'Older Mums' buddies thread!

Can I join in? I'm 38 and 8w1d with my 6th! As you can imagine not much chance to rest for me with 5 others to look after, but hubby is being very sweet and taking over as much as he can.

I live in a developing country in South America. I'm British (from North Wales!) and my hubby is American. Three of mine were born in the US, one in the UK and 1 here. This one will be orn int he US or the UK - haven't decided yet.

I have to travel to Miami to get all my 12 week tests and scans and bloodwork etc. Is it okay to admit than I am more than a little excited about a few days alone in a hotel room with lots of shopping thrown in??!!

Congrats to everyone! I've been trying to read all your stories. Better get off my bum now and make dinner.

wow how long does it take 2 travel 2 miami? how come u r in south america now? shopping sounds good. we r flying 2 uk next friday and travelling up 2 leeds, spending staurday there and then flying back home on sunday 2 b back 4 work on monday. can't wait 2 hit the shops! lol

Suri - Hi!!! Whereabouts are you? You mention a "developing country" so I'm guessing it's not Brazil or Peru, especially as you have to go to the US for the scan & bloods (or is that choice?) Sounds like you're doing just fine though, if you're excited about the prospect of a few days shopping, obviously you don't have bad morning sickness to put you off! I too would love to hear the tale of how a girl from Wales ended up in South America - my ex-BIL is in Peru, he went there to be a teacher at an international school, and married a lovely local lass.

Maybebaby - I'm guessing Gib is not that good for shopping then, M&S don't have everything! Sounds like a bit of a flying visit, don't wear yourself out.

Ava - Not "sterifeed" bottles, our NICU has sterile "axifeed" bottles with white tops that fit Medelas. I was sooooo happy when I progressed from the 50ml to the 100ml bottles! Currently producing about 60ml per expressing session, though I did get a 75ml yesterday. I took about 10 spare bottles when I was discharged, just to keep in reserve in case I couldn't make it in one day; but each afternoon I'm delivering 6 full bottles and collecting 6 new empties. I've noticed that my let-down reflex kicks in far quicker when I express by the incubator, but no real increase in amount. The nurses suggested I use photos as a visual aid but, to be honest, I can picture Andrew in my head very easily now.

Suri - Hi!!! Whereabouts are you? You mention a "developing country" so I'm guessing it's not Brazil or Peru, especially as you have to go to the US for the scan & bloods (or is that choice?) Sounds like you're doing just fine though, if you're excited about the prospect of a few days shopping, obviously you don't have bad morning sickness to put you off! I too would love to hear the tale of how a girl from Wales ended up in South America - my ex-BIL is in Peru, he went there to be a teacher at an international school, and married a lovely local lass.

Maybebaby - I'm guessing Gib is not that good for shopping then, M&S don't have everything! Sounds like a bit of a flying visit, don't wear yourself out.

Ava - Not "sterifeed" bottles, our NICU has sterile "axifeed" bottles with white tops that fit Medelas. I was sooooo happy when I progressed from the 50ml to the 100ml bottles! Currently producing about 60ml per expressing session, though I did get a 75ml yesterday. I took about 10 spare bottles when I was discharged, just to keep in reserve in case I couldn't make it in one day; but each afternoon I'm delivering 6 full bottles and collecting 6 new empties. I've noticed that my let-down reflex kicks in far quicker when I express by the incubator, but no real increase in amount. The nurses suggested I use photos as a visual aid but, to be honest, I can picture Andrew in my head very easily now.

no gib is not so good 4 shopping tho it is much better than it was a few years ago! lol!

it sounds like u r pretty good at expressing! well done! it definately is not easy! why was andrew born so early? or was it just 1 of those things? must've been soooooo scary! :hugs:

Thank you for the chart Ava. I see the cuddles as a bonus too:)
Marleys, hope your wound heals soon, sounds as though its on its way. I was advised to wash the area with soap and water (which sounds crazy painful but wasnt) did the trick for me.
Suri Mum, Hello and welcome. I have just had my 6th baby, what have you got so far? I have now got 2 girls and 4 boys, we had a girl to start with (13 and a half years ago!!) then 4 boys so Holly is a long awaited addition to the family.

it sounds like u r pretty good at expressing! well done! it definately is not easy! why was andrew born so early? or was it just 1 of those things? must've been soooooo scary! :hugs:

I had a problem with the bloodflow into the placenta that was affecting his growth, so was being monitored in case this deteriorated. At 28 weeks things got worse, and the hospital gave me steroid injections to help build up Andrew's lungs. At 29 weeks, his movements decreased again so I had an emergency scan, and they decided he had to be delivered immediately or we could lose him - cue an emergency c/s. It was incredibly scary but we knew that he stood far more chance of surviving outside of my body. He was only 1lb 6oz on delivery, about the size of a 25wk old.

