PCOS and TTC #1

Unfortunately in the UK you can't just change doctors unless you go private and when you have to pay £200 to just have a consultation and then pay at the very least £400+ for tests for me and more money for my husbands tests and then even more for meds. And you can't really pay for private healthcare for fertility treatment so I have to stump up the costs up front. And at this moment I really don't have the money and although my husband said he would pay I really want it to be fair as its me with the problem :(

Hi, I just thought id share my story.
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2012, as soon as I found out I started trying for a baby and didn't get a BFP. Since then me and my ex broke up, I am a bridesmaid for my sister next month and ordered a bridesmaid dress too small, so I lost about 2 stone by eating healthily and exercising 4 times a week. It was very hard but worth it. I had been on the pill for a few months with my current partner and decided to stop taking it, and within 2 weeks of stopping my pill I concieved. I was in total shock and suprise as we weren't trying for a child.

I still to this day am in shock,but I put it down to my weight and exercise as I was overweight and lazy before. I went for a scan and it has confirmed I still have Pcos, but this is hope for us all.

I hope that you all get your BFP soon.

Xxxx

Unfortunately in the UK you can't just change doctors unless you go private and when you have to pay £200 to just have a consultation and then pay at the very least £400+ for tests for me and more money for my husbands tests and then even more for meds. And you can't really pay for private healthcare for fertility treatment so I have to stump up the costs up front. And at this moment I really don't have the money and although my husband said he would pay I really want it to be fair as its me with the problem :(

Oh... i didn't know the insurance worked that way in the UK. Well here is to hoping!!! We can work on it together!!! I started opk yesterday so we will see if i even o this month. According to my dr she doesn't even think that i am at all.

Hey ladies, PCOS here! Can't say anything great about it though, I'm already on Fertility medecine and so far it's not making me ovulate. : ( I struggle to accept the diagnostic actually, it's so unfair...

Hey ladies, PCOS here! Can't say anything great about it though, I'm already on Fertility medecine and so far it's not making me ovulate. : ( I struggle to accept the diagnostic actually, it's so unfair...

Im sorry Danna... i know its so hard!! I see your on cd7... i am cd6 so we are basically on the same cycle.

Im sorry Danna... i know its so hard!! I see your on cd7... i am cd6 so we are basically on the same cycle.

Thank you : )
Yep cycle buddy! I'll know on CD12 if Femara worked this time, so just a bit more to go.
When do you usually O?

Yep cycle buddy! I'll know on CD12 if Femara worked this time, so just a bit more to go.
When do you usually O?

i haven't o'd since i have been trying.. but im hoping the meds i am on will make me o this month!

Shortcakes- So did your doc diagnose you with PCOS or just chalk it up to weight? Honestly, I would try seeing a RE if you can! They specialize in fertility and all the infertility issues that might arise. They've been a huge help to me!

My story: I've been TTC since September 2013. We started TTC a month after I had my thyroid removed because I was told it would be easier once it was out. Had a great first few months but then out of nowhere my periods stopped. Went to an OBGYN and she ran blood tests and did an Ultrasound. Ultrasound showed a BUNCH of cysts on both of my ovaries. When blood came back, I asked her if I had PCOS and she told me no, straight up. I suspected she was wrong so thats when I went and started seeing a RE. The RE looked at the EXACT same blood results (and showed me them) and it was completely obvious that I had PCOS. So, either the OB lied to me or was not educated enough to diagnose it. Either way, I wasn't pleased because at this point I had missed out on 6 months of TTC due to no period.

Re put me on Metformin and I started ovulating and having periods again. But at the cost of metformin making me horribly sick. Like, gonna throw up constantly and running to the bathroom every hour to #2 sick. Having "accidents" sick. I still take it but luckily most of that has faded away, but it took about 6 months and I still have episodes. Anyway, the metformin worked for a while but gradually my cycles were getting longer and longer out to the point where I was having 60 day cycles. So, my doc agreed that I should be on Ovulation medication so she put me on Femara.

On my second cycle of Femara, I switched to a new RE because I moved almost 2 hrs away from my old one. First day of seeing my new RE and he did blood work to see if I could take more Femara because we all thought that I hadn't ovulated yet. But, lo and behold, I was pregnant. But second HCG test showed that I was going to lose it. After a D&C and many tests later it was shown that it was actually ectopic.

