh:

Thanks Golcarlilly, I know the scan are very expensive but you don't have long now to meet your :baby: in person!!!!!!!!!!! You must be so excited, wow :cloud9:

LOL Majik I would LOVE to own an ultrasound!! or maybe we could just develop see-through skin on our bellies now that would be good!!

I can't believe I didn't think of that lol, it would be so nice so instead of going to the loo every 2 seconds on nickers watch I would be on HB watch :dohh:

oooo now there's an idea - except i'd never leave the house i'd just be watching lo all day :rofl:
i think i'm addicted to my doppler though! i have to limit myself to every other day, even that's probably a bit much!
hey magik i had a (private) scan at 8 weeks and it was just such a relief to see the little hb beating away .... 26th june isnt long now :happydance:
i have next scan on 2nd July I think the 'anomaly' scan? is that the one where they check over heart etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->