'Older Mums' buddies thread!

Hello and welcome EMX, the first scan is a bit magical, it all suddenly becomes "real" , enjoy!!

Golcarlilly, Hi, I agreee BF is time consuming, I find I can only do one "extra" thing in a day at the moment, today I did the food shopping, and by the time we got home Holly was ready for a marathon feed, we were only gone 2 hours, LOL. Everyone keeps encouraging me to give her bottles of formula, because they can see how hard it is, but I wont.
Im sure you wont be the only "older" mum at the group, I went to a BF cafe where we live (actually went before Holly was born, havent had the time since!!) and there were only 5 of us, and although I was one of the older ones the age gap wasnt big enough to be daunting. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Hello Emx, and welcome to the "oldies" (but goodies)

How are you finding your first Trimester? Suffering from morning sickness at all? You're obviously excited about the scan, and I don't blame you, it's your first chance to see your LO!

Thankyou for the warm welcome everyone!

I have had a retty horrendous first trimester to be honest!! (They never warn you about that in the books!!) constant nausea, boobs so sore I nearly wrote to the council about the state of the road surfaces etc..

Starting to feel my old self again now though and having more good days than bad!!

I am excited about the scan - it has all gone in whirlwind to be honest... I was really lucky to get pregnant within a couple of days of first trying - of course had anticipated it to take forever because of my age, so was a bit of a shock!! One minute we were talking about trying and the next I was pregnant... hopefully means positive vibes for the rest of the pregnancy!!!

Polaris - can't believe you still haven't heard about job! Here's still hoping.

Emx - welcome. Hope you are well. How are you finding pregnancy so far?

Gol - totally understandable that you're busy but hope you're happy and enjoying it all. A colleague came in today with her beautiful ten month old son. She was unable to breastfeed because he wouldn't latch on so it's great that things are going so well for you.

Marleys - how is life? Do you have an update on beautiful Andrew?

Ava - your dream-states do sound odd. Could it be tiredness? I often talk to my OH in my sleep and have no recollection of it the next day!

I wore my maternity tights for the first time today. Bloody waste of time! Spent the whole day falling down and at one point were under my backside! The kids must've thought something odd was going on with me trying to surreptitiously pull up my tights! I think I must've got the size too big. I've found this a lot with maternity stuff and am considering buying the next size down to my pre-pregnancy size. Or should I just grin and bear it as I'm bound to increase in size over the next few months?!

I am still bf and loving it but it is VERY time consuming and still not braved feeding in public, i am venturing to a mum and baby group tomorrow really hoping i am not the only older mum there!

I can only imagine - expressing six times a day is time-consuming enough for me at the moment!

I was really lucky to get pregnant within a couple of days of first trying - of course had anticipated it to take forever because of my age, so was a bit of a shock!! One minute we were talking about trying and the next I was pregnant... hopefully means positive vibes for the rest of the pregnancy!!!

Snap - I also thought it would take forever after 20 years of the Pill, and in fact it only took one long weekend! We believe it was because our baby was meant to be born ... and he was in so much of a hurry to be born that he arrived extra-early!

Marleys - how is life? Do you have an update on beautiful Andrew?

Andrew is doing just fine, they're tinkering with his routine at the moment to see what on/off schedule works best for him with regards to the Cpap breathing unit. He much prefers to be lying on his front than on his back.

Today's big news - get ready to go "Awwwwwwwwww" - I had my first skin-to-skin (kangaroo) cuddles with him :happydance: He's so tiny, and yet fits against my chest perfectly (between the boobs). He slept some of the time, and just looked up at my face the rest of the time, with his hand outstretched onto my boobie.

Hey all, I haven't posted in ages, but I've been reading along and keeping up with how everyone is doing.
Just wanted to say "Hi" to all the new ladies who've recently joined.

Every day is still pretty much the same for me. Still no weight or waist gain, so it's pretty much boring times. Too early to feel the baby too. I'm just lucky I've got the doppler to remind me that, yep there is a baby in there and he/she is doing fine. I'm flying cross country to California for a week to visit with my family, so that should make the time go by faster. I'll have my laptop, but I'm not sure how often I'll be logging on to BnB.

and Marley-- Awww!

