'Older Mums' buddies thread!

Have a good holiday Ellie, I am a bit jeaous, I love cornwall.
Tillymum, good news about mat leave, time for yourself, yay!!
Csunshine, you are obviously very patient, I hated waiting for the early scans, that has now transferred to hating waiting for the baby to come!!!

Have a good holiday Ellie, I am a bit jeaous, I love cornwall.
Tillymum, good news about mat leave, time for yourself, yay!!
Csunshine, you are obviously very patient, I hated waiting for the early scans, that has now transferred to hating waiting for the baby to come!!!

:rofl:

I am not a patient person usually but the last time I was pg I didn't get a scan until almost 16wks and we couldn't see a heartbeat so that ended badly, but as you can see I am back and raring to go.LOL In the US they normally only give two us scans. One at 20wks and the second only if necessary to determine the size and position. LOL So very excited that I only have to wait a short time this time!

Blimey, 20 weeks is a long time to have to routinely wait for a first scan!!

PHWOAR Csunshine...only 2 scans the whole pregnancy?! Sheesh! I have to go every 4 weeks till the 30th week and then every 2 weeks due to age(I'm 36), once you hit 35 here you're automatically considered high-risk. TBH it freaked me out MORE to hear that I was high-risk just because I was 'already' 35 even tho I wasn't having any problems so in a way its a bit detremental IMO to some women (like me!) to hear 'high-risk'.

Anyway....anyone else feeling like the fridge and cupboards will never be full enuf?! I could eat EVERYTHING in sight today, no matter if sweet, hearty, fruity or junk!!! My only problem is this damn constipation!(soz...TMI!) :(

IKWYM, lol. The trouble is in my house Ive got 5 kids to compete with me, a multipack of crisps doesnt last 2 seconds, I took to eating cucumber (which I love BTW) they even get to that first!!
Its a shame they treat you as high risk just cause you are 36, I couldnt tell you if they do that here in the UK, Im high risk for lots of reasons (bp, overweight, previous c/sections) On the plus side though at least you get to see your baby lots and lots :)

Re the age & high risk thing ... I wasn't automatically considered high risk just because of my age (40), and even with a borderline BMI (30) was still only medium risk, they were happy to leave me under standard Community Midwife care.

It wasn't until an extra scan at 21 weeks (for research purposes) that they spotted a problem with Beanie's growth and my blood flow, and then I became high risk and transferred to the Clinicians.

My next scan is Wednesday, and they're deciding from scan to scan how often they want to see me. On the plus side, it means we get loads of photos of Beanie!

I just stuffed myself on toad-in-the-hole .........

I hope the scan goes well on Weds Marleysgirl.
MMMM toad in the hole :munch:

Hope all goes well on Weds Marlesygirl :)

Fish, Chips & Beans for us tonight (with a few large chip shop pickled onions on the side, mmmmmm, LO is probably already addicted! I just cannot stay away from the jar!!)

It looks like bubs is smiling in my 20w scan pic, will get OH to transfer to a jpeg file so I can upload it :) Although we are on team yellow they TOTALLY avoided that area (deliberately as it's policy not to tell you the sex) at my scan so there wasn't even the chance for a sneaky peak or guess!

They don't consider you to be an older mum in Grampian until you are 38+ so I don't quite qualify for this one! (Will be 37 when bubs is due).

Hope all had good weekends! Had a lazy Saturday (watching 24) but went for a bike ride today as was lovely as sunny :)

x

Fish, Chips & Beans for us tonight (with a few large chip shop pickled onions on the side, mmmmmm, LO is probably already addicted! I just cannot stay away from the jar!!)

I went through this stage! From about 12 weeks to 20 weeks, the pickled onions ruled! It was followed by a coleslaw craving, which is now wearing off.

Hello ladies had a lovely weekend, didn't really do anything special just hung with DH and DD and cleaned house on Sunday. I am craving dill pickles LOL

I don't know if I told you I was going to surprise DH for our anniversary and tell him after I got my u/s well DH knows my cycle better than I do. LOL

He figured it out so now I'm not going to suprise him he knows all!! I will give him the pic for our baby for our anniversary.

I am also very hungry at this stage! I hate everything in site today. LOL I also got heartburn :dohh:

At least now that he knows you won't have to pretend everything is normal! I'm sure he is over the moon!

I was so hungry for the whole of first tri, I just couldn't stop eating. I put on about 10 pounds in the first nine weeks because I just had to eat constantly!! Luckily it evened out in second tri!

Breaking news ...... breaking news ...... breaking news .......

The TV production company are definitely interested in using me for the programme, and they're coming up to film - probably tomorrow, and definitely on Wednesday at the hospital for my scan!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Will keep you all posted on when it's going to be aired (on BBC3) :D

Yes now I don't have to pretend, but it just floored me that he knew what my cycle was. :dohh: I really didn't think he paid that much attention. LOL

Good Luck Marley hope you have a wonderful scan!

Breaking news ...... breaking news ...... breaking news .......

