One Born Every Minute US is horrible!!

I watched that 2 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. It caused me to be more aware. Two days before I lost my son I had talked with the doula and was about to hire her for help.

Well ((sigh)) another concern has popped up for me. I have a heart shaped uterus. Dr. and nurse knew about it as well. After the frustration of still seeing Amelia in breech as her brother was, I just started to research. A friend of mine sent me the link for spinningbabies.com and after a few days of researching I've found out that many babies of women with heart shaped uterus' end up with c-sections because babies are more apt to be breech. Best time to move the baby into position is starting in the second trimester up to 30wks. I'm 30wks 4 dys right now.

Do you think either Dr. or nurse would have told me this was an issue?! Noooo. for course not! They just keep telling me there's time to turn until wk 34.

Had I known about the issue I would have started early to spin the baby around. NOW I have to come to terms that I may have no choice but to have a c-section if she doesn't turn.

What I DID learn though from the website is if she DOESN'T turn....then instead of scheduling the section, tell them you want to wait until you go into labor before going in for a section. That would allow for the pregnancy hormones to kick in for both baby and mommy. If the section is scheduled BEFORE the labor then it is unlikely the hormones will kick in as they should.

This is proving to be an interesting journey for me. EVERYTHING has been out of my hands. At least I am loaded with information and have the knowledge to make good decisions when confronted with the unknown.:shrug:

Well, I suppose it's a wait and see for me. :winkwink:

I am sorry to hear you may have to have a section. I will keep my fingers crossed that lo turns for you. I do agree that I would definitley wait for labor to start and not schedule the section.

That's something I'm "hoping" to do. Even the website stated that Dr.'s don't like to wait until labor starts for a c-section because they're concerned nobody will be around when needed for the section. As we all know, they LOVE to schedule sections around here like candy.

In fact, I know several girls who have the elective c-sections because it's quick and easy, they can have the baby on the date THEY want and a few of them like that the incision can be made so they're beautiful little bikini bodies will still fit perfectly.:dohh:

Well, I'm going to focus on the positive and hope that lo will turn. It IS possible still, but I'm learning the best time to have turned would have been by now because the heart shaped uterus makes it tough for them in the later to turn easily. We'll see what happens. I know there are chiropractors that can help but am unsure if New York State allows them to work prenatal turning.

I'll keep everyone updated. In the meantime I wish I could see some video of this show. It would be so good to see but every youtube video I see is blocked for American use. Maybe because they don't want you UK women tainting our minds with "misinformation" about natural births. :winkwink: :rofl:

Haha!! I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe they don't want us to see and start taking charge of our birth, and continue to exploit us. A big conspiracy.:haha:

It IS the norm in the US for a woman to take an epidural. When I told my parents that I am researching different options for natural birth, they were both horrified. My mom actually said "Ewwww, you are not really going to do that are you?" I explained to them that I have done a lot of researching, and ultimately I want what is best for the baby. They finally started to understand, and my mom told me that there was no way to research birthing options back when she gave birth, and she just did as the doctors recommended.

I AM having a hospital birth, but I have chosen my hospital carefully. The hospital where I am giving birth is actually about an hour away by car, so that comes with its own concerns. BUT the hospital here in town is horrible and I would not trust it for a second.

The hospital where I am giving birth offers birthing classes and even natural birthing classes. They also offer a duola at no extra cost to the mother. This is from their website:

Labor and Delivery Care
Your Special Nurse and Doula Programs

A Special Nurse provides personalized care through private visits and consultations and can answer questions, describe labor options, and help prepare for the baby’s arrival.

A specially trained Doula is available to help women and their family during the labor and birth process. A Doula gives one-on-one support to women in labor by providing non-medical physical and emotional care. The continuous support given by a Doula results in shorter labor, less need for pain medication, and fewer complications.

Labor Support

Women have a variety of options to help them through their childbirth experience. Natural techniques include walking during labor, hydrotherapy, birth balls, squatting bar, breathing techniques, aromatherapy, massage, and music. Women can also explore positions in Yoga to alleviate their discomfort. Epidural and medication options are also available.

Don’t Miss a Thing

All care for you and your baby is done in the comfort and convenience of your room. Receiving all car in the same room has many benefits. A baby by its mother’s side will cry and startle much less, and breastfeeding is easier and is likely to be more successful.

Also, you have a chance to immediately begin building a relationship with your baby. You will be there to see all your baby’s “firsts” and will come to understand you new baby’s personality. Bonding is promoted between you and your baby so that you learn about your baby’s needs right away.

[/B][/B][/I]

It IS the norm in the US for a woman to take an epidural. When I told my parents that I am researching different options for natural birth, they were both horrified. My mom actually said "Ewwww, you are not really going to do that are you?" I explained to them that I have done a lot of researching, and ultimately I want what is best for the baby. They finally started to understand, and my mom told me that there was no way to research birthing options back when she gave birth, and she just did as the doctors recommended.

I AM having a hospital birth, but I have chosen my hospital carefully. The hospital where I am giving birth is actually about an hour away by car, so that comes with its own concerns. BUT the hospital here in town is horrible and I would not trust it for a second.

The hospital where I am giving birth offers birthing classes and even natural birthing classes. They also offer a duola at no extra cost to the mother. This is from their website:

Labor and Delivery Care

A Special Nurse provides personalized care through private visits and consultations and can answer questions, describe labor options, and help prepare for the baby’s arrival.