Andrew is doing just fine, they're tinkering with his routine at the moment to see what on/off schedule works best for him with regards to the Cpap breathing unit. He much prefers to be lying on his front than on his back.

Today's big news - get ready to go "Awwwwwwwwww" - I had my first skin-to-skin (kangaroo) cuddles with him :happydance: He's so tiny, and yet fits against my chest perfectly (between the boobs). He slept some of the time, and just looked up at my face the rest of the time, with his hand outstretched onto my boobie.

Aww that is such lovely news, makes me feel all mushy thinking about it. So pleased that he is doing so well.

Emx - welcome and good luck for your scan tomorrow :) Ditto with your conception story - we were the same, very first time we tried! He was just meant to be ;)

Gol - I know what you mean about BF being time consuming - the growth spurt was a bit mad! I have no idea where the time is going either, days go by and I accomplish nothing but feed, change and cuddle Finlay (although there are worse ways to spend days I guess)!

Polaris - ugh what a pain for you still waiting to hear about your job. But the maternity leave sounds good, it will be here before you know it. And as for the BF - I didn't think I would manage it at the beginning, but once I got home and did it at my own pace, it just clicked. It has been one of the single best things about having Finlay :cloud9: I really hope it works out for you :)

franny - I think tiredness is probably a big factor. It's very bizarre! Oh and as for the tights, sounds a bit nora batty eh? Maternity clothes of any kind are distinctly unglamorous I've discovered (unless of course you're Myleene Klass).

Marleys - you're right about the awww ... and hopefully you will get to do that every day. It's great that he is doing so well, you must be really proud :baby:

Seity - enjoy your trip (and the fact that your clothes still fit!). Your flight must be a long one, oh well, a perfect time to sleep! :)

Soonie - I'm not surprised you're busy, with 6 to worry about! Must be constantly on the go in your house. Good for you - saying no to the formula - when you're tired and rushed off your feet it could easily be tempting but to be honest although the actual feed itself would probably be faster (and I suppose anyone else could do it, freeing up time for you), by the time you factor in making up the feed, sterilising, heating up bottles, it probably isn't any faster. And breastmilk does seem to be the ultimate convenience food ... just pop one of the girls out and you're ready to go!

I'm sure it's bedtime, the cutest alarm clock in the world will be waking me up again in a few hours ... every time he eats it's like he thinks he's starving to a skeleton, not that he was only fed a couple of hours before. Typical boy - suppose he's getting in practice for his teenage years ... eat/sleep/eat/sleep ... :wacko:

Hi all

I've not been able to pop in for about 4 or 5 days and I've missed so much already.

Welcome to all the newbies!

And wow Marleys, I just love the pic of Andrew, he's adorable. :baby:

Hope everyone's keeping well. I had a lovely weekend with my Mum (she was visiting from the Midlands). The weather was fab, we did a bit of shopping, went walking, went sailing and went out to eat in the evenings. And bless her she's given us some money towards the nursery furniture. :kiss:

And I bought a little white babygro (sp?). My first piece of proper clothing, other than scratch mitts. I nearly cried in the shop again though. I keep coming over all emotional, it's so embarrassing and totally out of character. Why does this keep happening to me?? Aghhh!

Meerkat - glad you had a nice weekend, sounds relaxing, if busy! And as for the emotions, the bad news is that it only gets worse once LO gets here. For the first couple of weeks I'd never felt as fragile in my life. :cry: Getting better now, but damn those hormones!! Congrats on the babygro though, feels good to buy something eh? :thumbup:

I was thinking we've a few folks MIA here, hope everything's OK ... Pie, ellie, everyone else ... :hugs:

Marleys double 'aww' that is just so lovely bet you both loved your cuddle :cloud9:

Meercat IKWYM about being all emo, it only gets worse from here on in lol!

Went to the breastfeeding support group today and met a couple of nice girls, one seemed about my age and has invited me to a group on Friday, she has a boy who is 7 months and i am meeting the other one again tomorrow at a group near me, her little girl is 7 weeks, am so pleased i was brave and went! :)

Pants i lost half my post while editing - typing one handed is a nightmare!

Ava and soon2be it is sooo hard getting any other jobs done isn't it? mind you i agree bf is the best use of my time!

franny :rofl: keep the tights, you will be filling them before you know it!

i agree bf is the best use of my time!