The TV production company are definitely interested in using me for the programme, and they're coming up to film - probably tomorrow, and definitely on Wednesday at the hospital for my scan!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Will keep you all posted on when it's going to be aired (on BBC3) :D

Wow that is really exciting. Good luck with the filming!!

At least now that he knows you won't have to pretend everything is normal! I'm sure he is over the moon!

I was so hungry for the whole of first tri, I just couldn't stop eating. I put on about 10 pounds in the first nine weeks because I just had to eat constantly!! Luckily it evened out in second tri!

This is me. I can't stop eating. I've already gained 5 lbs since getting my BFP!

And Hi, I'm 36 and this is my first pregnancy.

Hi Seity, Im 36 too but on my 6th pregnancy (loooooonatic I know,lol)
Marleysgirlgirl, Hey exciting stuff and a lovely keepsake for baby!!
Csunshine - hey, no fair he guessed!!! At least you dont have to hide your dill pickles obsession now, lol.
Ive been feeling huge and very breathless the last few days, Im too big to really drive our van any more so that complicates things, it being the summer holidays and all. This baby is such a whopper I dont understand why either, all my others have been under 7 lbs????!!!! at my scan at 32 weeks the babys estimated weight was 6lbs 6ozs :wacko: and was measuring full term (arrgghh!) Oh well he/she might decide to come early :winkwink:

Don't think I wont be using that to my advantage! I really want a DQ Blizzard today! I might have to have DH go get me one. LOL

Hope the baby isn't to big LOL My best friends 4th of 5 was 10lbs 6oz. I always teased her that he was a baby he was a toddler. LOL

Morning ladies ... I seem to be up early this morning, probably excited about today's prospects for filming! Or maybe it's the fact that they're coming to my house, and so I'm up early tidying & cleaning like mad :rofl:

OOH Marleysgirl, good luck today!! how exciting bet you can't wait!!!

Hello everybody! Haven't had time to post for a while, got a lot to catch up on!

Hello, can I join too? I know I'm a bit late joining this thread, but I'm 38 and expecting my first baby, who seems very active at the moment!
Welcome Snowy :flower: It's so lovely feeling them wriggle about, isn't it? :cloud9:

I have a "morphological" scan tommorrow

Hope it went well, Szaffi :baby:

Polaris - glad you enjoyed your holiday, as you say, once you get big it's much more difficult!

What is the name of the breast pump you got cos I haven't got a clue what to get!

Mine is a medela swing. It's really good, but once I bought it I discovered I could have hired one from the hospital for a £10 deposit! It's handy anyway, and pretty easy to clean. Don't think I could ever go back to hand expressing now, it's so much faster with a pump! How did your AN classes go?

Ellie - congrats on starting the nursery! It makes it feel totally real, doesn't it? Oh and about people's reactions, I remember when I was pregnant someone said to me, "I hear congratulations are in order, was it planned or unplanned?" People are really odd sometimes :dohh: As for the pump, they're not scary at all ;) and you can always hand express ... I think though if you plan to BF you might find that there are times when you want hubby or grandma to feed the LO, or you might have a night out ... or like me, I don't want to BF in public, so will take some EBM with me in a bottle. If it's quite rare that you'll need to express milk, I'd just get a manual pump.

Acer - we were still doing our nursery at week 35 :dohh: We finished it, and less than 2 weeks later Finlay was born!!! I love the jungle theme, any chance of some photos when you're finished?

Marleys - so exciting that you'll be on the telly box!! Let us know when it will be on, can't wait to see it!! :happydance: Oh and sounds like you're nesting to me :thumbup:

Meerkat - congrats on the scan!! Don't worry if you do have to have a section, it's really not a big deal. The team who did mine were great and did a fantastic job. Hopefully though the cord will move up and you won't have to worry about it.

Gol - a very belated happy birthday! Hope you had a great day :hugs:

CSunshine03 - welcome to the thread :) It's a haven of common sense in here :) Sorry you didn't manage to surprise hubby, for all men can miss just about everything (well at least mine can), sometimes they are surprisingly perceptive!! :dohh:

Tillymum - congrats on the ML!!!! Relax and enjoy :happydance:

Pie - congrats on the scan. Nice to know that they don't consider us to be older mums till 38, we both skated under the radar there didn't we?! :happydance:

Seity - welcome! :flower:

soon2b6 - wow 6lbs already? A nice healthy bouncing baby! :baby:

Our news ...

Finlay had his feeding tube removed on Monday (was his last tube) ... and today we go to Parentcraft ... Finlay is coming home this week!! Should be Thursday, we stay at Parentcraft for 2 nights then he is discharged and our little boy will finally be coming home! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Parentcraft is a great thing, we get a room at the hospital where we stay with Finlay and look after him, but we are still in the unit, so we can get support from the staff. You can stay 1 night or 2, and we're going for 2 since it's our first baby. I can't wait, I'm just off to pack up our stuff and do some last minute tidying, because the next time I'm in the house, our little boy will be with us :baby: :happydance:

Oh and we tried BF last night - Finlay was a PRO!! He knew exactly what to do and latched on right away. I need a bit more practice, but he was fantastic! :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->