Over 40 - how many embryos did you transfer?

kellyb

Reaction score
Hi ladies! My title pretty much says it all. I'm 41, starting my first round of IVF. I haven't even started the meds yet, and of course, I'm stressing out about how many embryos to transfer, once we get to that point. My doctor said that at my age, you could actually go as high as 5!!! I was shocked. I'm pretty terrified of having twins or more. I do have a 5-year-old, and I know how much work just having one baby was. I just want to know, for any of you over 40, how many embryos did your doctor recommend you transfer? How many did you transfer? Did it work?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I'm well over 40 now and last year I transferred two for my DE cycle, I'm cycling again at the minute and plan to transfer two again. For me I want the highest chance, I would only not transfer two if there was a medical reason I could not carry twins. You need to do what is right for you, if you do not want the risk of twins I would transfer one.

I am 41 and stimmed a few months ago. I had 19 eggs fertilized and 10 embryos made it to day5. We did PGS on them and only 2 out of 10 were normal. So one out of five, as your RE is suggesting. Though, if I had not tested them and transferred five, there was the possibility of transfer the two normal embryos together. I guess a lot depends on how many embryos you will have on day5. If only a few, chances are only one will be normal, considering the age. Can you do PGS on your embryos so that you can transfer only one normal embryo?

Your doctor is probably assuming that they wouldn't all implant, I have read of REs transferring multiples of less then perfect quality embryos , usually for top grade embryos DE for instance they don't want to transfer more then 2 or 3 at the most because they are more likely to all stick. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->