And that was 3 cycles ago. Been back to TTC for 2 cycles now and hoping for a BFP on Monday.

When do you usually O?

i haven't o'd since i have been trying.. but im hoping the meds i am on will make me o this month!

I hope so! Good luck with your meds :)
And I haven't O since starting TTC either, I know how it feels...sigh

Shortcakes- So did your doc diagnose you with PCOS or just chalk it up to weight? Honestly, I would try seeing a RE if you can! They specialize in fertility and all the infertility issues that might arise. They've been a huge help to me!

My story: I've been TTC since September 2013. We started TTC a month after I had my thyroid removed because I was told it would be easier once it was out. Had a great first few months but then out of nowhere my periods stopped. Went to an OBGYN and she ran blood tests and did an Ultrasound. Ultrasound showed a BUNCH of cysts on both of my ovaries. When blood came back, I asked her if I had PCOS and she told me no, straight up. I suspected she was wrong so thats when I went and started seeing a RE. The RE looked at the EXACT same blood results (and showed me them) and it was completely obvious that I had PCOS. So, either the OB lied to me or was not educated enough to diagnose it. Either way, I wasn't pleased because at this point I had missed out on 6 months of TTC due to no period.

Re put me on Metformin and I started ovulating and having periods again. But at the cost of metformin making me horribly sick. Like, gonna throw up constantly and running to the bathroom every hour to #2 sick. Having "accidents" sick. I still take it but luckily most of that has faded away, but it took about 6 months and I still have episodes. Anyway, the metformin worked for a while but gradually my cycles were getting longer and longer out to the point where I was having 60 day cycles. So, my doc agreed that I should be on Ovulation medication so she put me on Femara.

On my second cycle of Femara, I switched to a new RE because I moved almost 2 hrs away from my old one. First day of seeing my new RE and he did blood work to see if I could take more Femara because we all thought that I hadn't ovulated yet. But, lo and behold, I was pregnant. But second HCG test showed that I was going to lose it. After a D&C and many tests later it was shown that it was actually ectopic.

And that was 3 cycles ago. Been back to TTC for 2 cycles now and hoping for a BFP on Monday.

Stupid question.. What is an RE?

When do you usually O?

I hope so! Good luck with your meds :)
And I haven't O since starting TTC either, I know how it feels...sigh

It's just so frustrating.

Hi BeeBee sorry about your ectopic pregnancy, I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that is. On the flip side however least you know that you have ovulated and can conceieve its just a case of the medications making sure the environment is hospitable for the developing embryo. Fx for your BFP on Monday!

Danna, I really struggle with my diagnosis also. It feels like we have to put so much more effort into getting that elusive BFP. I'm not sure my PCOS effects me the same as you guys as my luteal phases from my last two cycles were both 14/15 days it's just it takes me ages to ovulate! Last two cycles were 54/75 days! Fx to a shorter one on vitex. I really hope the medications work for you, have you tried any self help/herbal remedies out of interest?
Shortcakes did your doc diagnose you with low progesterone? That generally is the reason for annovulation?

Oh that short luteal phase on my siggy, I should update it, I'm not even sure I ovulated, if I did it must have been pretty weak anyways. My main problem is that I don't ovulate. Once/if I do ovulate, I'm pretty sure other problems will come up. Pcos affects about everything, it's ridiculous xP

I did vitex and evening primerose oil for 5 months, and other herbal stuff from time to time, I'm afarid it didn't help me. Right now other than the meds I'm trying a low GI diet.

My doc diagnosed me based on the cysts on my ovaries and annovulation, but he didn't run any other hormones test after that. I don't even know if I'm insulin resistant or have high testosterone or anything. I should push for those tests ut everytime I see him I'm a huge mess and forget everything I mean to ask him.

Danna, even though it take a long time I'm pretty sure I do ovulate just very infrequent. Sorry to hear that vitex didn't work for you. My doctor seems to have done the exact same thing with my diagnosis, just did a scan and that's it. So annoying. I have been back a couple of times but end up getting really upset and do not come out with what I want. I'm going back next week and forcing them to give me a blood test, I want to know what all my levels are so I can try and balance them.
Grrr PCOS is such a pain!

