One of the most mind challenging things I've ever done...

October2013

Mommy to a baby girl
Reaction score
is trying to install an infant car seat base!!!! :hissy: :hissy: :hissy:

Girls, I give up. I just CAN'T DO IT. I am so beyond frustrated with this thing and I'm close to throwing it off a mountain.

I have tried using the latches that come out underneath the base, but it doesn't seem that my car has the latch bars to hold them. I've tried using the middle seatbelt, AND the passenger side seatbelt, but neither of them will tighten enough to hold the base in place. I've read the directions multiple times and watched two Youtube videos, and I still can't do it!

I guess I'm going to have to go to the local fire dept and hope someone there can show me how to do it.
I had no idea this would be so hard! :dohh: I mean I have a "soccer mom car", so this SHOULD be easy!

Anyone else having issues with their car seat/ car?

Lol!

It's the base you're trying to install? I haven't done it in so long, but I remember just using the seatbelt.

Does your backseat fold down? Try doing that and looking for the latch bars. They can be really hidden.

It sounds like you have an isofix base, but that your car does not have isofix points? You can have isofix points installed at a garage if you want to, I believe.

Have you tried putting the seat in without the base at all? Might be an option if you can't get the base to work. It's worth learning in case you have to install the seat inside a car with no base, anyway. We're just using a seat and no base as we don't have isofix in our car, and the seatbelt only bases are still kind of pricey for us when I'm very confident in installing a seat correctly myself.

Lol!

It's the base you're trying to install? I haven't done it in so long, but I remember just using the seatbelt.

Does your backseat fold down? Try doing that and looking for the latch bars. They can be really hidden.

Yes it's the base that's giving me trouble. Thanks, I will try folding down the seat! My car is a '99 so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have the latch bars. :roll:

It sounds like you have an isofix base, but that your car does not have isofix points? You can have isofix points installed at a garage if you want to, I believe.

Have you tried putting the seat in without the base at all? Might be an option if you can't get the base to work. It's worth learning in case you have to install the seat inside a car with no base, anyway. We're just using a seat and no base as we don't have isofix in our car, and the seatbelt only bases are still kind of pricey for us when I'm very confident in installing a seat correctly myself.

I actually haven't tried JUST putting in the seat without the base, I didn't know I could do that. :dohh: That may be my next step, since we can't afford to have latch bars installed.

My first car was a 98 and it did not have them. Google if your vehicle does or doesn't. Can't you install the base with just the seatbelt? I personally found it much more convenient because you can put the carseat in one-handed if needed.

But in other vehicles where your base isn't installed, you'll have to learn how to use just the seatbelt and carseat installation too... Good luck :)

My non-pregnant husband will be doing this installation lol

My first car was a 98 and it did not have them. Google if your vehicle does or doesn't. Can't you install the base with just the seatbelt? I personally found it much more convenient because you can put the carseat in one-handed if needed.

But in other vehicles where your base isn't installed, you'll have to learn how to use just the seatbelt and carseat installation too... Good luck :)

My non-pregnant husband will be doing this installation lol

I'll google my year make and model but I think my car is like yours and doesn't have them. Darn it. :(
I think I'll pawn this one off on my non-pregnant OH as well, since I'm running out of patience for it. :haha:

:huh: I didn't realize you could put it in without the base either... We haven't even installed it yet because I don't know what car I'll be in when I come home. I know I'M not driving myself home lol or to the hospital unless I don't have a choice!

:huh: I didn't realize you could put it in without the base either... We haven't even installed it yet because I don't know what car I'll be in when I come home. I know I'M not driving myself home lol or to the hospital unless I don't have a choice!

If you know how to put it in with just the seatbelt, anyone with a backseat shoulder strap can drive you home :)

Basically put the carseat rearfacing in the seat, pull the seatbelt out all the way. The lapbelt goes over the lap of baby (braced by carseat sides obviously), and the shoulder strap goes around the back of the carseat, then just buckle it in and make sure the seatbelt is pulled snug.

We're not bothering with a base either. The car seat we've got straps in really easily with the 3point seat belt and as we use both cars fairly equally I wasn't prepared to buy two bases.

If you know how to put it in with just the seatbelt, anyone with a backseat shoulder strap can drive you home :)

Basically put the carseat rearfacing in the seat, pull the seatbelt out all the way. The lapbelt goes over the lap of baby (braced by carseat sides obviously), and the shoulder strap goes around the back of the carseat, then just buckle it in and make sure the seatbelt is pulled snug.

Lord, this sounds SO much easier than trying to strap in that base....

