Overweight or obese and TTC?

Hi
I am nearly 36 and we have been ttc for around 9 mths. I am 5ft 9" and weigh 202 lbs. A BMI around 30-31. I have two boys already from a former relationship and had no problems conceiving them. My husband also has two children from earlier, so we know we are both capable. But now I have type 2 diabetes (runs in the family) and I am wondering if that could affect the fertility? Also I wonder if it would be enough to lose maybe 10 lbs, so I am overweight instead of obese? Any experiences?
I wish everybody luck and hope we all get the baby/babies we would like...

DM Family-
We ordered that book too.

When did they tell you they wanted you in for a visit. I explained my weight and such and they still don't want to see me until I am 8 weeks.

Hey....well I went last week for a preg test....to confirm....they said it wouldn't show up pos it was still too early...however I pretty much begged..and said I took 9 tests at home....they still doubted it but did it anyway...and to their surprise it was positive...LOL So they set up my first real visit this wed....I will be almost 6 weeks but that is based on Ovulation....they are basing it off of my last af....so they think I am about 4 days more advanced than that....but they we will discuss that this week. The nurse that did the test was very nice and said I must have been healthy to conceive and I have lost weight ...so she marked all my eating habits and weight lose in my file...for the doc to talk to me about this week...I hope all goes well...I'm waiting to get yelled at for being too big...:-(

Ugh idk why but this cycle i have been major stress eating since O day! Help!

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am also "obese" and TTC. And so is almost every single woman in my family (obese, that is). My mom is the skinniest at ~200 pounds and she just delivered a healthy baby girl 6th months ago (and she's 44 years old). All the other women in my family are VERY fertile as well. Each of my female cousins have had at least one baby and most have had 2+. All of my aunts had at least 2 kids and we're ALL fat!

So there's definitely hope that we'll get pregnant and there's definitely hope that we'll find doctors that won't complain too much about our weight.

FleurDeLis
have your friends told you you won't be able to conceive because of your weight? That doesn't sound loving. My sister has said the same thing. She is a bit overweight and had to lose 30lbs each time to
Get pregnant with her boys! I'm glad you found it here for support. I'm sorry for all you've been through. Hugs!

Yes. I have a "friend" that works at a Women's Health Clinic and has more or less stated that because of my weight I won't be able to conceive and if I do I'm being selfish to the baby bc I can't be as active a parent as I should be. She knows the struggles that I've had with my ankle and learning to work the muscles again with Physical Therapy, so I don't understand where her negativity is coming from. However, I and my Husband work well as a team and I know we can do it. It just bothers me that there is such negativity even when it isn't their business.

Blimey, how can someone tell you won't be able TC just by looking at someone, she must save the clinic a fortune in medical bills!!!!!!

Sorry i'm not making light of ur situation but you can't tell someones fertility levels by looking at them. Perhaps she is not the kind of " friend" you need in ur life right now. Sorry to hear about ur ankle, wow thats some really tough times you've been through, :hugs:.

TTC is a tough journey and it's hard to stay positive but it's so much easier when u have a supportive DH it really makes a difference doesn't it?
Good luck hunni and lots of love x

Hello girls!

I just wanted to pop in and say I am also overweight and TTC. I am around 210lbs at the mo and on 2nd cycle of trying for our second. I was the same weight when I conceived my first in December 2009, had a trouble free pregnancy and a natural delivery. And that only took 2 cycles of trying to get pregnant, so I'm hoping for the same this time!! Pregnancy overweight was fine, I did have SPD but so did a couple of friends who are normal weight. The only grief I got was at scans as they said they couldn't get a clear picture, but they said they saw everything they needed to, so that's good enough for me!

Good luck ladies, it can and will happen for us!

xx

I have heard Alice Domar, one of the world experts on women's health and fertility say women whose body mass index is between 24 and 30 are most fertile.

That sounds very good :) I hope that if I lose some lbs, so I get under a BMI of 30 that it will help us conceive.. So now I must try to lose!!

I have been testing for ovulation with a kit, and it seems like today is a rise in LH. I was not certain I was ovulating, so that is good news! My cycle is normally 24-25 days, but last month it was 30 (guess who hoped she was pregnant... :) ). My period started early on Sept 4th, so I guess I am now on day 11 of my cycle?? When is best to get husband naked? ;)

Hahahaha gea!
Start baby dancing every other day NOW

This was my first chlomid month. I am just now seeing a surge at cd 14. Not positive by any means. But getting closer phew.

*will babydance away* ;)

Good luck all of you!

Ugh idk why but this cycle i have been major stress eating since O day! Help!

Same here! Some stressful things going on lately, but I have been a piglet lately! Hoping I'm pg and having cravings already. :)

Cd 16 smiley positive Opk!!!!!

Wish me luck!

I have brocitis. But it didn't affect ovulation. Let's just hope it doesn't affect conception.

Hi ladies,

Just wanted you to know that I am over 20 stone but got my BFP on Wednesday - so it can happen, even for really big people like me!!

x

Thanks hunny, very excited! Trying not to worry though - there is just so much that can go wrong, I think I will be on edge til the day its born.... and then til its 18... and then til its 30.... lol

Congrats! I have to ask, what's a "stone"? Is that 10 pound increments? I'm around 200 pounds and I was the same 10 years ago and got pregnant with my son naturally but again, I was only 20 and now 31 so hopefully we all can prove the scale wrong.

Thanks caity - it took us 9 months, but we got there eventually! Just hope its a sticky bean!!

Congrats! I have to ask, what's a "stone"? Is that 10 pound increments? I'm around 200 pounds and I was the same 10 years ago and got pregnant with my son naturally but again, I was only 20 and now 31 so hopefully we all can prove the scale wrong.

A stone is 14 pounds. It's a British Imperial measurement from what I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->