• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

'Older Mums' buddies thread!

Hi Janey,
you're just a few weeks ahead of me. I'm 34 and this is my first baby too. Like you say it's exciting but also scary. I feel like because I'm in my thirties people will expect me to know what I'm doing, when actually I won't have a clue!! How are you enjoying the pregnancy so far?

Hi & welcome Janey, don't worry about the thread title saying "November", I think this has ended up as a general "Older Mums" buddy thread (or perhaps we should start another?)

Ellie could change the title of the thread to older mummies if she goes on advanced edit :)

Happy Sunday everyone :)

Polaris - hope your thesis is going well, a nice boost getting those extra couple of days to submit :) As for the sickness and spots - :hugs:. I think these hormonal spurts can come at any time, I haven't had a breakout in a few weeks but I was getting them up till the mid twenties and going by the mood swings am still getting them LOL. The joys, the joys .. :dohh:

Marleysgirl - sorry to hear about your OH. Hopefully something will come up for him soon, will keep my fingers crossed for you :hugs:

Golcarlilly - congrats on 3rd tri, and as of today I'm joining you! Yay! :happydance:

Janey - hi and welcome! :D This thread is lovely, and it's always nice to see a new face :)

In our news, we're deciding between two sets of nursery furniture, I think we're going for a mamas and papas set, hopefully we can order this week. If not that one, we'll be going for an M&S one, which is in a sale. We've started to prepare the room, have cleared out stuff but still have work to do - I think today we'll finish up clearing the room, then we can get on to touching up the paint, getting a new carpet etc. Slowly realising that time is speeding up and we've still got a way to go ... eek!!

We're going to a nursery open day today, a new one has been built not far from us so would be ideal, so we're going to see what it's like. Hopefully it will be ok.

Right better move myself and go and get dressed ... I'm sitting watching Ocean's 13 so it's a bit of a thought to switch it off I must admit ;)

Good Morning Ava :D

Thank goodness you mentioned not having organised the nursery yet - I was wondering at what stage I should start worrying about this, but as I'm more than 10 weeks behind you, I've got a little time yet!

Need to get the OH organised this week - signing on, jobhunting etc. He's not looking forward to the prospect, it's a male pride thing.

Off to Asda shortly - having finally seen a midwife, I've got my Bounty book so I can go and collect the first Bounty pack! (small things excite me)

Hey guys!
Great to see everyone is doing well and getting things organised ... marleysgirl hope something comes up for your OH soon, I'm sure it will.
I'll have a go at editing the title now - aargh technophobe !!!

did it work ?

is everyone happy with the title or should it say something like over 30's mums or something? what do people think?

Thanks Ellie, that did work - so you're not a technophobe!

I think the phrase "older mums" is probably descriptive enough, there's no need to put an age range, I think we all know who we are! At least they don't call us "geriatrics" any more!

oh and golcarlilly well done on 3rd tri :happydance: i can't wait!

polaris how you feeling now? i've been feeling okay for a week or more ... which worries me sometimes but i try to stay positive ... 12 week scan on thursday ... gulp

Thanks Ellie, that did work - so you're not a technophobe!

I think the phrase "older mums" is probably descriptive enough, there's no need to put an age range, I think we all know who we are! At least they don't call us "geriatrics" any more!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

They used to have an even worse term ... let me see if I can find it ...

"Elderly Prima Gravidas" is the medical term given to a woman over 30 or 35 (depending on the doctor) giving birth for the first time. It literally translates to "old first-time mum". However, it is a term that is quickly dating as more women are choosing to delay motherhood until later in life.

Isn't that horrible? What happened to mature?!