The nurses in our NICU (SCBU) have been very impressed by his progress, as he was off the ventilator in under two weeks, and they put this down to the steroid injections. But now we face a long period (minimum two months) of him staying in hospital whilst he puts on weight, he's still not 2lb.

I started expressing after four days, and it's slowly ramped up from 20ml/session to the current 60ml/session (360ml/day). Considering Andrew is only on 170ml/day, the stockpile is increasing - I have a whole shelf of small bottles in the NICU freezer!

Soonie - I was given sterile water & gauze pads to use to clean my wound three times a day, but they've run out now. I'd agree, it's not painful to clean, just a little unsightly - I think it looks like more blood that it is, because I'm really sweaty around the wound (under my belly fold) and that spreads the blood.

wow that is so good marleysgirl! am glad that andrew is making such good progress! xxx

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Tigsteroonie/Baby/Phone1209001.jpg

Beautiful picture Marleysgirl. You must be so proud of little Andrew. He's still so tiny but looks really strong and healthy!

Well I think third trimester tiredness is really starting to kick in for me now. Over the past week my bump seems much heavier and it seems to be in the way all the time. I'm still not really huge but now I can't really bend down and I'm always conscious of carrying baby around, I think I am starting to waddle a bit! At least I'm off work till the end of the month so I can take it easy. Still no word on the job front, the local area manager was off sick last week which was why we didn't hear anything, hoping to hear at the beginning of next week. It's annoying because I don't feel comfortable spending money until I know if I have a job!! And I really want to get organised for baby!! I am really starting to feel like I am on the home stretch now. Baby could potentially be here in less than 6 weeks - I am so not ready and am actually counting on baby being late!!

Fabulous picture, marleysgirl! What an adorable cutie. I love reading about all your growing bumps and babies.

I live in Suriname. We're here because of my husband's job - he works for a large U.S. overseas volunteer organization (trying to be vague so that my posts about labour and baby names and being over the hill don't pop up when people google P***ce Co**s!!!).

My other kiddos are 11, 9, 8, 5 and 2. They are going to be beyond excited when we tell them about the new baby. I daren't tell them yet as I know not one of them can keep a secret, and this is a small town. Once they know, the world will know!!

The medical care here is pretty bad. I do have a nice OB who I go to for check ups. She did a quick scan to confirm my dates so that I can be sure I am between 12 and 13 weeks when I go to the States. Lab work is a bit iffy, and the more detailed scans that I'm doing because of my Advanced Maternal Age (anyone else hate that term??!!) aren't available here. My two year old was born here - now that was an experience!

The shopping is also pants. Miami malls here I come!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. xx.

Suri, if anybody quotes that phrase at you "Advanced Maternal Age", just turn round and tell them that you know plenty of Mums who are older than you - me for one!!! Treatment here in the UK doesn't seem to differ if you are an oldie, only if they spot problems thru blood tests or scans (12 & 20wk).

(PS. Just wiki'd Suriname ... why did I always think it was in Africa? Whoops!)

wot a gorgeous pic marleysgirl!

polaris the 3rd tri can b exhausting. i worked til the bitter end and stopped work the day b4 my due date with my 1st and went in2 labour the next day! with my 2nd i stopped work a wk b4 due date. with this 1 god knows. only get 14wks paid maternity so i dont eant 2 take off 2 much time b4 baby comes.

suri your life sounds exciting!!! i love shopping. we r goin 2 uk next weekend 4 a flying visit so am looking 4ward 2 hitting the shops there! lol!

hope every1 is ok. have a splitting headache but of course cant take anything 4 it (apart from paracetamol and that does nothing 4 me so wot's the point!) so will grin and bear it. DH off playing football. when he comes back we're off 4 lunch at my in laws as his sis is off 2 uni in uk on friday.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Marleys, I love that pic, he looks sooooo lovely!!!

Polaris, the tiredness can be overwhelming :hugs: I hope the job front clears up soon, it must be unsettling to not know where you stand.

Suri mum, 11,9,8,5 and 2 wow, you are a busy lady!!! my previous youngest had just started school, so daytime I only have Holly at home, so that is a bit easier. Your maternity care sounds..... variable, lol, Im pleased to say no one ever made a big deal about my age, my weight now thats entirely different, LOL, every scan mentioned it, and these were the clearest scans I ever had.

The entire house with the exception of me and Holly have a really nasty cold at the moment, so I am paranoidly trying to avoid us catching it, she is only 3 weeks and Id hate her to get it, probably will though!!

Hello everybody

Suri - I thought I'd posted already, don't know what happened there, probably posted in some other thread and confused everyone LOL but welcome. :) Your family sounds a bit like hubby's, his Dad was in the forces so he was born in England, his sister in Scotland and his brother in Germany! Very exciting and exotic that you get to go to Miami for your scan!

