'Older Mums' buddies thread!

Congrats on your scan Meerkat! It's such an amazing feeling seeing your little one on the screen isn't it? Suddenly makes it real and you can then go and tell everyone, it's so much fun!!

The doppler lets you hear the baby's heartbeat, here's an example: Fetal doppler. I didn't get one because I knew if one day I couldn't find the heartbeat (baby moved or because I just don't know what I'm doing lol) I'd freak out.

As for the food question, I think some folks just get really really anxious, which in many cases is understandable ... I'm lucky this is my first pregnancy and it's all gone really well (BP notwithstanding) but if I'd had a MC or had taken ages to become pregnant .... KWIM? It's a shame really because it probably just gives more stress, which is counter productive. I do know that there was a serious case of (listeria I think) from lettuce believe it or not, but I just play safe by carefully washing all salad. I think it's because a lot of the salad doesn't come from the UK/Ireland where hygiene is much more stringent. But washing cut fruit is really silly, you'd lose all the goodness down the sink.

Here's the lowdown on the lettuce thing (I finally found it):
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-listeria.htm

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos..

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bott le and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY, no video/dvd films,
no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms.........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

FOOTBALL, RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on
MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Doesn't that bring back memories ... our childhoods were GREAT. I feel a bit sorry for kids now, they'll never know the freedom we did .... and don't even start me on the sport thing ... OMG ... :rofl:

I know, some of it made me wanna cry (hormones!) for what our kids will never have!

Golcarlilly, that was fab (a rather 70's expression dont you think) It was so nostalgic and lovely, we shared pre chewed chewing gum too, but I was a particularly revolting child,lol.
Thank you it needed saying!!

I still use 'fab' and 'brill' and occasionally 'groovy' OMG showing my age totally :rofl:

We shared chewing gum too :sick: !!

As for the food question, I think some folks just get really really anxious, which in many cases is understandable ... It's a shame really because it probably just gives more stress, which is counter productive.

Yes. No offence to the OP in the thread in question, but it's taken her 15 cycles to conceive - was she following her midwife's instructions so carefully during all this time? If she was as stressed and worried then as she is now, it may have contributed to her difficulties ....

Or perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, laid-back, and I'll be a cr@p mum :rofl:

The doppler lets you hear the baby's heartbeat, I didn't get one because I knew if one day I couldn't find the heartbeat (baby moved or because I just don't know what I'm doing lol) I'd freak out.
https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-listeria.htm

Thanks Avabear I hadn't thought of that. Yes I could see myself with it permanently attached to me... It's a great device though isn't it. Strange name mind. Thanks for the info though, I did wonder what it was all about!

Golcarlilly - Loved the trip down memory lane, thank you. Reminds me of really long summers, playing out all day and the never ending 8 week school holidays! We were so lucky. But then I remember my Dad saying the same about his childhood so I wonder what our kids will think when they look back.

I'm going to attempt to put a scan pic on here. Not sure what I'm doing so bear with me...

Attachments

• 12 Week Scan.jpg
    12 Week Scan.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 11
Thank you x It made me laugh at the scan I could see the whole of the legs but in the picture it looks like the baby has stubby penguin feet!!

Its a lovely picture Meercat, at my 12 week scan the babys face looked like a skull with half of it missing, freaky!!

At least yours posed, Meercat - my 12wk scan showed the back of my baby's head & back, he looked like Andy Capp on a sofa!

Congrats meerkat!!! so cute! :happydance: Enjoy telling the world!

btw ive got a doppler - an angelsounds one - i have to restrict myself to every other day which is probably still too much :blush: its so useful and has kept me from going insane with the uncertainty! BUT the one time I couldnt find it, I almost freaked out, tried again later and found it fine. I can really see how they could cause extra panicked calls to midwives.

I sitll find it hard to believe that LO really is growing properly as my belly doesnt seem to be getting any bigger, only flabbier :rofl: Only 2 weeks adn 2 days till scan and counting .....

I think I will have to stop commeneting on the 'food' threads as I might be at risk of really upsetting someone! :blush:

At least yours posed, Meercat - my 12wk scan showed the back of my baby's head & back, he looked like Andy Capp on a sofa!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh btw golcarlilly i've had those emails and they always make me blub a little! :blush:

I think I will have to stop commenting on the 'food' threads as I might be at risk of really upsetting someone! :blush:

Me too - I keep thinking "Leave the thread. Just walk away quietly." :rofl:

Meercat - cute LO pic, you must be on :cloud9:

GCL how true your email is, and what a nice trip down memory lane, my memories of summer holidays are of playing outside all day and coming home as it got dark and totally exhausted and it was ALWAYS sunny!
But whats with the eating bacon thing, that has been a constant in my preg diet I have to say ..... ummm i'm getting hungry thinking about it and I think I have some in the fridge yum yum yum!

I have to say I was really paranoid about what I ate for the first 16wks, due to 2 previous m/c's and just fear of causing anything that would jepordise this pregnancy so I'm not sure age comes into it really. Though I relaxed alot after my mum came to visit and told me she could eat what she wanted when pregnant as there where no restrictions, and I thought what the hell if that's what it was like when I was born and there was a baby boom and hygene standards probably weren't as good, then fair game on the food front, though salami and brie I'm still avoiding and I swear they will be my first meal when I have the baby!

I got an angelsounds doppler at 15wks and found it very reassuring before I felt kicks and developed a bump. Though I only used it once a week or just before a scan. Though I have to say it can sometimes take a long time to find a heartbeat and I could hear my own heart beat getting faster as I started to panic!! I used it again at the weekend, thinking 30wks i'll find the hb straight away - took me a few minutes, but at least he/she was kicking so I knew all was ok, I assume that because baby is alot bigger it needs to be near the heart to pick up the beat!!

I'm off to eat deli meat and pre washed lettuce!!

But whats with the eating bacon thing, that has been a constant in my preg diet I have to say ..... ummm i'm getting hungry thinking about it and I think I have some in the fridge yum yum yum!

I'm off to eat deli meat and pre washed lettuce!!

Oooooooh, living dangerously :D

you're almost as hard as mynx!!! :rofl:

yep my thought too ... nothing to see here! Although (I wont say any more i promise!) I do think a lot of people (no offence to anyone, I've done it too) take the advice just a bit too literally ... I mean saying "we can't have salad" is very different to saying "we have to carefully wash salad". And I have had phases of being paranoid about food, certainly, especially in 1st tri, I've had an mc before so was conscious of doing everything right ... as time's gone on I've relaxed a little as I find quite enough to be anxious and stressed about without adding food in to it :rofl:

I just thought of a couple of childhood stories that would make some people on here freak right out (not us of course!) I have memories of getting home from food shopping with my parents, my dad would quickly unpack the sausages, open them and start munching them RAW and sneak one or two to me as well! I can remember the taste now! My mum would then come in and have a go, but mostly about him nicking the food we've just bought instead of putting it away! I dont even eat meat now (not even cooked!) but occasionally I can remember the taste of it. I told a nutritionist once and he freaked right out! and said that exposure to all those sorts of bugs probably made my system stronger! :rofl:
and I remember being in Carrefour supermarket (aahh!) and my dad sending me to pick up a glass bottle of pop, then he decided to run off which made me chase him, of course I slipped on a wet patch and landed on the bottle, cutting my hands, we had to go to hospital and I howled too much to let them give me stitches - still have the scars! But we didn't sue the supermarket, or complain to anyone about the wet patch or ring the papers or get compensation, we just put it down to stupidity on my dad's part :rofl: and got on with life ....

Hey it was the 70s! health and safety didnt exist :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->