Opting For A C-Section?

steph1505

Reaction score
Okay, Im not planning baby number 2 yet or anything like that but my mind wanders sometimes and I have been trying to decide whether to opt for a c-section next time. I had to have an emergency section with Brandon because me cervix didnt turn (i didnt kno it was meant to) and Brandon got stuck and ended up distressed!

I worry that the same will happen to the next baby during labour and obviously one way to avoid this is to opt for a c-section!

I just wondered if anyone could answer my questions?

At how many weeks do they perform the c-section? I heard 37 weeks but what if the baby isnt ready to come out yet? I know that sounds daft!!

Thanks! x x x

It might be different here, but if you are having a planned csection because you had one before then they don't do it until 39wks. If you are having one for medical reasons they would do it earlier if needed...like say placenta previa.

My last daughter was also an emergency c-section after failed induction as she was showing distress and have been told that if i opt for another c-section then i will be booked in at 39 weeks and no earlier.

Am not sure i want another to be honest tho as my first 3 babies were all normal delivery and the recovery was so much easier xxx

Yeah I can imagine the recovery from a vaginal delivery would be much easier! I thought I had a really bad recovery but it turns out all the pains were coming from my gallbladder! So im not putting the recovery side of things as a deciding factor but i can understand why others would!

Can you decide to try for a vaginal delivery? x x x

Yeah I can imagine the recovery from a vaginal delivery would be much easier! I thought I had a really bad recovery but it turns out all the pains were coming from my gallbladder! So im not putting the recovery side of things as a deciding factor but i can understand why others would!

Can you decide to try for a vaginal delivery? x x x

Yeah i have been told that after 1 c-section you can certainly try for a normal vaginal delivery. Think they will just keep a closer eye on you :thumbup:

Yep if you want to avoid another csection...which I did after mine, it was horrible and the recovery is even worse when you already have a little one at home to take care of too then add in a newborn. But with my 2nd I had an emergency csection, but a vaginal birth with my 3rd..so glad I did...will be doing the same with any future kids :)

I am really hoping i dont have another c-section this time round as last time the recovery with 3 littleones at home was dreadful and not being able to drive for 6 weeks was crazy doing the school run catching buses lol. Heres wishing us all a very healthy delivery which ever way things happen xxx

Okay, Im not planning baby number 2 yet or anything like that but my mind wanders sometimes and I have been trying to decide whether to opt for a c-section next time. I had to have an emergency section with Brandon because me cervix didnt turn (i didnt kno it was meant to) and Brandon got stuck and ended up distressed!

I worry that the same will happen to the next baby during labour and obviously one way to avoid this is to opt for a c-section!

I just wondered if anyone could answer my questions?

At how many weeks do they perform the c-section? I heard 37 weeks but what if the baby isnt ready to come out yet? I know that sounds daft!!

Thanks! x x x

From what i've read if you want a VBAC (vaginal birth after csection) you need to wait 1.5-2 yrs before having the next baby........before then i think you might have to have a section.
But i dont know if thats true and if it depends on your local health authority.too :shrug:.

xxx

I had a wonderful recovery from my c-section. It was planned and performed at 39 weeks. If me and OH decide to have another child, I will go for another c-section.

I will have to have a section with my next. :( I had to have a scheduled one with my first as he stayed breech. :trouble:

His was scheduled at 39 weeks, as would my second be.

I have toyed with the idea of VBAC, but have decided it is not for me (despite desperately wanting a natural birth).

Here are my reasons:
1. VBAC is not an option at the hospital in my town, so I would have to go to a hospital 4-5 hours away (not very realistic when you don't know when you will go into labor)

2. For me, the risks are too high. I plan on having no. 2 in the next couple of years and the longer you wait for VBAC the better. Also, if things rupture you have almost NO time to get baby out before there are very serious complications (brain damage and death are both possible).

I know it is rare for there to be complications with VBACs, but I would HATE to be one of those rare ones and have my baby suffer or die -- or me die -- when I could have prevented it with another section.

My first section was my WORST nightmare for a birth. :( But I would rather go through that again than take risks that I would have to for a VBAC (especially considering the hospital here won't do them).