Marleys - I had a look at those bottles online, I love that you can buy tamper-proof lids for them, ideal if you express at work (which I may end up doing when I go back). The sterifeed can only be bought in 100's, which is a little bit more than I need LOL, whereas the ones you had can be bought in smaller amounts. As for photos and such, I found that smelling Finlay's clean clothes worked well (I always tumble them with bounce, so to me that's how he smells!), better than the photo. Love the picture by the way - you both look so proud and happy and Andrew is so cute :hugs:

Polaris - 3rd tri is really tiring. Still, now that you're very pregnant people will do things for you ... I hardly ever had to get a bus (people always stopping to give me a lift), never had to carry anything, no one grudged me a nap ... I suppose there are positives in everything! Good luck on the job front, hopefully you'll hear very soon :hugs:

soonie - My age was never mentioned either but oddly neither was my weight, even with my BP problems. I really expected people to say something about it, but thankfully they never. As I speak - and this is really bad - I'm eating a big bag of aero bubbles (buy one get one free, what was I meant to do?!) and configuring my new wii game ... "My fitness coach" ... oh dear. LOL. However, I am going to try to get fit because if I do I could get my BP down and off the meds, which would be great for both me and Finlay.

On a slightly odd note, I've been doing really weird stuff at night (oo er missus). It's like a waking dream. The first twice I woke up (at least I thought I was awake) and started telling hubby to watch how he was holding Finlay (as if he was holding him then and there), of course hubby was baffled as he had been sound asleep and Finlay was too, in his crib. :blush: Then last night hubby found me sitting up with my arms in a cradle position as if I was holding Finlay, asking him to take the baby and put him back in his crib ... Finlay was already there, had never been out, all I remember is hubby saying "you're dreaming again" and I fell back down onto the bed then asleep. Excuse my language but WTF is that about?! It's extremely odd.

Marleysgirl- Hi I've been following this thread for a while 1st because i'm 36 and then because of Andrew... He's gorgeous and you must be so proud of him doing so well.. I asked before but you were probably really busy then and missed it , but do you know what program it was being filmed and when it will air. I would love to see it and follow the story again especially knowing it has a happy ending :)

Ava- BIIIIG question - what have you done with the other bag of aero bubbles???LOL. Seriously, I think the wii game is a great idea, time is so hard to come by with a small baby, it would be hard to do anything structured, so the game is a perfect idea, and you can do it at home without worrying about your... errm... wobbly bits,lol. I could do with some form of excercise for my BP cause it has gone crazy high SINCE Holly has been born :shrug:
I would imagine you are just sooo busy with Finlay, and perhaps more tired than you think, youre sleep patterns will probably also be a little screwed up so you get more of that half asleep time, cause you are constantly waking and sleeping to see to Finlay, I know when Im tired I do straaange things, lol. I replied to a recent thread about how I put the teapot in the fridge, I didnt realise I had done it till my mum told me :wacko:

Marleysgirl- Hi I've been following this thread for a while 1st because i'm 36 and then because of Andrew... He's gorgeous and you must be so proud of him doing so well.. I asked before but you were probably really busy then and missed it , but do you know what program it was being filmed and when it will air. I would love to see it and follow the story again especially knowing it has a happy ending :)
Sorry Deej, I must have missed your original post!

The documentary is going to appear on BBC3, either late 2009 or early 2010 - we don't know yet, but you can be sure that I'll post in B&B when I do find out! It's working title is "The Seven Ages of Pregnancy" but that could change.

Picked up a second-hand Medela Swing pump today - it's a darn sight quieter than the Medela Mini! Will let you all know how I get on later.

ETA - the Swing is brilliant! I love how easy it is to control the 2-phase flow and the strength of both flows. Got 80ml easily with no additional compression.

Hello... Just joined the site today but wanted to post on here and say hi as Im 36 and currently 12 weeks pregnant with my first! Have my dating scan tomorrow so very excited!!

Hello Emx, and welcome to the "oldies" (but goodies) :)

How are you finding your first Trimester? Suffering from morning sickness at all? You're obviously excited about the scan, and I don't blame you, it's your first chance to see your LO!

Hiya girls,hope everyone is well? I am so rubbish at keeping up with the thread these days my days just fly by in a blur!

I am still bf and loving it but it is VERY time consuming and still not braved feeding in public, i am venturing to a mum and baby group tomorrow really hoping i am not the only older mum there!

Welcome Emx - good luck with your scan, it is so nice to see baby and gives you a lot of reassurance if everything is OK on the scan.

Golcarlilly - nice to see you dropping in. We all understand that you may be a little busy these days! Well done on the breast-feeding. I am really hoping to breast-feed for as long as possible, I know it will be hard work but I think it's worth it for the benefits for baby and me.

I just filled out my maternity leave application today (had been putting it off to see if I heard anything about my job situation, still haven't heard anything but can't put it off any longer). The good news is that if I have a job, I will be off until August 2010, yippee, and actually probably wouldn't be back in work till September including holidays!! That makes me very happy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->