I got such a kick out of this. Not being amused by your frustration, it just reminded me of when I was pregnant with my first & I COULD NOT put the stroller together. DH just sat there playing Xbox until I flipped on him, threw the instruction & ran & dove face first on the bed where I laid & cried for an hour. DH came in & tried to give me a gym teacher pep talk about not being a quitter & I almost murdered him right there.

It's pregnancy. You'll get it. Try it again in a few days or after the baby comes. I was a whiz at putting things together this time thankfully. Car seats are still one of my most hated but it is so important they are installed right. There is a probably a place in your area that will install it for you, i.e. fire dept.

DH just sat there playing Xbox until I flipped on him, threw the instruction & ran & dove face first on the bed where I laid & cried for an hour. DH came in & tried to give me a gym teacher pep talk about not being a quitter & I almost murdered him right there.

Oh my gosh, this sounds just like something that would occur between me and my OH. :rofl: Except replace "Xbox" with "Youtube."

And thank you. :) I plan on running by the fire dept tomorrow so they can show me how to do it. I'd hate to install it incorrectly and have it fail in a time of need.

Lol! I totally agree! I installed mine a few days ago. Just reading the instructions had me scratching my head and feeling like a certifiable idiot.

..I hope I did it right!

What kind of carseat is it? Different bases have different ways of installing them. My son's carseat, although not an infant carseat, has both for latch as well as two seperate "holes" in the base to put the belt depending on whether or not it is front or rear facing. Also, how tight are you trying to get it? No matter what you do there will always be a slight wiggle to the base or car seat no matter which you chose, the difference is that a centimeter is acceptable wiggle room where an inch is not. Also, install the base with carseat latched in if possible (if you haven't already tried it), as the weight of it can change that wiggle room. Some of the seats also have a "foot" on the bottom to flip up or down depending on the shape of the seat in your car, if it's in the wrong position it can also cause wiggle room and slippage.

It's hard to know what the problem is but honestly, going to police or fire department and asking about how to install it is not a bad idea. It is their JOB to do this to ensure safety and most of them are not bothered by it. Some in fact will enjoy it because it feeds that whole "damsel in distress" thing. I personally love the base, especially with a newborn in the winter because whether you are installing the carseat with baby in it or before and then bringing baby out to put in the car, this takes more time then an easy snap into the car base and in that time the car cools off.

I actually haven't tried JUST putting in the seat without the base, I didn't know I could do that. :dohh: That may be my next step, since we can't afford to have latch bars installed.

I odnt think that is legal in the states, i think we have to use the base...

We're not bothering with a base either. The car seat we've got straps in really easily with the 3point seat belt and as we use both cars fairly equally I wasn't prepared to buy two bases.

your cars are a bit more snug then ours and over here its illegal not to use the whole care seat.

I odnt think that is legal in the states, i think we have to use the base...

It's not illegal to use without a base, just isn't recommended because most laws include that the rear facing carseat should be installed at no more than a 45 degree angle which can be hard to obtain by installing without the base. It it easier to improperly install without a base and much safer to install using the base as the base can insure the baby is laying back more by adjusting the foot.

I just looked this up in several states and even typed it in in general and I haven't found anything saying it's illegal. There are some car seats, however, that are not intended to be used without the base and THOSE are illegal to use without a base. If your car seat instructions come with a way to install without a base then it is perfectly legal.

Not all isofix bases can be fitted with a seat belt. We accidently bought the latest model which only works with isofix points...which car built after 02 will have. But ours is 01 and doesnt...thankfully they let us exchange it for an older model.

Any garage should be able to help you...i can safely say the isofix was the best product we bought...mean u are always sure the car seat is fitted correctly, improves safety and super quick espically having a winter baby.

I really recommend those with bases learn how to install your seat correctly without the base though! You never know what situation you might find yourself in where you might need to use another car that doesn't have the base, be it a taxi or a relative. Removing the base and trying to install it in other cars all the time is impractical at best, not to mention lugging it around as well as the car seat...

It certainly shouldn't be illegal to use a first stage car seat without a base! There are still loads of cars that don't have isofix. At least over here I believe it is still common not to have the bases. They are great and ensure a correct, quick fit every time, but they are optional extras. We couldn't use any sort of base with our first car as we had underfloor storage that wasn't compatible with the arm of the base, so I learnt to put the seat in quickly, efficiently, and correctly. We've got a car with no underfloor this time, but the bases are so expensive second hand even, that I felt since I'm confident fitting seats that it would have been money better spent elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->