'Older Mums' buddies thread!

Good morning Ladies (or Good afternoon) depending on where you live! Hope all is well with everyone today. Go for my doc appt today. Love going to hear the heartbeat! :happydance: Anyone else having to go twice a month instead of once a month? They started me going twice about 2-3 months ago because I'm "high risk". Gawd, I HATE that saying.

Hi ladies.

Gol - wow only 3 days left in work!!! Bet you can't wait!

Ava - congrats on nearly being on last box of your ticker - another exciting milestone!! Sounds like it has flown by. I have to say, for me the first 12 weeks really seemed to drag by, but second tri has flown so far. Can't wait till we have the first birth stories for this thread!! :happydance::happydance:

Welcome Ellie and congratulations on your pregnancy - you must have a scan coming up soon?

Bubbness - I've only been going every 4 weeks up until now, but my next two appointments are every three weeks. I'm not sure why, they didn't give a reason and i didn't question it. Why are they saying that you are high risk, if you don't mind me asking?

Good morning Ladies (or Good afternoon) depending on where you live! Hope all is well with everyone today. Go for my doc appt today. Love going to hear the heartbeat! :happydance: Anyone else having to go twice a month instead of once a month? They started me going twice about 2-3 months ago because I'm "high risk". Gawd, I HATE that saying.

Well, I was on 4-weekly Community Midwife appointments, but I've just been switched to the Placenta Clinic at the hospital instead for extra monitoring - that could be anything from weekly to monthly, it depends on how I am at each visit (it's not planned ahead). I'm still waiting to hear from them with my first appointment though.

I'm on MW visits every second day for high BP and general monitoring! Lucky for me I've got a great midwife and she's got a student at the moment who is really lovely as well, and they take great care of me. :happydance: It's really comforting to know that if anything changes they'll be right on it, very reassuring.

What a hot day, roasting. Feel like I'm melting into a puddle here .... !

Hi all,
Polaris, Thank you, All the mw's seem a bit surprised that he agreed, they were so sure it would be a straight NO, but they are fairly neutral, which suits me cause they wont be delivering baby.
Hello Ellie27, congratulations!! Hope it all goes well for you.
Gol, blimey, thats gone pretty quick, only 2 days left now,hehehe
Bubbness, I have to go 2x monthly cause of raised BP, it used to be weekly but theyve come off the gas a bit for now, thankfully.

I had my GTT yesterday and MW today but she didnt have the results, Im hoping no news is good news!! My bp is a bit up again 160/90 so I have to have my meds reviewed tomorrow. I was measuring big for dates a couple of weeks ago. Today I measured 37 weeks (im 29 weeks) so thats a bit of a concern but the mw seemed totally fine with it so maybe its ok after all. Seeing consultant Friday so I guess he will address it.
I reckon my bp is due to the weather it is a bit warm after all!!!!
Take care, stay cooooool:coolio:

Good gravy ladies I would LOVE for a HOT day! It has rained the last 21 out of 23 days! I asked DH when exactly did we move to Ireland?! (he's from there) :rofl:
I am considered "high risk" because of my age and the fact that I have diabetis. (geez, really botched that spelling sorry)

Hey guys, welcome ellie27 as well (my namesake :rofl: !) wow this group is getting big! :)
Gol I can't believe you only have this week to go - that's amazing - how exciting?!

Ava I'm glad you mentioned melting .... I was wondering today whether it was possible to actually melt ?? It's kind of strange though, we've all been to hot countries I'm sure, i've been in India and Spain where it was 40+ and somehow didnt feel quite as hot as this??? Hmm :shrug:

I'm sure everyone's BP is affected by the heat ... I soaked in a cool bath last night and it was so nice ... as soon as I got out I was roasting again! Maybe I'll sleep in it tonight ..... hope all are okay :hugs:

Well anomaly scan tomorrow morning ..... will keep you posted .....

soon2b6 - hopefully the big measurement is just fluid or positioning. A few weeks ago I was 3 weeks ahead but when they scanned me, baby was bang on for dates, which I don't mind admitting was a relief!! Sometimes I do wonder how relevant the measuring is, because it's so often totally wrong!! Do you mind me asking what BP meds you're on? I'm on methyldopa but it's not quite as effective as I'd like, and I'm wondering if he'll change me to labetalol which worked much better on the one occasion they gave me it.

bubbness - we're having a heatwave just now, which we haven't had for years, typical that it happens the year I'm pregnant over summer :rofl:. I've got a portable aircon unit blasting away, the nights are awful just now, no air to breathe ... ugh. Days are good though :happydance:

ellie - good luck for tomorrow! Very exciting! Keep us posted :)

Weird about the heat, I agree ... maybe we're just not used to it here!!