A specially trained Doula is available to help women and their family during the labor and birth process. A Doula gives one-on-one support to women in labor by providing non-medical physical and emotional care. The continuous support given by a Doula results in shorter labor, less need for pain medication, and fewer complications.

Labor Support

Women have a variety of options to help them through their childbirth experience. Natural techniques include walking during labor, hydrotherapy, birth balls, squatting bar, breathing techniques, aromatherapy, massage, and music. Women can also explore positions in Yoga to alleviate their discomfort. Epidural and medication options are also available.

Don’t Miss a Thing

All care for you and your baby is done in the comfort and convenience of your room. Receiving all car in the same room has many benefits. A baby by its mother’s side will cry and startle much less, and breastfeeding is easier and is likely to be more successful.

Also, you have a chance to immediately begin building a relationship with your baby. You will be there to see all your baby’s “firsts” and will come to understand you new baby’s personality. Bonding is promoted between you and your baby so that you learn about your baby’s needs right away.

[/B][/B][/I]
Wow! Where the heck are you that your getting these goodies at the hospital?? Do they have a NICU?

Yes, they have a NICU. It is a university/research medical center (hospital) in NW Texas. I feel SO lucky to have it close, though I am a BIT nervous about it being an hour's drive away!

I had two pelvic surgeries in that hospital last year, and I loved the OB/GYN that did the surgeries and felt that they took great care of me there. The same OB will be delivering my baby (or at least his group will). They are all a part of this medical center, so I really feel I am in wonderful hands. The only downside (If you want to call it that) is that since it is a university/research hospital, they do often have a student or two observing. At least, they did with my surgeries. I seem to recall that I gave permission though. I will take that over a crappy hospital any day though!

Yes, they have a NICU. It is a university/research medical center (hospital) in NW Texas. I feel SO lucky to have it close, though I am a BIT nervous about it being an hour's drive away!

I had two pelvic surgeries in that hospital last year, and I loved the OB/GYN that did the surgeries and felt that they took great care of me there. The same OB will be delivering my baby (or at least his group will). They are all a part of this medical center, so I really feel I am in wonderful hands. The only downside (If you want to call it that) is that since it is a university/research hospital, they do often have a student or two observing. At least, they did with my surgeries. I seem to recall that I gave permission though. I will take that over a crappy hospital any day though!

Is this the hospital in Denton? My doula told me about the doctor there who is super supportive of natural birth and will do a vaginal breech birth. The only one in TX who will.

Is this the hospital in Denton? My doula told me about the doctor there who is super supportive of natural birth and will do a vaginal breech birth. The only one in TX who will.

No, the hospital is in Lubbock. The hospital in general seems very supportive, if not encouraging, of natural births. I have no idea about vaginal breech births there tho... I guess they don't perform them if the one in Denton is the only one in the state to do it :nope:

You know, I've heard a whole lot of good things about Texas hospitals where babies are concerned. There's one with a pretty well known NICU that's one of the best. I'm not a fan of hot weather but wish we lived near hospitals with such good repor like they do. Don't get me wrong, we have a couple hospitals in Central NY and I'm sure a couple good ones in the City but for the most part, in my area the medical community is crap. That's overall in many specialties. It's the reason I've thought of moving the heck away. Since we moved from Ohio back to our home state I've been miserable with the kind of healthcare they have here.

Yeah, I am not originally from TX and haven't lived here many years, but my experience with medical care here has been very good so far. But it IS hot here :cry:

Labor and Delivery Care

Labor Support

Don’t Miss a Thing

[/B][/B][/I]

Wow!!! If we had a hospital like that near me I would have no problem birthing in a hospital!! You are very lucky they are so open-minded!

Yeah, I am not originally from TX and haven't lived here many years, but my experience with medical care here has been very good so far. But it IS hot here :cry:

Hot? Oh come on, it was only 108 today! I am soooo over the summer here. I grew up in TX, and it just gets worse.

I may be wrong about the breech, but I remember both my doula and MW saying he was the only one. BUT my MW did say he teaches as well, so hopefully that will change as time goes by. It just amazes me they don't teach breech birth in medical school. I can't imagine any other discipline of medicine that works as obstetrics do in the US.

I'd be scared to watch it, it makes me angry how the US has to make giving birth a procedure and be so invasive (from what I've seen) :grr: Just let women get on with it and actually enjoy it a little bit where possible!

Apparently Australia shows the UK OBEM on SBS?

But I think I've found some links that MIGHT work...

dailytvonline.com

watchseries-online.com

FXd they work!

Hot? Oh come on, it was only 108 today! I am soooo over the summer here. I grew up in TX, and it just gets worse.

I may be wrong about the breech, but I remember both my doula and MW saying he was the only one. BUT my MW did say he teaches as well, so hopefully that will change as time goes by. It just amazes me they don't teach breech birth in medical school. I can't imagine any other discipline of medicine that works as obstetrics do in the US.

Haha, yeah the heat has been HORRIBLE this summer. The only saving grace is that I am in NW TX where there is virtually no humidity. I am originally from the SE US, where humidity is so high it feels like you are under water! I know parts of eastern TX are like that too, so I do know things could be worse! I am completely with you though- Ready for cooler temps!

As for the TV show in the thread, I have never seen it. Never heard of it, actually. I wonder if it comes on here. I would think the US version would...

I had natural labor! :)
I enjoyed!! I should have been on that show-
something new!!! haha

I had natural labor! :)
I enjoyed!! I should have been on that show-
something new!!! haha

You definitely should have, show them how it's done :haha: Well done hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads