Older mums thread?

golcarlilly

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
Hi, question to admins - any chance we could have a thread for older mums to be?

Dunno what you'd call older but I'd be interested....:)

Yeah, just somewhere us 'oldies' can get together really and discuss our pregancies - I am 39

It would divide the forum way too much ...I don't and can't see the need for this.

:D

I understand you could go on forever dividing and dividing so I get why you wouldnt want another one. I wonder though if its only like the teen mum section...no?? I suppose it's coz I've been a young mum and an older one too, I appreciate how different the two experiences were!

Thanks anyway tho mods :)

What age would you class an older Mum though?

Another thought was could it possibily offend? If you see what I mean :blush:

Do you think theres really much of a difference in experience etc I mean we couldn't have 3 tri sections etc Theres a couple of reasons behind the good of a teen section but as I've just woke up from a nap I'll shurrup because I could easily word it wrong and dig m yself a big hole :rofl:

I could perhaps see use for older pregnancy (but what age would you class as older) because getting pregnant when older can have unique questions; 'but mums are mums (aren't they?) no matter what age.

Pregnancy wise, isnt that what the pregnancy club is for? Everyone can post there, including teens.
And Mums, as SC says mums are mums no matter what age

Oh I agree Mum's are Mums but if teens have diiferent issues maybe older mums do too??? On the issue of what age I think you're right that you might offend trying to put a figure on it!!! I asked my MW if I was an older Mum (34) and she said not quite!!

Up until the 1980s doctors labelled pregnant women over 30 as 'geriatric mothers'. :shock: By 1990's the term 'elderly prima gravida' - older mum, first baby, was given to anyone over 35. Now most health authorities class an older mother as 37 - mine say 40 but it was 35 till recently.

I'm not pushing for a section as I think the Pregnancy Club is sufficient too but just saying if young mum's have different issues, I think logic says older ones do too. :)

Sorry to butt in here, but I am without doubt an 'older mum' at 41! Whilst it would be nice to have a separate forum, it's probably not at all necessary. On the subject of what age are you an 'older mum',surely you dont need to put an age limit on that? That's down to the individual. You arent going to get anyone under 35 considering themselves an older mum, I wouldnt have thought. And if anyone over that age doesnt consider themselves as older, then that's fine as well, they just wouldnt use the forum.

That's my thoughts anyway, hope they help a little?

Sorry to butt in here, but I am without doubt an 'older mum' at 41! Whilst it would be nice to have a separate forum, it's probably not at all necessary. On the subject of what age are you an 'older mum',surely you dont need to put an age limit on that? That's down to the individual. You arent going to get anyone under 35 considering themselves an older mum, I wouldnt have thought. And if anyone over that age doesnt consider themselves as older, then that's fine as well, they just wouldnt use the forum.

That's my thoughts anyway, hope they help a little?

I'm 34 and I do consider myself an older Mum this time! :) I was 19/20 with my first.

A forum just to remind us we're past it? :rofl: I'll pass :lol:

I'm 36 and if I got pg now I'm sure I could fit in 1st, 2nd & 3rd tri, but I do agree perhaps older mums have different issues, like more testing in pg, higher risk pg's, pg with perhaps older siblings. I for one found my last 2 childrens pg's alot harder than than my older children.

Up to admin though :D

I just feel that as a mum-to-be age 39 I do have different issues than someone the age I was when I had my DD (24) I don't feel that I don't fit it with the other forums but sometimes feel like I want to raise issues that would be of no concern to younger mums, I wondered why we could have a teen section but not an older one too but didn't want to push the issue - I love this forum too much to get into a dispute and get a name as a troublemaker:rofl:

Whatever you decide mods is fine by me, thought maybe I could just start a thread for older mums discussion instead of a whole section?

I just feel that as a mum-to-be age 39 I do have different issues than someone the age I was when I had my DD (24) I don't feel that I don't fit it with the other forums but sometimes feel like I want to raise issues that would be of no concern to younger mums, I wondered why we could have a teen section but not an older one too but didn't want to push the issue - I love this forum too much to get into a dispute and get a name as a troublemaker:rofl:

Whatever you decide mods is fine by me, thought maybe I could just start a thread for older mums discussion instead of a whole section?

Don't be daft, feedback is always welcome. As some of the older school BnB members will remember we've opened some sub-forums that have been a spectacular flop, either because there wasn't enough members of a certain demographic to keep it going, or members wheren't sure where to post (as it duplicated another forum). (I'm pretty sure also we purposely didn't open a teen mums forum so as not to segregate or make anyone feel feel like a better/worse mum because of age).

...but we'll keep our ear to the ground and definately open new forums as and when we have enough members to support them.

:)

A forum just to remind us we're past it? :rofl: I'll pass :lol:

I'm 36 and if I got pg now I'm sure I could fit in 1st, 2nd & 3rd tri, but I do agree perhaps older mums have different issues, like more testing in pg, higher risk pg's, pg with perhaps older siblings. I for one found my last 2 childrens pg's alot harder than than my older children.

Up to admin though :D

I agree with Mamafy. Being almost 39, I suppose I am officially an older mum, but most of the time I don't feel it. DH is only 28, so he keeps me feeling young. Although I am finding this pregnancy soooo hard, I haven't felt the need for a different section to voice my problems.

I can see why there is a need for a teen section though. They are a different species to us aren't they???? :rofl::rofl::rofl: (teen mums- I am joking there btw!!)

Don't be daft, feedback is always welcome. As some of the older school BnB members will remember we've opened some sub-forums that have been a spectacular flop, either because there wasn't enough members of a certain demographic to keep it going, or members wheren't sure where to post (as it duplicated another forum). (I'm pretty sure also we purposely didn't open a teen mums forum so as not to segregate or make anyone feel feel like a better/worse mum because of age).

...but we'll keep our ear to the ground and definately open new forums as and when we have enough members to support them.

:)

Thanks xx

I dont think I've been around long enough to have seen any flops but I do know when people ask and there's a perceived need, then the mods do respond - I dont doubt I wasnt the only one to ask for a single Mum's forum (even though I'm fortunate enough not to need it....well not right now any way :) ) and BnB were right on it and that seems to be a success!!! So thanks Wobs & SC for being open :) especially as it must cause you even more work!!:dohh: :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->