Panorama - What's Really in Our Kids' Food?

Reading some of the AK books was one of the reasons I went for BLW. I couln't believe how many things had sugar in.

I thought she was acting like a politician - interrupting and anticipating questions, acting like she was being attacked, contradicting her own advice in her books, not being clear, inadvertantly being contraversial (depending on your own interpretation of what she meant by 'educated mothers') and not having her facts straight.

Put me off her even more :(

Wow i watched it online...never realised just how clueless i was until now! Healthy eating here i come!! x

Reading some of the AK books was one of the reasons I went for BLW. I couln't believe how many things had sugar in.

I think this does her recipe books a bit of an injustice to be honest. I have 2 of her recipe books, and there is no sugar where sugar is not needed (puddings)

I have yet to see a recipe in her books that includes anything that could be considered bad for a baby.

Sugar is not bad for babies, I am not sure why it is thought to be - it is naturally in things which BLW babies eat too - everything in the right amounts is fine.

I think if you're really concerned about adding sugar or salt or anything, then you could just leave it out.

I think this does her recipe books a bit of an injustice to be honest. I have 2 of her recipe books, and there is no sugar where sugar is not needed (puddings)

I have yet to see a recipe in her books that includes anything that could be considered bad for a baby.

Sugar is not bad for babies, I am not sure why it is thought to be - it is naturally in things which BLW babies eat too - everything in the right amounts is fine.

Really? The refined type certainly is, it's bad for anyone.
It's bad for their teeth, it's empty calories, can cause a spike in energy followed by a crash, can lead to a preference towards sweet foods which may cause them to refuse / take less savoury.

Sugar is one of those things you build up a tolerance to, like salt, if you're used to a certain amount of sweetness in a food then you may find it unpalatable unsweetened. So best not to start giving them sweetened foods in the first place, as they don't need them anyway.

It was the notion, in many things that I have read that she has written, that we need to have sweet things with our meals. Not something I believe to be necessary and not a taste I want Emma to develop. Natural sugars in fruits I have no problems but I chose to avoid things where sugar is added, pudding or otherwise.

Did anyone see this last night?

I was really surprised that the Annabel Karmel ready meals contain so much added sugar and salt! I'd better start reading my cookery books again...

There is added sugar and salt in any ready meals in order to help preserve them and give them flavour. Less in children's foods, but it is still there.

The only way you will know what is in your children's food, is to make your own meals and feed them yourself. It doesn't take a lot of time, and I'd rather have the peace of mind!

Really? The refined type certainly is, it's bad for anyone.
It's bad for their teeth, it's empty calories, can cause a spike in energy followed by a crash, can lead to a preference towards sweet foods which may cause them to refuse / take less savoury.

Sugar is one of those things you build up a tolerance to, like salt, if you're used to a certain amount of sweetness in a food then you may find it unpalatable unsweetened. So best not to start giving them sweetened foods in the first place, as they don't need them anyway.

In excess of course that's the case, but as I said in the right amounts, and checking what things contain..I know plenty of mums who think fruit can do no harm and feed it in huge amounts - but that, especially dried, can be terrible for teeth.

is it repeated?? quite intesrested to watch it...

I just watched this, that Annabell Karmel is a right dozy bint, i cant believe that anyone would buy one of her books after watching that :shock:

im currently watching it now! i agree with what someone else said that her recipe books although i think her recipes are over complicated at times they dont contain anything i would show concern for and have helped me make things like bolognese and ceese sauce (i didnt know how to make it)

but i do agree only way u can be sure what yur child eats is if you prepare it yourself!!!

Lou
xxx

I just watched this, that Annabell Karmel is a right dozy bint, i cant believe that anyone would buy one of her books after watching that :shock:

she might well have come across as a bint in that program, but her recipes are still good and that is why her books are best sellers!

I don't buy recipes books based on if I like the chef or not..but whether I like the food!
I happen to have a lot of respect for her, she went through a lot and came out strong and did something with her life.

Is there a minimum amount of salt that a baby or toddler should have?

I thought that it was a brilliant programme. AK came across really badly. I don't have a problem with the product having 50% of their allowance (as this is fine as part of a balanced diet) but they should put that on the packaging. Who do you petition to change the labelling on food packaging?

Is there a minimum amount of salt that a baby or toddler should have?

I thought that it was a brilliant programme. AK came across really badly. I don't have a problem with the product having 50% of their allowance (as this is fine as part of a balanced diet) but they should put that on the packaging. Who do you petition to change the labelling on food packaging?

The Food Standards Agency is the government department responsible for this.

This is the site about the traffic light system we see on lots of products which is what should be on ALL foods!
https://www.eatwell.gov.uk/foodlabels/trafficlights/

she might well have come across as a bint in that program, but her recipes are still good and that is why her books are best sellers!

I don't buy recipes books based on if I like the chef or not..but whether I like the food!
I happen to have a lot of respect for her, she went through a lot and came out strong and did something with her life.

I had one of her recipe books for purees, when I was a first time mum I was cluless and the books gave me inspiration etc, There was nothing bad in the purees x

I don't know whether this link will work but i wanted to see if i could find the traffic light system on one of the AK products so went on tescos website (tescos actually have a different system). Am i right that it says that 1g of salt is 17% of the daily allowance?

https://www.tesco.com/superstore/product/shelf.aspx?shelfId=XX193#

Thanks Lisa for the link. I hate the traffic light system as it is too simplistic. I much prefer the percentages.

I don't know whether this link will work but i wanted to see if i could find the traffic light system on one of the AK products so went on tescos website (tescos actually have a different system). Am i right that it says that 1g of salt is 17% of the daily allowance?

https://www.tesco.com/superstore/product/shelf.aspx?shelfId=XX193#

Thanks Lisa for the link. I hate the traffic light system as it is too simplistic. I much prefer the percentages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->