OT (a little) - Christening Advice? Anybody NOT and why? POLL

To those that say people are bashing beliefs, I don't see that. I see a debate about religious doctrine that developed from the OP's initial post.

I'm one that accepts that others have different beliefs. I could care less what you believe. The issue I have (no one has done this here, btw) is when people force it down your throats. There was a preacher that would come to my college campus and used to say women were lesbians for wearing jeans :dohh: and screamed hellfire and brimstone would rain down on homosexuals :dohh: Public campus so he could be there. That's an extreme example.

^^^

Agreed. I have no issue with anyones beliefs, I find it humbling and somewhat confusing that a person can believe in something that hasn't been officially proven. It's not something I could do (logic overrides anything like this for me). Luckily for me my OH understands this and although we disagree on alot of things we never tend to bring them up or let them affect our life together.

That being said, if you even for a second try and force your beliefs and views down my throat, I will retaliate and not in a nice way.

Now I haven't read the whole thread so can't comment on that but those are my views.

We had been considering the christening being that DH's grandmas are uber Catholic, but we've been thinking about it more and more and we just don't agree with a lot of what the Catholic church teaches, and we aren't going to participate in a ceremony that we don't believe in.

Baptisim is needed as the reception of the other sacraments depend on it. My son would struggle to progress through the Catholic church without it and would not be able to go to a Catholic school. Also, since baptism removes both the guilt and the punishment due to Original Sin, delaying baptism until a child can understand the sacrament may put the child's salvation in danger, should he die unbaptized.

Don't believe any of that, sorry. Where does it say any of that in the bible?

Can you quote the scripture you have taken this idea from? Not arguing or being confrontational but never heard this anywhere in bible?:shrug: ps please be careful with your response as many who have lost babies on here may be slightly offended if you are to propose that their babas are not with God because they have not followed a man-written rule. X

If you had read my last response you would know where I got this from.
Im not going to apologise or be backed into a corner bacause of my and millions of others beleifs. People are easily offended on here so there is no need to be condescending and tell me to be careful.
There are many religions out there with laws and requirements about children, I dont see why Christianity should be torn to bits as it is in every other form of media. but i digress.

Didn't mean to single you out, so apologies if you felt that way :flower:

But my point is that it isn't a christian teaching for children to be christened. It's arguably catholic, but, as an OP said, if Christianity is to be a follower of the teaching of Christ, then I'm not sure where infant baptism fits into it all :shrug:

Nope because I dont feel it would change my LOs life in anyway shape or form. x

We won't be christening but Dedicating. Which will be saying we are putting our lo in the hands of God and asking God to guide us in raising the lo. Baptism is about repentance and accepting Jesus Christ
Lo can not do that until old enough to understand and choose.

Ooh that's a good idea how do you do that do you still go to a church?

We aren't religious, and I am neither christened nor confirmed so I won't have christening.

Oh and while it does not say in the scriptures(there is a lot of things done in many religions which don't feature in them, hence why there are so many different directions of christianity) I know at least here, in order to get confirmed in either protestant or catholic ways you'll need to be christened first, same , if you want to marry in the church youll need at least one of the couple to be christened as well. It doesnt matter when you get christened though it can literally be a day before you are confirmed/married.

Patch2006uk totally agree with everything you have said I was christened catholic and so was my mum and her family all Irish, and I won't be doing it I will be asking the local priest if he would do a blessing for us.

we didn't christen lo and nor would we want to, we're not religious and even if we were the choice is not ours to make.

OH and I have discussed that when we become parents, our children will definitely not be Christened. I was Christened, OH wasn't. We're not religious and neither are our immediate families. My siblings and I were only Christened because we lived in a small Irish village where it was important.

I would like to have a little party when the baby is a few months old to celebrate their arrival though.

i chose 'No, can't be bothered/not important' but tbh i wasnt really happy that cant be bothered and not important were in the same option

i am totally not religous in the slightest so it isnt an option for me, but to say i cant be bothered is completely unture, if it were something i believed in then of course i would be bothered

Nope i'm christened but won't be getting LO christened.
Too much hassle and the fact none of my family get along it would end up like something off shameless.
just no!

We aren't religious, so we didn't and wouldn't. I do know some people that christen their kids despite not being religious though which I find a bit strange but each to their own :)

Baptisim is needed as the reception of the other sacraments depend on it. My son would struggle to progress through the Catholic church without it and would not be able to go to a Catholic school. Also, since baptism removes both the guilt and the punishment due to Original Sin, delaying baptism until a child can understand the sacrament may put the child's salvation in danger, should he die unbaptized.

Don't believe any of that, sorry. Where does it say any of that in the bible?

Can you quote the scripture you have taken this idea from? Not arguing or being confrontational but never heard this anywhere in bible?:shrug: ps please be careful with your response as many who have lost babies on here may be slightly offended if you are to propose that their babas are not with God because they have not followed a man-written rule. X

If you had read my last response you would know where I got this from.
Im not going to apologise or be backed into a corner bacause of my and millions of others beleifs. People are easily offended on here so there is no need to be condescending and tell me to be careful.
There are many religions out there with laws and requirements about children, I dont see why Christianity should be torn to bits as it is in every other form of media. but i digress.

Didn't mean to single you out, so apologies if you felt that way :flower:

But my point is that it isn't a christian teaching for children to be christened. It's arguably catholic, but, as an OP said, if Christianity is to be a follower of the teaching of Christ, then I'm not sure where infant baptism fits into it all :shrug:

oh its fine, it just gets a little tiring sometimes. People take the piss constantly as Im a practising Catholic but ive never forced my religion on anyone, just want to practice in peace :flower:

I still maintain its to do with the schools it all started so young.Can i also point out that "Limbo" is a place of peace and happiness, babies do not suffer there and the Church is now saying perhaps the babies do go to Heaven but id need to look into it properly

https://voices.yahoo.com/pope-benedict-xvi-changes-catholic-churchs-stance-311194.html?cat=7 x

I'm not religious so have no intention of having my son Christened xx

I'm not Christian and neither is my guy, we are both Asatru. However, I was married to someone of a different faith and I found it to be quite uncomfortable. It has been a real blessing to be with someone as committed to the same faith as I am. With my daughter I did do a naming ceremony and will probably continue to do that in the future (DF has promised me 4 more :baby:) :loopy:

While I think it is good to respect the beliefs of your family, you also have to do what is right for you and your child. Some sort of social function celebrating the birth of the child and welcoming them into the family would be a good compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->