'Older Mums' buddies thread!

Marleysgirl I hope all goes well at your scan hun, as the others have said you have a very PMA and although you are high risk you still have a high chance of nothing being 'wrong' with LO I wish you well whatever the outcome :hugs:

Ellie I totally know where you are coming from! I am so sick of trying to remember what I can and can't eat and I have cheated :blush: I have eaten Sushi (after checking that Yo Sushi fish is all frozen prior to being used which kills the bugs/worms), prawns - seems to be conflicting info on whether they are safe or not! and the odd glass of wine here and there. I have avoided blue and runny cheeses and been having steak well done instead of my usual still Mooing :rofl: and I haven't had any shellfish or pate.

I would say in general we should just use our common sense really!

quite right!!!
mmmm, sushi ..... wonder if that would help the cockles craving??? (they have to be the ones I used to have when i was little, from a fishermans stall at saundersfoot harbour in a paper cone covered in vinegar ... yum ... obviously you cant get that now :( )

MMM I had some prawns soaked in vinegar on Blackpool prom a couple of weeks ago, I could just eat some now!

Hi Ladies, hope you are all doing well.
All this talk of food is making me hungry!! :)
I have also started to relax a little on what I eat and use common sense after all when our mothers were pregnant with us there was none of this food paranoia.

Marleys girl good luck with your scan I hope all goes well.

I chickened out of the NS scan and Downs blood screening as I was so stressed out around the 12wk mark due to a previous missed m/c around that time. My DH and I discussed it and decided that for my stress levels and baby's health that we would not find out. I know that due to my age at conception (36, I am 37 now) that there is a risk there, and if our baby has Down's or some other syndrome then we will deal with this when it is born but love it as much as anything anyway. As termination was out of the question for me, we felt it was better for me to relax and enjoy my pregnancy.

I have to say the closer I am getting to my due date the more I'm starting to wish I had the tests done, to prepare me better mentally. I am starting to wonder what if? and if by not taking the tests what if something else was missed that could cause problems for the baby. I am a worrier anyway so I suppose this worry is inevitable for me.

Sorry to ramble on. :blush:

Ellie, I've read it all on here now - somebody in Tri-2 is asking if it's safe to eat fishfingers .......

(No offence to them, but wouldn't common sense tell you that it's white fish, and it's been treated with everything under the sun?)

I remember my mum saying she was told to eat liver, not to my taste, as Im also a veggie but the guiness, now that sounds like good advice to me!!! Someone told me that strawberries were unsafe in pregnancy, but I just had a craving and they were reduced in price and...................I ate them:blush:

Hi everyone, you do make me laugh. I log on every night and sit and tell my OH the things we discuss!!

Today was a bad day got MS whilst walking the dog before work (8am ish), had to throw up in a bin by a bus stop!!. Felt a right wally bet all the passing drivers were all thinking I was recovering from a heavy session last night OMG! Then the dog licked my hand and it was nearly all over for me!

I must ask my midwife about the Guinness when I see her next week, see if they're still recommending it ....

Truman :hugs: I was lucky enough to escape MS, I just had the super-bad tiredness.

I'm very tired too, having weird dreams last night I dreamt I was on B&B all night just couldn't stop reading and typing messages got up at 4.08am for a pee and then feel fast asleep bit of a bummer when you have to be up at 7.00. I think I am going mad!! At my age I should know better.

I remember being told that many years ago my Uncle was in hospital over Christmas and all the patients got some Guiness on Christmas Day.

I think it's all common sense really and like someone said maybe that develops a bit more with age? I think as well by the time you reach your 30s (or maybe even earlier) you have a little more confidence in your ability to make informed and sensible choices ...?

As for me I avoid unpasturised dairy, eggs (I only like them runny, so no eggs for me), like gocarlilly I like my steak rare so I'm having it well done, I'm not much of a drinker anyway, so I've only had a weak shandy during the pregnancy. I've avoided peanuts as I have eczema and I really don't want this baby to have it, it's no fun. But I don't stress about these things, I figure pregnancy is stressful enough without worrying about every single thing I eat!!

Time to go and get dressed, got the health visitor and the midwife this morning, get to hear the heartbeat again :happydance: I never get sick of that!!