Funny, I think Finlay agrees too! LOL!

We had a "disturbed" night with Finlay, wakening a lot for feeds and not settling, and at 5:45am, I took him into bed with us. He fell asleep right away, and when he woke up, I fed him lying down, it was lazy but really good! Think I will be doing that more often from now on, we have a king size bed so plenty of space. Don't think we'll be co-sleeping as such, just for short spells when he won't settle. He certainly seemed to enjoy being in bed with Mum and Dad :)

We had a disturbed night too, Myles is such a noisy sleeper and i sleep very light so we were awake most of the night after one thirty when i fed him! I started co-sleeping a bit but mil and mum put me off by saying it as dangerous - really annoyed me cos i had thought it was a good idea but now the seed of doubt is there...:(

Marleys - your post gave me goose bumps. I'm so pleased that things are working out and I can't even imagine what a wonderful moment that must have been for you.

Gol - good on ya for being brave and going somewhere new. I went to aqua aerobics tonight and met a woman who was 19 weeks pregnant and didn't really have any other friends with kids, just like me! We live about 8 miles apart so will swap numbers next week. I'm so excited that I have made a pregnant buddy who lives nearby!

Off to a wedding tomorrow night in my new dress and boots - will perhaps not wear the tights!

Gol - I know what you mean about the seed of doubt which is why we're not going for it wholesale either. Quite sad because the short time we did it was fab. :( Probably more likely to be the early morning feed of around 5-6am that we'll do it, because we're not deep sleeping then, and I can always stay awake (or doze) until hubby gets up at 7, then Finlay and I have the bed to ourselves, and Finlay can have Dad's side :) The feeding part was just so easy and comfortable, better than having to sit up when I'm all groggy!

Ava,Gol, thats a shame, I co slept with the first three and by the time I got to # 3 I didnt even buy a new cot mattress, I knew he would be in my bed from day 1, it was fine, no problems at all, the only reason we didnt then do it for # 4,5 and now 6 is that its quite hard to get them out of your bed when they are a bit older, lol. I think if youre happy with it then its ok, like you Gol Im a light sleeper so I knew it would be OK safety wise, also Im not the kind of person who likes to sleep snuggled up with another person and neither is my hubby so any contact would wake us both anyway, and like you Ava we have a huuuge bed. Anyway thats the case for the defence,lol.

Franny hope you enjoy the wedding, not wearing ya nora batty tights, Im disappointed,lol.

bf lying down is the best thing. my son was awful at it and couldnt latch on so had 2 get up 2 feed it but my daughter fed like a dream. was the best thing 4 every1 as she was a TERRIBLE sleeper!!!

Hello Ladies - I'm back!!!
All the hours of my day are taken up with my little lady who has a 6th sense of knowing when i'm trying to check email etc etc. Chloe is 4 weeks today - So 4 weeks later I actually have 10 mins to myself while she sleeps.... so i'm typing quickly!!

Congrats Soon2be and Marley on your new arrivals - what names, size etc - I've just had a quick read through, hope you are doing well and babies are thiving.

Chloe is doing well gaining weight - should be 8lbs today. She is a HUNGRY baby - feeding every 2 hrs - so I'm constantly feeding! Night time is hard as she likes to stay awake between feeds, though we had a good night last night - slept between feeds and had 4hrs between - success!

I'm BF and I'm finding it really hard, and it still hurts, Health visitor is helping me out and is very supportive, though DH and my mum constantly tell me to give it up and bottle feed, but I want to keep trying.

Gol and AVA - sounds like your little men are doing well, hope you are enjoying motherhood!

Chloe smiled at me yesterday and today - proper smile not just practice smile - so cute!

Will try to read back on posts and will try to log on a bit more.

Hope you are all well xxx

Congratulations Tillymum! Chloe is beautiful! It sounds like you are busy though! I am really enjoying my last few weeks of freedom before I meet my LO. Although I can't wait to meet him/her!

Good news everyone - I got word yesterday that I have got my job!! Such a relief! I am on study leave for the rest of the month, then will be back in work for 2 weeks, then start maternity leave!! Can't imagine how much work I will be able to get done in two weeks at eight and a half months pregnant, but not to worry!! I should be off till next September including unpaid leave and holidays, so I am over the moon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->