Party meal?

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
Were having a christmas party for the kids next week which is at dinner time so i need some food that is good for kids and adults but i would rather not do a buffet style nugget/pizza meal but im completly stumped :wacko:

Any ideas :flower:

When in doubt I do pulled pork in the slow cooker, because it's pretty hard to mess up and it's easy to chuck in and have whenever you're ready to serve.

When in doubt I do pulled pork in the slow cooker, because it's pretty hard to mess up and it's easy to chuck in and have whenever you're ready to serve.

The slow cooker! Why didnt this occur to me. Thank you!

With a bap and mash?

The pulled pork i have got from Tesco has been £5 and barely enough for us, is there a cheaper way of doing it?

I usually do a mild chilli and lots of baguettes. Lots of hot sauces for people to vamp theirs up if need be.

Other ideas: large puff pastry tart, quiche salad and potatoes, quesadillas (so easy!), h/m pizzas, stew with crusty bread, fajitas.

I would probably do a casserole of some sort in the slow cooker with some crusty bread.

I'd do hotdogs..proper sausages though, fry some onions and get a nice fresh baguette chopped up. Always goes down well with adults and children and so easy

If you want to do pulled pork just buy a big cheap pork shoulder joint (maybe from the butchers?) it doesn't have to be a really good quality meat because it'll be nice and soft after a long cook. I am gagging typing this because it is one of my pregnancy aversion foods and I literally haven't been able to say the words since having it in first tri lol....!!

Snagged this from a slow cooker recipe facebook page (it's meant to be amazing) -
Epic Pork:

*Get a boneless pork joint - shoulder is a cheap cut and works well - and stick it in the slowcooker with some form of liquid (cider, apple juice, pineapple juice, cola, water, whatever). About half a mugful

*Cook on low for at least 8 hours.

*When it's cooked, remove the meat, hive off a mugful of the liquid in the slowcooker and set this aside. Drain the rest away

*Cut the fat off the pork and chuck it. Using 2 forks, shred the meat, then return it to the slowcooker

*Use the liquid to make a bbq sauce. You can buy some or use the recipe below

BBQ sauce:

*2tbsps butter, small onion (pureed or finely chopped), mugful of ketchup, mugful of cooking liquour or water, tsp salt (optional), 1/2 tsp pepper, couple of garlic cloves blitzed with onion, 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2tbsp lemon or lime juice, 2tbsp brown sugar/honey/golden syrup/whatever sugar you have lying around, 1tsp paprika, pinch of chilli flakes (optional).

*melt the butter, saute the onion and garlic for a few mins, chuck in everything else, simmer for 20 mins.

*Throw over the pork and stir to coat it. Leave in the slow cooker to warm through.

I bought a big shoulder joint from Tesco for £6 (it was half price), we had it last night and it served 4 adults and DS, we only ate about 1/3 of it if that! I serve it either on toasted bagels, in French bread or a roll, with guacamole, salsa, coleslaw, pickles, cheese... anything like mash, potato wedges, crisps, chips goes will with it :).

Taco bar.

The meat could probably be done in the slow cooker ahead of time, then all you need is a variety of veggie and sauce toppings and a big package of shells.

Tacos are usually a hit with kids, too.

I'm doing a get together on Saturday, I'm doing

Nachos
Sandwiches
Pizza
Cheat's frozen party selection from morrisons £5 for massive box
Ice cream cone cupcakes
And grinch fruit kebabs :D

Attachments

• ice cream cone cupcakes.jpg
    ice cream cone cupcakes.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 6
  • medium.1.jpg
    medium.1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 9
You could do a big pot of spaghetti! That's usually what I do. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->