One Born Every Minute US is horrible!!

they all seem to have epidurals and all seem to kind of lay in the bed as comfortable and as calm as they could possibly ever be and then "oo i think i need to push" then you can see the pain ect where as with the UK version you see many of them in pain during labour and how contractions really are because they are screaming or yelling or showing signs of being somewhat uncomfortable and when they really cant take it they may have the epi but seems a lot more realistic and kind of more what i should be expecting labour to be like..

My midwife said they dont usually encourage epis at my hosp and you wont always get one because you need a midwife and the person who inserts the needle (forget his name) and also a midwife to be with you afterwards constantly which is obv very hard when the suite is busy and not many MW on shift.. US they seem to almost be encouraged and advised on the epi...

Or they just bully you into one.

https://myobsaidwhat.com/2011/07/23/you-know-youre-going-to-get-it-anyway/

I'm so disapointed. I love One born every minute and I've now watched two episodes of the US version. So far all I have seen are sections and woman lying on their backs with epidurals and their legs up. When they are about to start pushing lots of people with gowns and masks and big trollys of shiny implements (I'm a doctor and I don't know what they're all for!) rush in. Then after the baby comes out they take it away and spend ages cleaning it, poking and prodding it before the mother eventually gets to hold it. It is the most uninspiring program I've ever seen, I really feel that the nurses push hard for woman to take epidurals and it makes me so glad to be giving birth in the UK.

Most US births are in the hospital. Very few are even given the option of anything else. The doctors know what is best for us, you know. I am planning on a birthing center right now. Hopefully there won't be any complications that change that.

I'm so disapointed. I love One born every minute and I've now watched two episodes of the US version. So far all I have seen are sections and woman lying on their backs with epidurals and their legs up. When they are about to start pushing lots of people with gowns and masks and big trollys of shiny implements (I'm a doctor and I don't know what they're all for!) rush in. Then after the baby comes out they take it away and spend ages cleaning it, poking and prodding it before the mother eventually gets to hold it. It is the most uninspiring program I've ever seen, I really feel that the nurses push hard for woman to take epidurals and it makes me so glad to be giving birth in the UK.

Most US births are in the hospital. Very few are even given the option of anything else. The doctors know what is best for us, you know. I am planning on a birthing center right now. Hopefully there won't be any complications that change that.

Exactly. We US woman aren't really given any other options than hospital births. Over the past decade or so, homebirths have started making a comeback, but there's still a horrible stigma surrounding them. It's like if you DON'T have your baby in the hospital, then you're somehow endangering your baby's wellbeing. Go figure on that one... :shrug: We're told and tought that doctors are akin to gods - they know everything about everything and they know what's best in every situation. Don't trust your instincts, your instincts didn't go to an expensive cookie-cutter curricula college for 12 years. :growlmad: Sorry, bit a rant there...

i live in australia and envy the shows you bnb ladies talk about nothing in relation to pregnancy birth parenting is rarly rarly showed autralia seems to just play mass amounts of crime dramas and soaps. but i cringe at the thought of laying on my back giving birth i had 2 water births in the same bath with the same midwife tryed gas and air with my first because she was postirior but i gave birth both time upright leaning over the bath laying on my back seems so un natural and alien and painful i remember needing to lay down for the midwife to checkk how dialated i was and that was horrible. so i think if i was forced to lay on my back i know i would opt for a epidural because i know i would not cope giving birth on my back. like my labours were painful as gabrielle was postitior and noah took 50 mins to go from 3 cm dialated to out so both hurt alot in thier own ways but when i had to lay down for a moment on my back there was a whole new pain added to it

AHHHHHH!!! The joys of giving birth in the US!! We live in a country were our government controls every aspect of our lives, including how, and where we give birth. It is a sad state we are in. I cannot in the state I reside have a lay midwife attend my birth, from fear of legal action. It is very sad. Our media also sensationalizes EVERYTHING!! If you think that show is bad, you should see "I did'nt know I was pregnant!" THat one is horrible!!!

It's shows like "I didn't know I was pregnant" that make me hate being an American. Seriously? It's awful!!

Oh, and our Office is better!!! LOL!!

And even though we do give birth in hospitals, not all of us are on our backs, begging for an epi! LOL! I have had 1 birth full of interventions (it was my first), and 4 completely natural, drug free, where I call the shots. The next will be an unassisted home birth.

Oh wow, I am so glad I am not the only one who felt this way. The entire thing including the attitudes of some of the women giving birth were shocking. It made it out to be the most emotionless, cold, clinical experience ever.

I was fuming when a midwife asked one of the women if she wanted the baby on her chest after they were born and she screwed up her face and went 'ewwww, no thanks. clean him first' WTF is wrong with these people? GRRR!!!!

Yup it sure is! I wish they would to a homebirth version in the US!

