• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinions in taking time off work during early pregnancy

Rcx

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Ok so looking for some opinions here!

Like the topic says i feel like I need to take time off sick. I am absolutely exhausted, feel sick day and night mostly from tiredness rather MS and I am totally overworked and stressed out at work. If I wasn't pregnant and felt like this I would definitely take the time off but because I'm pregnant I feel like I shouldn't. No one at work knows I am pregnant. I was speaking with my mum who said she thinks I should take some time off to try and rest and relax.
I haven't ever been off sick in this job since I started and am always on time and work really hard and just feel like the are taking the p*ss out me because I am a hard worker, I just feel like I shouldn't be taking the time off because I'm pregnant. I would get full pay being off.

What do you all think?

I've never had more than 2 days off and I've now had 2 weeks . I had bleeding and although wasn't told to take it off specifically I felt it was best for baby and I honestly couldn't have done any work. Thankfully my boss knew and is fine about it.

If you need it take it, it's not like you're just slacking and it'll be best for baby. It may be best to tell your boss though. Don't feel guilty for putting your LO first. Plus as my mum told me it will get them used to you being on maternity!

Hope you feel better soon.

I hardly take any time ill, I think 5 days in 7 years. And I give my heart & soul to work but the minute you fall pregnant it's not just you to consider and I would take a week off for sure if you feel it's needed. But remember that won't sort the issue of being stressed, I imagine that'll return as soon as you do. Good luck

Yeah I will be speaking to them about workload anyway because it was bad before Christmas anyway. Just feel hideous at the moment and feel so guilty if I take time off but just never felt like I've needed it more!

I'm off sick today :nope:

I had to go home early yesterday as the ms has kicked in with a vengeance and I was really struggling. I'm working a 70 hour week this week and in my job I never get to sit down or stop for a second and I just can't manage it feeling like this. I didn't want to tell work yet but had to in the end.

I never take time off sick; in my last pregnancy I was working 14-hr nights and vomited so much I was bringing up blood and I still didn't take a day off :wacko: I look back now and think i was crazy - no one really appreciates it anyway. I won't get a medal for struggling through!

I called in sick today, gonna take tomorrow too and just rest up, hoping a few days of doing nothing will sort be out and help because I am completely exhausted

Well, if you feel like you need to take off then u should..!! Just listen to your body :) xx

Dream.angel is right just listen to your body. If u feel like u need time off don't feel bad about it have sometime off. Your body probably needs it after all you are making a baby xx

It's just one of those things you have to judge at the time. Like for me I haven't been so bad that I've felt I can't cope, I have felt nauseous but stuck it out & then rested up when I got in. I think if I was being physically sick I would take sick time. If I have felt exhausted I've just gone to bed really early like 8pm & it's helped me for the next day, but I haven't taken time off for it. It depends on you, only you know your body, how much you can cope with & whether time off will help. You sound like you need it in my opinion & on full pay I think I would if I were in your position. Good luck hope you feel better soon.
xo.

Luckily I had holiday to use up and have 2 Saturdays off this month. I didn't want to do the heavy work or have to explain why I didn't want to do it until after I've had a scan. The rest of my rota isn't too bad and once I tell them they can adjust them to suit me.
Xx

My job is kind of physically difficult sometimes (stocking textbooks, bending, lifting, and reaching) yesterday after I got off work I started spotting and its since stopped but I feel like it might be related to work. If I were you id take a break, listen to the signs your body is telling you. I'm going to talk to my doctor about whether I should be doing less strenuous stuff at work since I have the spotting going on.

I'm in the same situation with stress at work, when experienced people are leaving they are just putting a junior in their place and expecting me to take up the slack and train at same time, I actually ended up in casualty yesterday, went to Asda on my lunch break and fainted then had a panick attack, they then transferred me from casualty to the eou and my blood pressure, temp and heart rate was sky high and I had 2+ keytones in my urine, they kept me there until I was better and told me that it was due to stress and I need to take time off to rest and then speak to my employer, I just don't know how to go about it cause I don't see them understanding!

Oh dear hope you are all ok! I have a docs app tomorrow morning just to get checked out because I just feel so awful! I know it's normal to feel tired in early pregnancy but I am struggling to cope with the tiredness!

Could you quietly speak to your boss and tell them your pregnant?

I wouldnt hesitate to take the time off myself-you and your baby come first honey :)

I had 2 days off the other week because I couldn't stop throwing up and felt exhausted. I can't work if I'm being sick.

Could you quietly speak to your boss and tell them your pregnant?

I wouldnt hesitate to take the time off myself-you and your baby come first honey :)

I am really considering it and I know it would not go any further until I was ready to formally tell them. I work for local gov so difficult to keep it quiet through all the levels of management & hr etc. I am going to speak to her about feeling overworked when I'm back but feel like if I tell her I'm pregnant then it will be easier for her to understand.

I am already feeling a bit better from taking today off and doing nothing so hoping tomorrow and the weekend will sort me right out!

You should definitely take the time off. Your mum duties start before lo is born, and if you need to rest, then you should do so for your baby. If you are feeling very unwell and exhausted your body is telling you to slow down!

I know how you feel though, I had awful morning sickness with my 1st, to the point where if I sat up out of bed I was sick, so took loads of time off and felt very guilty about it at the time, but now I feel I did the right thing.

Take care of yourself! x

Definitely take a day off and try to recoup some energy.
I will say however that most employers wont take ms as a valid reason to miss work and you will definitely need to have a letter from your GP.
I had hyperemesis with lo so I was in hospital for the the vast majority of the first half of my pregnancy and even then they wanted proof from week to week so I just gave up.
Couldn't handle that crap when I was dying from organ failure. Your really only a number to most employers.
What did I learn from all that? You have to get your priorities in order.
Rest hun and don't feel one bit guilty.
xx

Ps to the lady with ketones +2 make sure to keep an eye on that.
Being severely dehydrated so bad for you.
My ketones were +5 for the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->