I haven't really avoided any foods either. I haven't eaten liver or pate (don't like either of them anyway) but I have eaten sushi (have read that its perfectly safe if it's frozen first), seafood, prawns, peanuts. I have also had a taste of OH's medium rare steak although I wouldn't go as far as eating a whole one, and I have also tasted small bits of various cheeses, although again I wouldn't go mad. I don't like runny eggs but if I did I would certainly be eating them too. I am generally avoiding alcohol but have had the odd glass of wine. I am generally just trying to eat healthily and trying to avoid too much processed food, artificial additives, etc. I think what others have said is probably true, we have seen scare stories come and go and know that advice changes all the time, so we tend to use our own judgement rather than getting too concerned about all the paranoia.

Polaris did you eat sushi at a restaurant? I kept expecting someone to say -'You can't eat that when you are pregnant' but they didn't LOL I am so paranoid!!
I also hate runny eggs OMG the thought makes me wanna :sick:

Sorry for the runny eggs comment, hope it doesn't set off anyone's MS :eek:

I had the MW this morning (and the health visitor) ... everything is great apart from my BP which they are watching really closely. I've started trying to eat a lot better, cut out the processed stuff, see if that helps, but I think they'll end up putting me on medication. The MW said that normally I'd be in hospital with my BP as it is (!!) but because the BP guy at the clinic isn't overly concerned (I had a 24 hour monitor which came back fine), they'll just watch it for now. Oh yeah and baby is measuring 34cm and I'm 31 weeks ... which is good and bad ... good because my BP obviously isn't holding it back and bad because please god don't let this be a big baby LOL. It's been measuring ahead now for a while, at 25 weeks it was 26cm, at 28 it was 30cm and now at 31 it's 34! Oh well at least it's healthy! :)

Oh and I'm being referred for physio for my pelvis which I'm really pleased about, hopefully won't have to wait too long :happydance:

Best of luck for your physio appt hope they can do some good for you it is horrible being in pain all the time!

I expected mw to tell me my BP was high last time I went cos my job was stressing me to the top of the tree but luckily it was fine!!

Polaris did you eat sushi at a restaurant? I kept expecting someone to say -'You can't eat that when you are pregnant' but they didn't LOL I am so paranoid!!
I also hate runny eggs OMG the thought makes me wanna :sick:

Yes in a restaurant. I know what you mean about worrying about people commenting - I don't really look pregnant yet so I wasn't worried but once I really start to show I would certainly be conscious of that. Some people do seem to feel that they have the right to comment on every little thing just because you are pregnant. It is like your body doesn't belong to you anymore, which I suppose in a way it doesn't! But I would really hate to come across as irresponsible because I don't think I am, even though I ignore a lot of the more extreme pregnancy guidelines.

Avabear - sorry to hear your blood pressure is still so high - at least baby is obviously thriving though. Good luck with the physio appointment, hopefully that will give you some relief.

I know it's funny about the BP, high BP apparently makes baby smaller, because it's not getting the same amount of blood via the placenta ... thankfully for our LO that doesn't seem to be an issue!! :happydance:

I got a call from the MW yesterday, she wants to do a home visit to check my BP tomorrow (because they know it's much lower at home), fingers crossed it's lower. If not I think I'd prefer medication just to be on the safe side, but we'll see what happens.

I had my first antenatal class last night and it was really good! The woman who took it is a MW, she was covering for the usual person. The MW was fab, really common sense with a good sense of humour, she should definitely consider doing it more often because I was quite apprehensive and I came out feeling quite excited about it all! :D

Morning All ....

No news on the baby side of things (my anomaly scan is next Monday), but I have now got THREE job interviews lined up in the next two weeks, so I'm pretty happy!

Ava what topics did they cover in your class, do you have more than one?

Marleys - best of luck for your interviews!!

Polaris, I had another pang of guilt last night cos DH asked me to call and buy some wine for him - I felt like I shouldn't be buying it!!!

Good luck with the interviews Marleysgirl!

gocarlilly - I used to work in our local Co-op and one of our staff was a little ... how to say ... militant about certain things, an obviously pregnant woman came in and bought wine, and was asked "I hope that's not for YOU" ... I couldn't believe it, if she'd said that to me I'd have told her exactly where to shove it .. and sideways ... LOL.

I have another class next week, and then one in a few weeks time. Last night was about the stages of labour, an intro to pain relief, when to come in and when to stay at home, what we expect from our partners and what they think we expect.

Next week is a tour of the midwives unit and labour ward, more in depth look at pain relief and some other stuff I can't remember! The third class is a breastfeeding class.

What was funny was for one exercise all the women were put in a group and all the men in another group. The women instantly formed a cosy circle, and the men formed a very open semi circle! And when we were all talking you could hear the women all laughing away and the men were really quiet! The differences between the behaviour of men and women in groups has never been so obvious! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->