'Older Mums' buddies thread!

well i can tell ya, its a completely different experience being an "older" mum!

i was 20 when i had my first and could still manage to have LATE nights out and wake up rearing to go with a 1 year old jumping on my head, now if im not in bed by 11pm everynight im a blubbering wreck the next day :haha:
I'm starting from that point - the 11pm bedtimes - so it's going to be even worse for me when I get Andrew home :rofl: I think I'll just have to stay in bed all the time!

Posted this in my Premie thread, but it's relevant to here too as you were all with me along the way ...

Yesterday I had my 6wk post-natal appointment and discussion with the consultant who runs the Placenta Clinic here ...

The problems I had with my abnormal bloodflow into the placenta, resulting in Andrew's IUGR and premature delivery, are likely to recur. He doesn't think they'd be as bad a second time, plus they would go for a high level of monitoring (doppler scan @ 11 weeks and take it from there), and insist on screening if appropriate.

He recommends we wait at least a year before trying to give the c/section time to recover, and also to see whether Andrew has any difficulties resulting from his premie birth and cranial bleed. He reckons there would be no problem fertility-wise with waiting, as I fell pregnant so soon this time round.

My OH was there when we were told this, he's keen on a second child, but we haven't actually discussed the consultant's advice yet. My worries would be around needing the higher level of care, having a premie and then baby having a protracted SCBU stay, all whilst having a toddler (Andrew) to take care of.

Hey there ladies!

I'm sneeking some time on the computer while Chloe sleeps! Though my ass is firmly planted on this chair and I won't be moving for a while as I hurt my back lifting the pram out of the car on tuesday and now have awful sciatica pains in my back and leg and moving/walking is soooo painful!! DH is telling me I'm now not 'allowed' now to lift the pram ...not sure how that is going to work and we're not buying a new pram! However it does get me off nappy duty so every cloud...:winkwink:!! luckily DH works upstairs from home so he's our slave right now heh heh!!

Marley - Hope Andrew has more success BF next time and works out how to latch on! I'm so impressed with your dedicated approach to expressing for him. Staying in bed all day with baby would be just lovely .... except Chloe can't wait to get up and keep me awake:dohh:

Ellie - just seen you're in Caerphilly - I'm in Cardiff ... just down the road!

Welcome Nickip - I hear ya on the 11pm thing ... this lack of sleep is sooo hard, I'm sure I would have coped better younger!! but hey if I looked wrecked that is the least of my worries right now!

Meerkat - hope you feel better soon, I worried alot about swine flu when I was pregnant and had a 'quarantine zone' around my desk .... not that anyone paid attention to it ... made me feel better!

Franny - yay for team yellow and sounds like an amazing scan, I'm glad we stayed on team yellow too as it was such a lovely surprise to hear we had a girl when we were convinced she was a boy all along, so much so DH still referred to her as he for the first few hours!

Just on the older mum thing .... when I was in hospital being induced, the girl in the bed next to me was 17 and her mum and I got chatting - she was 34 and about to become a gran .... I'm 37 having my 1st and felt flippin ancient beside her! though wouldn't change it for the world!

Marleys - Sorry to hear you may have the placenta problems again with future pregnancies. But I also think that you and your hubby are such positive people and I'm sure you'll work something out hon when the time comes. You'd probably be more prepared than you realise. :hugs:

Tilly - Hi you, nice to see you again. Made me laugh what you said about the granny being younger than you. I know just what you mean. But I asked my MW the other day what she thought to having a baby at 40 and she said I wouldn't worry you won't look out of place at the school gates. :haha: She had her first baby at 38 so she must know what she's on about. I guess we'll see!!

No joy with the BF again tonight - he was too sleepy. I'm going to keep trying, but if I have no luck, then I might ask the hospital to miss a feed and try to ensure he's hungry.

a gran at 34 :shock:

im 34 omg that makes me feel oooooold!!!!

Marleys - keep us posted on the BF. I suppose when they're feeding him every 2 hours he maybe doesn't get hungry the same?

Tilly - I second Nikki, a gran at 34 OMG! I turn 36 in a few weeks, I feel ancient now LOL

I'm quite excited ... we're taking Finlay swimming tomorrow, really looking forward to it. I figure the sooner he gets into the water the better, no point waiting. Should be fun :)

Hi everyone,

just got back from midwife appointment and as I thought baby is breech. She couldn't tell the position by feeling, so she happened to have the scanner in the room so she did a quick scan and he/she is definitely the wrong way round. She actually thinks that he/she might have been breech all along as she says that it's very hard to tell the position by feeling it because of the particular way baby is lying, the only way that she could tell was with the scanner.