But, that is a very personal choice! :)

Thanks! I havent decided on whether I would want to try a VBAC or not! The thought terrifies me TBH! I would hate to put myself thru that labour again (it wasnt so much the pain that scared me but the emotions of the day iykwim) for it just to end up with the same happening again!

I also didnt realise there was such risks! Its not something I need to be worried about any time soon, but it crossed my mind the other day and got me thinking! x x x

I had an emergency c section first time round as LO was stuck, it was all very traumatic, and i decided straight away if i was to have another baby i am going to opt for an elective c section, i cant go through all that again.

I had a fairly easy recovery after my planned section - and will have another section if/when I become pregnant again. And I know so many people who had to have an unplanned section after days and days of labor - no thanks:thumbup:

I had an emergency c section first time round as LO was stuck, it was all very traumatic, and i decided straight away if i was to have another baby i am going to opt for an elective c section, i cant go through all that again.

Thats exactly how I feel!

I can see me getting shot down in flames here BUT...................I'll say it anyways :winkwink:

I will be electing for a section second time around. I had an emergency c section at 33+4 and had been ill for 3 weeks before so I was somewhat mentally prepared (Id imagine if this happened suddenly after a truamatic labouring I might feel differently and cant even begin to imagine how that must havbe felt to you ladies :hugs:)

I had a great recovery from my section (although was in hosp for 9 days and no other babies to look after) and looking back the epi was uncomfortable (3attempts) but I would personally rather be uncomfotable for a wee while than in pain and suffer 3rd degree tears and grazes and sh*t myself everytime I needed a pee :blush:

I do however moarn the end of my pregnancy and wonder what labour feels like, I feel cheated but learning to deal with it but also TERRIFIED of labour now because I didnt experience it and for health reasons will be electing for a section (esp as Id rather have another bub sooner rather than later :happydance:)

Apologies if my take on labour etc offends anyone it is not meant that way at all :flower: x

To each their own!

I feel cheated out of natural child birth, too. And the fact that I will never know what labor is like... or contractions... or be able to SEE my LO being born, or hold a LO right away after they come out... or any of that. :cry: I was SOOOO desperate for doing it naturally, no drugs. But it was taken out of my hands by a big, breech baby, so I can't cry over it anymore.

And as much as I wanted a natural birth, it not about me -- it is about what is safe for my LO. Planned sections are much more easy to recover from than emergency ones anyway. I hate that is how I will always have to give birth, but that is just the way it is!

Thanks! I havent decided on whether I would want to try a VBAC or not! The thought terrifies me TBH! I would hate to put myself thru that labour again (it wasnt so much the pain that scared me but the emotions of the day iykwim) for it just to end up with the same happening again!

I also didnt realise there was such risks! Its not something I need to be worried about any time soon, but it crossed my mind the other day and got me thinking! x x x

The risks are very low for a VBAC :) The risk of uterine rupture is 4x higher than never having a csection BUT that still leaves the % at less than 1% chance. Also they will monitor you VERY closely and there are signs that can signal things going wrong, they do alot to make it safe, it is a very safe option. Don't forget that csections are a major surgery and come with lots of risks too :) Before you make your decision I would look into it some, see what you are more comfortable with. This is a good site for VBAC info

https://vbac.com/

Thanks for clarifying that M3c! :thumbup: VBAC risks are low. I would actually consider it more seriously if I lived near a hospital that could do them. The major problem for me is going into labor and being 4 hours from a hospital that will do a VBAC... or having to be life flighted to a hospital that could handle complications (which there would not be enough time for).

If you live near a hospital with doctors and staff experienced in safe VBAC, I think is is an excellent option to look into. I think it is great that VBACs are even an option now!

I was in the same situation, baby stuck and ended up distressed... but I still want to try vaginal next time. My recovery went fine, but I also hate not being able to move around or do anything at all for 2 weeks. It was hell, and although I know hubby was trying his best, he was just not me, and can not be my hands and feet 24/7. Can't imagine having a toddler and a newborn being stuck to the bed.

Over here, they schedule your c-section at 39weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->