'Older Mums' buddies thread!

That's typical really, we either don't get the information at all or get it but don't have it explained. Sounds about right. LOL.

Wish us luck today, Finlay has his first set of jabs (and of course his Wednesday weigh-in). Hope he doesn't cry too much, I find it really hard to hear him cry, even when hubby is changing his nappy!!! :dohh:

:hugs: for the jabs, not nice but neither are the illnesses (thats what i TRY to tell myself anyway!!) Some babies dont seem to bother about jabs so I hope he is one of those.

Franny - Rome sounds wonderful, I'm very jealous. You enjoy it! How was your scan?

Ava - Poor Finlay hope he's a brave little soldier with the nasty jabs today bless.

Marley - Andrew seems to be doing so well. He is a day older than Chloe the little gem.

Gol - Myles is such a cutie, I'd love to give him a cuddle :)

Franny - Good luck with your scan, it's amazing to see so much detail in the 20 wk scan, Will you be finding out the sex?

Ava- hope Finlay is ok with the injections.

My aim today is to actually make it out of the house for a walk! It's like organizing a mammoth task just for 30mins of fresh air!
Got to go Chloe is hungry!

Well the jabs went fine, he cried (real tears as well, which was horrible!) but was fine as soon as it was over and is now snoozing in Dad's arms. As for the weigh in, he's now 9lb 2 1/2oz, which is an increase of 11oz and he has also doubled his birthweight :happydance:

Tilly - I know what you mean, it's a major expedition just going to the shop for a paper!!!

Ava - glad jabs went ok. It must be hard hearing your LO cry but glad it's all good now and he's doing well x

Tilly - hope you make it out for a walk today! Weather brightening up here in the north so might do the same (bit easier for me tho!)

Regarding our scan, I really don't want to find out but OH would like to. A friend of mine had her scan the other day and said it was obvious! I'm going to tell the sonographer straight off that I don't want to know. Having said that, will I be able to resist in the heat of the moment? Eeek! I'm trying not to think about it as I count down the days until next Tuesday. I've not felt much movement for the past few days but apparently this is normal around this stage so I'm not worrying too much. I've more to worry about my bloody year 9 class! I've got two trainees in with me and the past two lessons I've had to rollock the class which I NEVER have to do and the lesson's been a bit shabby, not my usual polished standard! So tonight I am rearranging seating plans and heavily differentiating my lesson plans for the nutters. Just think, one day a teacher could be saying the same thing about my LO...aahhh...!

hellooo everyone - I havent been on this thread for ages - feeling pretty grotty recently. Midwife tells me a combo of age and a first time multiple pregnacy is going to be rough lol THANKS!!!! Fynn is laying right on my hip so causing shooting pains all down my legs OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!

I heard their heartbeats today and apparently they are both big and active hehehe fabulous

You babies are sooo beautiful photos make me cry!!!!!

GO ANDREW - what a little trooper!!!

Glad the jabs went ok Ava - must be awful to hear him cry

Yay for the Job Polaris what a weight off!!

Tilly - did you get out for your walk?

Regarding our scan, I really don't want to find out but OH would like to. A friend of mine had her scan the other day and said it was obvious! I'm going to tell the sonographer straight off that I don't want to know.

I didnt think it was obvious until the sonographer pointed out their bits and even then on one of them I couldnt see what she was referring to lol so I think you will be fine.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening am off for a snooze now lol xxxxxxxxx

Franny - am sure they won't be saying that about our ones! I work in a school - not a teacher though! - and I think most people don't have a clue what their darling LOs are really like, but ours won't be like them ;)

Vicky - I had a snooze too, hubby had a half day so was around to watch Finlay, was bliss. Enjoy!

Tillymum, I find it hard to get out, today I had to go out so I BF in the car, and even then we had the accompanying screams in Tesco, some lady said "oohhh someones hungry" I felt so angry, like I wasnt looking after her.
Ava Im glad the jabs were OK
Franny, I never found the "bits" that obvious to be honest and I was looking, I could never be sure even when it turned out I was right. Your bit about your year 9s made me cringe, I have one of those (a year 9 daughter) and I dread to think what she is like in school, Im sorry!!!!
Vicky your MW sounds like mine was, I called her "the prophet of doom" she never had anything positive to say, lol, she was absolutely great though, just cautious and always looking for trouble. I know there cant be lots of room in there but hopefully Fynn will move a bit to take the pressure off your poor hips.
All you b*ggers getting snoozes, stop yer bragging, its not nice, lol.

Hi again.. have been following the thread as an 'oldy' but not really had anything interesting to say as yet so just been enjoying the updates on your babies and your pregnancies!!

I do want to ask some advice though if I can. I had the results back from my Nuchal scan and bloods from my 12 week scan - I didnt hear anything all last week so when they phoned on Monday it was a bit of a shock to be told I am at higher risk of 1-50.. My age alone would have made me 1-300... We went in today to discuss options and were given the opportunity of a CVS - but when it came to the crunch and we saw baby on scan we couldnt go through with it - the risk is just too much for us. Just wondered if anyone could offer any advice or point me in the direction of trying to make sense of the results - apparently all were skewed, even the nuchal fold is identified as slightly higher, which suprised me as the scan looks so perfect...

I am so much happier today after two days off hell, trying to make a decision about risking baby for the CVS, and am actually feeling less pessimistic about the results than I was initially - what will be will be as far as I am concerned now...

Emma x

Hi there Emma,

I hold the current record for a bad statistic on Downs probability - my age put me at a 1 in 100 chance; my blood test increased that to 1 in 5 !!!!