I have a disagreement about dates with my midwife, so she reckons that I am 36 weeks now (I think I am only 35 weeks). She has booked me in to the breech clinic next Friday where they will try to turn baby. If not successful, then they will book a C-section for 39 weeks by their dates, which is only 38 weeks by my dates, so probably around about 22nd October. Yikes! Baby could be here a lot sooner than I was expecting. I really hope not, keep your fingers crossed for me that baby either turns round of his/her own accord or else that they can successfully turn baby next week. I really really don't want a c-section!

Going to be crawling round on all fours for the week!

marleys - good luck with the BF, it's not as easy as they make it out 2 be is it!!!

polaris - i hope baby turns soon!!!

i am suffering from morning sickness and exhaustion. i cant wait 4 the 1st tri 2 b over! hope every1 is well xxx

I would not have wanted to be a gran at 34! Thankfully,I don't have to worry about that since I'm 36 and this is my 1st.

Marleys - FX'd you get the BFing worked out soon.

polaris i dont know it this helps but i know there is some kind of acupuncture you can have done that turns a breech baby!

believe it or not its something to do with your big toe :wacko:

i also seen on a pregnancy programme a midwife says it works like in like 99% of time!!!

maybe something you can try if your that desperate not to have a c-section :thumbup:

polaris i dont know it this helps but i know there is some kind of acupuncture you can have done that turns a breech baby!

believe it or not its something to do with your big toe :wacko:

i also seen on a pregnancy programme a midwife says it works like in like 99% of time!!!

maybe something you can try if your that desperate not to have a c-section :thumbup:

Thanks, I was thinking that I had heard about this somewhere. There is actually a really good Chinese medicine shop not too far from me (I've been to them before for massage and found them excellent) and I know they specialize in acupuncture, so I was thinking that I might give them a ring and see what they would advise.

good luck polaris. anything is worth a shot 2 not hacve 2 go thru a c section as far as i'm concerned.

Hello all and welcome to the newcomers! It's great being old - just watched X Factor and the oldies category is by far the best!!

Polaris - hope you manage to turn baby!

Marleys - sorry bf didn't work out first time. Hope it went better for you today.

Meerkat - I've had a bugger of a cold for the past week; coincided with my backache. My remedy was lots of orange squash and sleep. Still not feeling great but hope your infection clears up soon xxx

Ellie - any decision on your GD test?

No news with me apart from recovering from my cold - hope I'm more with it next week!

Hello all and welcome to the newcomers! It's great being old - just watched X Factor and the oldies category is by far the best!!

Polaris - hope you manage to turn baby!

Marleys - sorry bf didn't work out first time. Hope it went better for you today.

Meerkat - I've had a bugger of a cold for the past week; coincided with my backache. My remedy was lots of orange squash and sleep. Still not feeling great but hope your infection clears up soon xxx

Ellie - any decision on your GD test?

No news with me apart from recovering from my cold - hope I'm more with it next week!

i agree the over 25's are the best!!! i am also getting over a cold, seems 2 take ages when u r pregnant! have also got 2 little ones 2 run after which means no rest!!!

Hi all ...

Got a surprise when I phoned (after a long lie-in) this morning to check on Andrew's progress - he'd still not been put back on Cpap since 6am yesterday morning! That was 28 hours at that point ... 33 hours by the time we left him this afternoon, and still going strong just on his nasal cannula!

And he'd been dressed in a cute babygro with "I love Daddy" all over it.

And they've switched him to a nasal gastric tube - nobody really said why, but I'm hoping it's so that they can start cup-feeding him, and to give him more of a chance to breast-feed! Which I didn't try today, I didn't want to disturb him when he was so many hours off Cpap, I didn't want to stress him out more! Save it for tomorrow.

That's brilliant news about Andrew. I'm so delighted that he is doing so well. Thanks for keeping us updated, it's so lovely to hear about his progress!

Fantastic news! Good work Andrew :thumbup:

What kind of tube was he fed with before? And the babygro sounds cute, hope you've got a picture!!

Great news about Andrew, Marleys! Keep at it laddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->