'Older Mums' buddies thread!

i'm glad 2 hear that u r happy abt your new job. i worked til the end of my pregnancies. i stopped the day b4 due date with dylan and a week b4 with erin. was really hard going as am a first school teacher! hope they don't work you 2 hard polaris!

i'm glad 2 hear that u r happy abt your new job. i worked til the end of my pregnancies. i stopped the day b4 due date with dylan and a week b4 with erin. was really hard going as am a first school teacher! hope they don't work you 2 hard polaris!

Thanks, I hope not too!! I am hoping it will be mainly introductions to the team and doing some background reading! There's not too much I can really do in a couple of weeks anyway, as it wouldn't be appropriate to take on clients. I am anticipating that it will be tough going back to work for the couple of weeks, especially because I will have to commute for about an hour each way. I will be exhausted! But it will be worth it because it means that I will get proper maternity leave and so I will also be able to afford to take my unpaid leave. We were really worried how we would cope financially with the mortgage if I didn't get the job, so it is truly a great relief!

Its so nice to read such great news!!
Tillymum, wow she is a lovely baby, I get the "why dont you give her a bottle" line too from my family, Im with you, keep at it, its worth it in the long run, many many congratulations, she is a real cutie. My little girl is Holly and she weighed 8lb 14 at birth, lost some and is now gaining weight well, she likes to "play" at night too!! I am yet to post a pic of her, but its on my ever growing to do list, lol.

Polaris, That is a relief! Im so pleased its working out for you, and now with only 2 weeks till mat leave you can really start to enjoy yourself without all the worry.

Congrats Soon2be and Marley on your new arrivals - what names, size etc - I've just had a quick read through, hope you are doing well and babies are thiving.

Hi Tilly - Chloe looks & sounds lovely! Now what have you missed ...

In my case, a very premature baby and emergency c/section! Andrew is 4wks 1day, and is doing pretty well considering he made such an early appearance. He was 1lb 6oz when born, and today's weigh-in has him at 2lb 3oz. There's a thread in the B&B Premature forum with his progress and photos.

Polaris - great news on the job :happydance:

Wow ladies I'm loving all the pics. What beautiful babies you've all been making. I spend a lot of time at the moment wondering what mine will look like. I keep dreaming it's going to be a mini version of DH's Dad! I'm scared!

Congrats on the job news Pol, that must be a huuuge wieght off your mind. :hugs:

Have a great weekend all x

Wow ladies I'm loving all the pics. What beautiful babies you've all been making. I spend a lot of time at the moment wondering what mine will look like. I keep dreaming it's going to be a mini version of DH's Dad! I'm scared!

x

PMSL :haha:

Polaris - fantastic news on the job! It must be a huge relief. My commute each way is between 45mis-1 hour. I actually quite enjoy it now. I'm about to get an ipod docker for the car so that I can download interesting podcasts to listen to in the car. I've been thinking about getting some audio books too. I like the commute nearer Christmas when I can listen to all the Christmassy songs - puts me in a good festive mood (but this year no mulled wine when I get home !:nope:

Marleys - Andrew is doing SO well, that's great :happydance:

My OH has booked three days in Rome at the end of October. Our last holiday as a twosome! Really looking forward to some good sightseeing, some fantastic food and some quality time. Feel very fortunate right now :cloud9:

Hope everyone else is well - have a lovely weekend! xx:kiss:

Tilly - your daughter is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations xx

Just wanted to wish all you ''oldies'' out there lots of luck and also so far I havnt been mistaken for my babies grandma - so if that's been a worry, then don't :haha:

Had a laugh at that post, can anyone remember their dads drinking beer that had girls in bikinis on?
It's funny the daft thinghs that you remember, although i never ate raw sausages, but i can remember when cat food was like mince consistency and our cat actually would eat his food and not go off it, which was handy as you only had kit-e-kat and whiskas- unlike today they have too much choice and you throw it out!
We were also satisfied to go on picnics with our friends and share a packet of polos, and that was it! happy Days....

Morning ladies!

Andrew is doing fine (swings & roundabouts with the cPap) and has put on another 3-4 ounces in 4 days! He's now 2lb 7oz, which is really good going :D

Marleys - fantastic news about Andrew. He's doing so well. Keep at it Andrew!

I have my 20 week scan a week tomorrow although everyone keeps asking me how much longer I've got and when they find out I'm only half way they ask if it's twins. I don't know why it's so big it just bloody is! Thankfully, there are a few women at work who have come up to me and said that they were big really quickly and then they slowed down so I am really hoping that is me because I feel a little bit like the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters!

Have a good week everyone! xx

Look on the bright side Franny - you'll get a decent amount of wear out of any maternity clothes if you need them for 20 weeks yet, rather than not needing them until the last couple of weeks and then wondering why you spent so much money on them :rofl:

Have fun at your scan, are you going to find out the flavour?

That really is good going Marleys! Obviously likes his grub, always a good sign! :)

Here's a good article about pre-term births, and causes ... interesting stuff. Talks about high BP, diabetes, "older" mums etc.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8266617.stm

Yes, I saw this in the paper. I particularly like:

A rise in the average age of women becoming pregnant was not found to have affected the incidence of premature births.
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Andrew was premature due to an obscure placenta problem, I need to find out whether it's likely to recur if we have a second child. But I'm glad they decided to carry out a "pre-planned c/section" even if it was only planned 6 hours ahead of being carried out!

Did they do any further tests on the placenta after birth Marleys? They took mine away and said they'd test it and it would take 6 weeks, but I never heard anything more and I am quite curious.

I think they do some tests on all placentas cause when Holly was born the doc came to me afterwards and started telling me about Ph levels in the cord :shrug: I didnt ( and still dont) have a clue what she was talking about, LOL.

Did they do any further tests on the placenta after birth Marleys? They took mine away and said they'd test it and it would take 6 weeks, but I never heard anything more and I am quite curious.
I know that the research team wanted to get blood samples from both the placenta & the cord, and managed neither - not sure what happened with the placenta, but they said that by the time they got Andrew out, there was virtually no blood in the cord (eeek!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->