We were offered an amniocentesis but decided not to have any definitive test - it would not have made a difference to us, we would still love our baby regardless (a statement which got us much praise on B&B!). Without sounding scary, there are so many other potential problems that a baby could have, testing for just one or two didn't make sense. I briefly read through the information on the DSA website and would recommend this if you want to know more.

My partner took the very positive outlook of reversing the statistical result to be a 4 in 5 chance of having a baby without Downs, which helped keep our spirits up.

As a result of a different problem (placenta), we had additional u/sound scans. I did ask if they could see any "soft markers" for Downs at these scans, and the only indications were IUGR and a short Femur Length. My baby has since been tested from Downs (he's in SCBU) with a clear result. My consultant commented yesterday that all his IUGR babies showed a short FL and turned out not to have Downs, so his research is going to emphasise that FL cannot be used as a soft marker for Downs when IUGR is present.

:hug:

Have a read around on B&B - there were a couple of good threads this summer about people with high Downs stats making their decisions for/against further testing, including a harrowing one about a short notice amnio that was bodged and required a second visit.

Hi emx, You have probably already had the best and most experience related response (marleysgirl), but to add my sixth penneth, I too didnt test, I didnt have the bloods even cause I was worried that they would give me a scary stat, I too felt that I could never terminate my baby so it didnt matter what they said, and I think that is the most important thing, if you feel you would need to terminate a pregnancy on the strength of the results then you need the test, sounds like you already made that decision though, good for you!! Like Marleys husband said, you are more likely to not have a baby with problems than to have one with the problems, and at 1 in 50 you are waaay more likely to be OK than not.

Another way to see it might be (again Marleys got here first!!) that there are lots of problems that baby could have, you have chosen to have your baby in the face of these, I have two Autistic sons and a daughter with ADD, they cannot test for Autism/Add and even if they could I wouldnt be interested, I see disabilities as differences, my children have abilities too, everyone does.

Thanks so much - I will have a look at the DSA website just for a bit of information, its not something I intend to become obsessed about because as you say - there are other potential issues out there and having had two days of stress and seeing the result on my pregnant body (lost weight, ulcers in mouth, stress spots etc) I realise that actually the healthiest start I can give my baby is to be happy, healthy and relaxed...

In terms of the tests - in retrospect I wish I had never had the screening test, I have had this converstion with my sister who said 'I told you not to' but actually - because they are all offered as standard in my area and in the naivety of my first pregnancy - they just happened really... becasue of my age I think sadly.. when I went to my 12 weeks scan, my letter had 'nuchal' printed in bold at the footer of the letter - and the receptionist said 'you having a nuchal today?' - I said yes because I was caught in the moment of the first scan and thought that was normal... I certainly wouldnt have the screening if I have future pregnancies..

It is nice to hear that someone has had a worse 'risk' thrust upon them - and I did actually speak to someone yesterday who told me that they know of two people - 1 of whom was given a 1-3500 risk and had a gorgeous little girl with downs and another with a risk of 1-5 who had a healthy son...

As the midwife at the hospital put it 'unfortunately this is the result of modern medicine, to sometimes be given more information than is healthy to know'... My mum summed it up by saying 'when we were pregnant, we had none of this and were happy with what we were given at the end'

Thanks Marleysgirl, I will definitley keep in mind what you have said and keep your partners philosophy in the forefront of any discussion... xx

As the midwife at the hospital put it 'unfortunately this is the result of modern medicine, to sometimes be given more information than is healthy to know'...

And Google is not your friend!!!

My mum summed it up by saying 'when we were pregnant, we had none of this and were happy with what we were given at the end'

I heard this too. Now all I hear is "When xyz was born, we didn't have incubators & special care, we just wrapped them in cottonwool and put them in a glass jar ................." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ive just read my thread again and realised I put 'it nice to know someone had worse results' - god I didnt mean that to sound like that! I meant reassuring to know and that things were ok! My head is a bit cotton wooly this week!!

Yes - mums and their wisdom - my mum sailed the Atlantic when she was pregnant with me, then spent two months in an African Hospital with complications before I was born... so can 'trump' any bad experience I have!! Its all meant as reassurance I think!!

I havent googled - I promise! Just looked briefly at the NDS site! Thanks again xx

Ive just read my thread again and realised I put 'it nice to know someone had worse results' - god I didnt mean that to sound like that! I meant reassuring to know and that things were ok! My head is a bit cotton wooly this week!!

I never even noticed, certainly didn't get offended. In a daft way, I was always quite proud (big headed) about having the worst blood-test result discussed on B&B in recent times!

Well it was quite a result Marleys 1 in 5!! It was also great that you had the courage to see past that and see that your baby was still likely to be fine, and he is obviously more than fine, Ive seen the pics!

Just HAD to share this little bit of information. I CAN DRIVE AGAIN YAAAAY, I was getting stir crazy so I rang my insurers and they said I had to get the OK from my doctor then they would be happy to insure me, all done and Im back on the road (you have been warned, LOL)

It just goes to show there are lies, damn lies and statistics. :thumbup:

Thanks for the warning soonie, duly noted LOL. Great feeling to be out and about again, eh? I was so fed up not driving that I was even excited to drive myself to Tesco :dohh: That's a pretty poor state of affairs by anyone's standards :rofl:

I'm jealous - I'm hoping to be given permission to drive again next Weds (exactly 6 wks) but I suspect it depends on how my wound is healing by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->