Hiya Ellie, good luck for tomorrow :D

I'm not sure about the heat in India, but I've certainly done hotter temperatures in Spain and on the west coast of America - the difference is, I think, the humidity here. Over in Arizona, it's a "dry heat" and far more bearable!

Ellie, hope the scan goes well, are you finding out the gender?
Ava, Im on methyldopa too, it normally works fairly well for me and Im only on 250mg twice a day so I know that can be doubled if needs be. Have you asked straight out for the labetalol?
I do suspect that the baby isn't as big as the measurements are suggesting, Ive gained 8kgs which mw didnt think was too excessive.
Get you with your portable air con!!!!!!!!!! Im just jealous, I have a desk fan, ummm not quite the same.

Hi guys, welcome Bubbness, Spritey & Ellie 27 hope you are all ok.

How hot? and our office doesn't even have aircon!

Anyway question for you all how do you feel about flying when pregnant, i've read up on it quite a bit and there seem to be a lot of negatives. Not sure it's worth the risk but can't bear the 6/7 hour drive through France my other half is suggesting, I get travel sick driving to Nottingham (an hour away!).

Told my boss today, not been feeling great and somewhat distracted didn't want him to think I was losing the ability to do my job. Funny I was expecting something..... but he was great his wife was 39/40 when she had their last child, so he fully understood where I was coming from when I said I wanted to get all the tests out of the way before we told anyone else. He was very supportive and said I had to let him know when I was ready but reassured me everything would be fine! Wierd eh!

Ellie - good luck with your scan, it's so exciting to see baby properly!! Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing your pics.

Truman - glad that telling your boss went better than expected. Sometimes people surprise you by being so understanding. I haven't told my boss yet (longish story, don't work in the same county at the moment, so I actually haven't been talking to her), actually I am planning to ring her today and break the news. Not sure what the reaction is going to be. I'm currently in a trainee position as I'm finishing college in September, so my post is due to be upgraded at the beginning of October (not sure yet if I have to do an interview), so I'm not sure what the reaction will be when I'm heading off on maternity leave in October! Hope it all works out OK!!

soon2b6 - LOL sounds flash eh? My auntie bought it a wee while back and only used it twice, was going to throw it out ... I was like "WOAH" LOL. It's not brilliant but it does help a bit and I'll take whatever I can get! As for the methyldopa I'm on 500mg 3 times a day, I was initially on 250mg 3x, which took it down to about 150/98 ish, then they doubled it, but it really hasn't made any difference. I'm going to ask about the labetalol tomorrow when I see the BP Prof, it was fab the time I used it, took my BP down from 160/102 to 153/76 within about an hour.

8kgs is pretty good ... wish I could say the same :blush: :rofl: 3rd tri has not been kind to my scales (or my ego LOL) :dohh:

Truman - it's great that you have such a supportive boss, it will make life so much easier. As for flying, how far on will you be when you fly? Personally I wouldn't fly long haul if I was far on (just for the comfort factor, not for any other reason) but anything up to 5 hours I would. Just make sure you sit at the aisle (so if you feel sick or need the loo, you don't have to shuffle your way out!). Get up often and move around so that you don't get stiff - your MW should have some advice for you as well, maybe do those leg exercises?

Polaris - good luck with that phone call! :D

Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

Bubbness, Spritey, Ellie27 - Welcome and many congratulations! It's lovely to see some new faces too. :wave:

Soon2b6 - Wow just read your story - no wonder you remember it so well! I guess each time must be very different. As its my first I'd be petrified of a home birth. To be honest, I'm trying not to think of the birth at all until nearer the time..

Golcar - Two days and counting, how fab, you lucky thing. I had a day off yesterday and the weather was gorgeous, it was lovely and I can't wait to be on maternity leave! I've been working for over 20 years full time and I'm looking forward to spending next Summer at home!! :happydance:

Ellie - Good luck tomorrow x

Truman - I hate flying, pregnant or not. Whenever I fly I take tablets which help. But I can't take those while I'm pregnant so no flying for me this summer. Just got back from my honeymoon in March so I don't mind too much anyway. And it's pretty toasty here at the moment too!! Where are you thinking of going?