Exactly. We US woman aren't really given any other options than hospital births. Over the past decade or so, homebirths have started making a comeback, but there's still a horrible stigma surrounding them. It's like if you DON'T have your baby in the hospital, then you're somehow endangering your baby's wellbeing. Go figure on that one... :shrug: We're told and tought that doctors are akin to gods - they know everything about everything and they know what's best in every situation. Don't trust your instincts, your instincts didn't go to an expensive cookie-cutter curricula college for 12 years. :growlmad: Sorry, bit a rant there...[/QUOTE]

I've had this said to me all the time when I've told people I had 2 birth centre births and a homebirth :growlmad: All the time I get "I/We don't want to risk it by going to JBC or even worse, having it at home." :growlmad: I would never willingly put mine or my babies' lives at risk but from the stories I've been told, you're putting their lives at risk by GOING to the main maternity hospital! How dare people insinuate that I've been neglectful, selfish and flippant by never having gone to the main maternity hospital :growlmad: :nope:

xx

I just watched Pregnant in America (I think). It's on Netflix if you have it. It was about the US system and how it endangers babies. You should watch it if you can. I think the website it www.pregnantinamerica.com (but I haven't checked it).

Well you've all gone and depressed me now. :cry: Not that it's YOUR fault. :haha:

This is something I've been fighting for awhile now. I was pregnant 2 years ago with my first and because I'm type II diabetic I was considered High Risk. Nobody would even TOUCH me to do a home birth nor would my gp even meet with me because it's up to the Perinatologist. We have only 1 in 14 county radius and lets' just say it's like a cattle farm.

Needless to say my first appointment when I was pregnant with my son and the male Dr. said He'd set me up for a C-Section (on the FIRST day) and would also do an amnio at 36 wks to check to see if baby's lungs were developed enough to take him at 37wks because diabetics have HUGE babies. Well that did it for me. I told him in NO WAY would I consent for a C-Section on the first day and had in fact planned for natural. It didn't go over very well but we agreed to disagree.

Needless to say I had Incompetent Cervix which caused me to lose a mucus plug and their nurse practitioner kept telling me I was fine even though I had HORRIFYING itching. Turns out that I had BV which wreaked havoc because there was no mucus plug protecting from bacteria anymore after my cervix had moved. I found out I was having a boy 2 days before I gave birth to him at 22wks. It was NATURAL without drugs. They kept trying to push drugs on me...morphine especially. Had I done that, I don't think my son would have been alive for the 25mins he was alive.

Fast forward to now and I have the female Dr. of the practice who helped me deliver and cried with me. She's the only one in the practice that I believe is good. Her older peers kept arguing with me in the early weeks when I was fighting for a stitch for IC. While they at least started 17P injections weekly to stop from PTL they kept telling me that there was no proof of IC and they would only treat me for PTL. I fought HARD to be monitored and finally they found I DO suffer from IC so a stitch was placed at 19wks and I continue the injections until wk 36.

I hired a doula because SO much control is taken away from me. I'm not allowed a home birth, they are quick to drug me, quick to give meds to start labor and ESPECIALLY quick to assume I'm going to have a big baby and thus are waiting to schedule the C-section and seem to think they won't let me get past 37wks.

My doula knows my agenda and she will fight for what I want as long as things are looking safe. I DO NOT want an epi. Luckily while I was having the stitch put in they gave me a spinal. It gave me a taste of what an epi would be like and I DON'T like NOT being able to feel from my waist down. One thing I also didn't like was having to lay in that awful bed while delivering my son. I want UP and MOVING. My doula will help me labor at home until I need to actually go in. THIS is of comfort to me.

A sadness I have that a few of you have brought up is that since I am diabetic and on insulin Nicu will cart my daughter off right away to be sure her sugars don't slip. We won't likely be able to bf'd right away or bond.

I have asked to meet with NICU staff so I can talk with them. Everyone at the office thought I was crazy but I want a plan in place and would RATHER they allow my daughter time on my belly to allow the cord to pulse and try to bf'd there. I'd LIKE them to bring what they need to the floor and do what absolutely HAS to get done right away in the room instead of taking her away.

I'm not sure how much pull I'll have with this, but I'm darn-well going to try!

This has REALLY depressed me as I've been fighting and advocating for myself and my daughter from the beginning. I'm REALLY tired and knowing that things are so fast-paced in the hospital I just want everyone to take a step back, BREATHE and let us bond for a few minutes.

My last experience at the hospital is that medical staff isn't all that familiar with natural birthing. They feel they have to stick their hands in everything and intervene with meds. I'm unsure how many have actually witnessed a natural birth. In fact, my husband who is an RN witnessed 3 births during his clinicals and all three were C-sections.

((SIGH)) I'm hoping that things will go smoothly and the way I'd like. Another issue I'm concerned about is that my daughter is breech and has been for the whole pregnancy. She just seems to like this position and has made it hard for all the sonograms. I'm almost 30wks on Sunday. So a concern I have is NO CHOICE because they won't allow breech births here...automatic C-sections.

This whole thing is a wait and see. But I do feel somewhat depressed that I don't have much input on the birth of my daughter. I AM fighting for what I'd like, but much of it depends on if I get a Dr. willing to work with me. If my Perinatologist I've chosen isn't working the night I go into labor...I have the other idiots from the practice and a choice of two midwives who aren't really natural-minded but take on the clinical beliefs. :wacko: :cry:

Just to say ....I'm living this and it's a load of crap! :cry:

Well you've all gone and depressed me now. :cry: Not that it's YOUR fault. :haha:

This is something I've been fighting for awhile now. I was pregnant 2 years ago with my first and because I'm type II diabetic I was considered High Risk. Nobody would even TOUCH me to do a home birth nor would my gp even meet with me because it's up to the Perinatologist. We have only 1 in 14 county radius and lets' just say it's like a cattle farm.