We're back from the open day and the nursery looked really good. It's custom built so the rooms are big, airy and suited exactly to purpose ... they have sensory rooms as well, and I think I could quite happily sleep in there myself! We'll check out others just to make sure we're happy but we really liked this one, let's just hope when the time comes there is still a space for our LO :)

Marleysgirl - It seems like we've suddenly realised that we're running out of time .. I get the feeling that when "do the turn" into the 30s it's going to go into light speed. What do you get in the Bounty pack? I think I'm going to rake around and join all the mother and baby clubs this afternoon, try and get my hands on some of those baby freebies :D

Ellie - good luck for Thursday, will be thinking of you and hoping all goes well :)

In my case, it wasn't "running out of time" - I met a new (and wonderful) partner, who changed my attitude to having children - I just consider us fortunate that I fell pregnant so soon after we decided we wanted to try, I had visions of having low fertility due to my age.

Right, my first Bounty pack has:

- money off vouchers from Asda (presumably this depends on where you collect the pack)
- various leaflets incl. Argos baby catalog
- sample of Fairy Non-Bio
- sample of de-caff Coke (small can)
- sachet of Ovaltine
- sample size Sudocrem
- Pampers intro pack of 1x newborn nappy, small pack of wipes, leaflets

Not much, but I was hoping for the Fairy sample as I have some eBay-purchased babygros that I want to wash!

wow - that sounds good - where do you get that? is that from signing up to a website?

aahhhh ... the indigestion / wind today is killing me ...... even swigging gaviscon doesnt seem to be helping .......... :cry: :cry:

Marleysgirl - I wasn't meaning my biological clock (I "did the turn" into 30s 5 years ago, more's the pity!!!) LOL .. but reading it back I can see that's what it looks like!! Must have had pregnant brain when I wrote it LOL. No what I meant was running out of time to get the nursery done, once we get into 30+ weeks, it's going to race ... :D

Know what you mean about feeling fortunate though, we decided to let "nature take it's course" and two weeks later, it had :rofl: so much for being 35 and thinking it'd take forever! I only have one ovary and tube as well, guess this LO was meant to be! :D Thank goodness we were preparing to try anyway and had been on the folic acid and conception vitamins for 6 months, I really didn't believe we'd get pregnant that quickly, it's amazing that we managed NOT to get pregnant for 16 years! :baby:

Oooh Ellie, are you on gaviscon already? have a sympathy (((hug))) ... i seem to be burping more, but that's all so far!

As regards the Bounty pack, my midwife gave me the Bounty "Pregnancy Information Pack" at my booking appointment. That had various leaflets and a diary, and inside the diary was a leaflet for the first Bounty goodybag "Mum To Be Essentials" which can be collected from Boots or Asda. Although you can sign up online, they won't send the voucher/pack out (presumably in case you're lying!), hence why the midwives give out the first pack. The website lists all the other packs you get - one in hospital, one for the new baby ... it's all a promo really, a chance for companies to get you to try their stuff.

Sorry for misunderstanding you Ava!!!

Hi girls

Ellie thanks for changing the title, we will prob get more new posters now so that will be great! I am so sick of taking gaviscon I need it whatever and whenever I eat anything!! I am going to ask my mw on Wed if I can have a prescription for some cos it's costing me a bomb! Best of luck for Thursday :hugs:

Ava congrats on 3rd tri I am so excited to be finally there! I am so panicky now though I just feel like you do that time is running out! We need to get the nursery re-plastered before we can start decorating it and I still need tons of baby stuff!

Marleysgirl, I love all the freebies you can get a mum and baby pack from Sainsburys free with Huggies and one from Lloyds pharmacy too. I love the baby sudocrem pot it is so cute and I swear by sudocrem for all ailments!

Oooooh, hello ladies, just discovered this thread!!! As I appear to be the 'oldest' mummy on BnB, I thought this might be an appropriate place to chat!!! :rofl:

How is everyone? I am really getting fed up now. My bump is SOOOOOOO heavy all of a sudden, he lies really far forward which makes it very difficult to walk/stand up etc, you know, all the things that we take for granted!!! I just want the next few weeks to hurry ap and go so I can start getting my old body back to normal!!!! In fact, I cant wait till he is here cos I reckon I will get more sleep than I do now, as I am up literally EVERY hour at night to pee cos of him lying so low, in fact I wonder if he has actually engaged.

Ok, rant and moan over. Hope you are all well!!!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->