Polaris - Let us know how you get on with breaking the news x

PS As one of the oldest here at 40, I'm happy with the older mums tag. No point skirting round it, just gotta get used to it I reckon! :rofl:

Hi ladies, well everything went pretty well telling my boss. She just congratulated me and said that it was quite good timing really because at least I'd be able to get settled into my new position before going on maternity leave, even if it was only for a few weeks! So I thought that was a very good reaction. On the negative side, everything is up in the air with regard to jobs because of the recession, so I probably won't know till the last minute if I actually have a job in October or if I just have to rely on rubbish maternity benefit from the state. Just have to wait and see I guess!

Hi guys, welcome Bubbness, Spritey & Ellie 27 hope you are all ok.

How hot? and our office doesn't even have aircon!

Anyway question for you all how do you feel about flying when pregnant, i've read up on it quite a bit and there seem to be a lot of negatives. Not sure it's worth the risk but can't bear the 6/7 hour drive through France my other half is suggesting, I get travel sick driving to Nottingham (an hour away!).

Told my boss today, not been feeling great and somewhat distracted didn't want him to think I was losing the ability to do my job. Funny I was expecting something..... but he was great his wife was 39/40 when she had their last child, so he fully understood where I was coming from when I said I wanted to get all the tests out of the way before we told anyone else. He was very supportive and said I had to let him know when I was ready but reassured me everything would be fine! Wierd eh!

Hi don't mean to butt in but was just trawling through.......I have just had my 5th M/C and I am 43. Noticed you were asking about flying while pregnant. I have a 12 year old daughter and at 5 months(pregnant with her) flew long haul to the Maldives,she even kicked the sand when I had to dig a hole for me to lie down on my tummy!!!!!!!.....no problem whatsoever....only coming back awful swollen ankles.

I flew also last year at 10 weeks....did m/c.......but apparently bean had already ceased to beat at 7 weeks. I don't believe flying would cause a problem so long as you wear flight socks and take care.

Hope that helps.

Jacci.x

hey guys
nice one polaris - bit crap about the job/pay uncertainty though. hope it turns out to be okay.
not sure about flying - loads of people do, i'm sure it's fine as long as you walk around a lot and drink loads of water. our friends' wife flew at least twice a week for her job right through her pregnancy, until they made her stop right at the end!
hey gol - last day tomorrow - will you shed a tear ?! or do a :happydance:

well, all went well this morning thank *&!*!!! they were quite quick about it too, it was in X-ray dept which was a bit odd, so sat among a load of people having dental and kidney scans and the like! they reckoned all was where it should be and seemed to be working as it should be, although they made that comment about 'there might be some chromosomal or other abnormalities that we can't diagnose' (just to cover their backs I guess). they were pretty thorough though, and the two women doing it were lovely, they even gave us 2 pics although we only paid for 1!

they had a good look around for the gender (I asked - they dont tell you as routine, is that the same everywhere now) but he/she had their legs firmly crossed and was not showing us for anything!!! so we had to give up and stay on yellow (which is what OH wanted anyway, humph!) So it's still an 'it' for now .... I really don't like 'it', but I get bored of saying he/she all the time!

Anyway, my mum is still totally desparate to go with me to one of these thigns I think, even texting me last night 'just to make sure' that my OH could definitely go, as she didn't want me to go on my own, and then again today trying to make me have a private scan which she wants to pay for and go to!!! Am I mean for refusing :shrug: I ended up saying well just wait 4 months or so and you can see them!!!

well, hope everyone is okay ... its getting slightly cooler here hurray (never thought I'd say that but I might actually get some sleep tonight!) My OH has now gone and deserted me till next weekend, away in Anglesey with his mate, then I'm meeting him there next weekend for my birthday :happydance:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 10
oh truman how was your 40th party in the end? sounds like it all went ok with telling people ... did you enjoy yourself? and did you have the little tipple or not??

Ellie, congratulations on the scan. Beautiful pictures too!! I'm sure your mum is just curious, after all there was nothing like this when they were pregnant with us!

Jacci- really sorry to hear about your m/c. :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"