Needless to say my first appointment when I was pregnant with my son and the male Dr. said He'd set me up for a C-Section (on the FIRST day) and would also do an amnio at 36 wks to check to see if baby's lungs were developed enough to take him at 37wks because diabetics have HUGE babies. Well that did it for me. I told him in NO WAY would I consent for a C-Section on the first day and had in fact planned for natural. It didn't go over very well but we agreed to disagree.

Needless to say I had Incompetent Cervix which caused me to lose a mucus plug and their nurse practitioner kept telling me I was fine even though I had HORRIFYING itching. Turns out that I had BV which wreaked havoc because there was no mucus plug protecting from bacteria anymore after my cervix had moved. I found out I was having a boy 2 days before I gave birth to him at 22wks. It was NATURAL without drugs. They kept trying to push drugs on me...morphine especially. Had I done that, I don't think my son would have been alive for the 25mins he was alive.

Fast forward to now and I have the female Dr. of the practice who helped me deliver and cried with me. She's the only one in the practice that I believe is good. Her older peers kept arguing with me in the early weeks when I was fighting for a stitch for IC. While they at least started 17P injections weekly to stop from PTL they kept telling me that there was no proof of IC and they would only treat me for PTL. I fought HARD to be monitored and finally they found I DO suffer from IC so a stitch was placed at 19wks and I continue the injections until wk 36.

I hired a doula because SO much control is taken away from me. I'm not allowed a home birth, they are quick to drug me, quick to give meds to start labor and ESPECIALLY quick to assume I'm going to have a big baby and thus are waiting to schedule the C-section and seem to think they won't let me get past 37wks.

My doula knows my agenda and she will fight for what I want as long as things are looking safe. I DO NOT want an epi. Luckily while I was having the stitch put in they gave me a spinal. It gave me a taste of what an epi would be like and I DON'T like NOT being able to feel from my waist down. One thing I also didn't like was having to lay in that awful bed while delivering my son. I want UP and MOVING. My doula will help me labor at home until I need to actually go in. THIS is of comfort to me.

A sadness I have that a few of you have brought up is that since I am diabetic and on insulin Nicu will cart my daughter off right away to be sure her sugars don't slip. We won't likely be able to bf'd right away or bond.

I have asked to meet with NICU staff so I can talk with them. Everyone at the office thought I was crazy but I want a plan in place and would RATHER they allow my daughter time on my belly to allow the cord to pulse and try to bf'd there. I'd LIKE them to bring what they need to the floor and do what absolutely HAS to get done right away in the room instead of taking her away.

I'm not sure how much pull I'll have with this, but I'm darn-well going to try!

This has REALLY depressed me as I've been fighting and advocating for myself and my daughter from the beginning. I'm REALLY tired and knowing that things are so fast-paced in the hospital I just want everyone to take a step back, BREATHE and let us bond for a few minutes.

My last experience at the hospital is that medical staff isn't all that familiar with natural birthing. They feel they have to stick their hands in everything and intervene with meds. I'm unsure how many have actually witnessed a natural birth. In fact, my husband who is an RN witnessed 3 births during his clinicals and all three were C-sections.

((SIGH)) I'm hoping that things will go smoothly and the way I'd like. Another issue I'm concerned about is that my daughter is breech and has been for the whole pregnancy. She just seems to like this position and has made it hard for all the sonograms. I'm almost 30wks on Sunday. So a concern I have is NO CHOICE because they won't allow breech births here...automatic C-sections.

This whole thing is a wait and see. But I do feel somewhat depressed that I don't have much input on the birth of my daughter. I AM fighting for what I'd like, but much of it depends on if I get a Dr. willing to work with me. If my Perinatologist I've chosen isn't working the night I go into labor...I have the other idiots from the practice and a choice of two midwives who aren't really natural-minded but take on the clinical beliefs. :wacko: :cry:

Just to say ....I'm living this and it's a load of crap! :cry:

:hugs: I hope that she turns for you and that you get to do things your way this time! Well done for you for keeping up such a fight!

I find OBEM USA weird. The women just lie there. Some are even eating snacks. Then they're like 'oh, I think I'll push!' Very strange. And why are all of the docs dressed up like they're about to go into surgery for the vaginal births? I do watch it though, I find it strangely compulsive!

When I had LO in the UK gas and air was discouraged, epidurals unheard of unless women really couldn't cope! It's a whole differences world.

I really don't know why I watch this show, but I do?? It really annoys me and in turn my OH gets annoyed by my constant commentary of it!

i actually saw a positive ish birth on there last ngiht but it was accidental - a young 1st time mum had a natural pain-relief free labour and birth, it was accidental but still so nice to see someone being able to feel their birth experience

Do US ladies get any pain relief options other than epidurals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->