Stupid question.. What is an RE?

Not stupid at all. It's a Reproductive Endocrinologist. A fertility doctor. They specialize in infertility issues and diseases and their main goal is getting you pregnant. OBGYNs specialize in vagina/reproductive health and so on and they can also help after you are pregnant and expecting a baby. But, in general, getting pregnant is not their specialty nor is fertility.

Most women I know that are TTC and go to OBGYNs, end up having the OBGYN push birth control on them to try to fix any cycle issues instead of looking into the cause of the issue. Which, obviously, BC is the last thing we want to take.

Hi BeeBee sorry about your ectopic pregnancy, I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that is. On the flip side however least you know that you have ovulated and can conceieve its just a case of the medications making sure the environment is hospitable for the developing embryo. Fx for your BFP on Monday!

Danna, I really struggle with my diagnosis also. It feels like we have to put so much more effort into getting that elusive BFP. I'm not sure my PCOS effects me the same as you guys as my luteal phases from my last two cycles were both 14/15 days it's just it takes me ages to ovulate! Last two cycles were 54/75 days! Fx to a shorter one on vitex. I really hope the medications work for you, have you tried any self help/herbal remedies out of interest?
Shortcakes did your doc diagnose you with low progesterone? That generally is the reason for annovulation?

No, she didn't. She just did basic hormone blood work and said I had high testosterone... And that it can be due to my weight.

My holistic dr was the one who looked in detail and mentioned PCOS.

Bee Bee ... I am giving myself 2 more months on the meds I just started and that was my next step

Hi ladies! Fellow PCOSer here! I really struggled with my PCOS diagnosis last year...it came just as we were starting to TTC. I let it consume me and being the pessimist that I am...told myself I would never get pregnant :( After seeing a fertility doc I was given an HSG (all clear) and then 50mg of Clomid which didn't work, then 100mg which worked on the first round but ended in chemical, and worked again on the third round resulting in this little one!

Its horrible to know there's something in the way of your dream of having a baby, but PCOS doesn't have to be a massive deal. Eat right, exercise, take supplements, do what the doc says and you'll get there :)

Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for sharing your story, and congratulations on yor little bean! It does get you down quite a bit when you lose hope that that elusive BFP seems so far away.
I am currently quite optimistic after starting vitex and hope that it does what it claims to do. I guess we will have to see in a couple of months. Doctor over here will not prescribe me meds until I have at least been trying for a year so it's all about self help remedies at the moment. Thankfully I eat a good diet and am a good weight so I will see how things go over the next few months.

Hi ladies, I too have PCOS. DH and I have been ttc since 2006 when we got married and were only 23. Now we're both 32.

I was dx with PCOS in 2007 after one year of TTC- which is when I sought help for the first time. Right off the bat I was told to lose weight and take birth control pills to regulate my cycles and balance my hormones. Blood work showed I was estrogen dominant with high androgens, but I had no idea what that really meant and my doctor didn't educate me enough. I took BCP for 3 months then went off, hoping I'd get pregnant, but my cycles went back to nearly non-existent.

Over the next 5 years (gradually gaining more weight) we didn't use birth control and I tracked my cycles on a phone app, that always placed ovulation at an estimated date around CD 14. The problem is that I only had a few cycles a year and I'm pretty sure I was never or almost never ovulating- especially at CD 14!

Our insurance didn't cover fertility treatments or tests, so we decided to just keep "trying" naturally, hoping for a miracle.

In 2012, at 29 years old, realizing 30 was approaching quickly, knowing it would only get harder to conceive, I went in to see an RE (paying out of pocket). The RE performed (a very painful, I might add) HSG which came back normal. I had cysts on my ovaries, but my ovaries weren't overly enlarged, and my uterus, tubes, cervix, etc all came back looking good. My hormones were out of balance, very few periods a year and being in the obese category on the BMI scale at 34.
The RE was very nice and 'somewhat' informative- more than any other doctor I'd seen up to that point. She told me to lose weight and come back when my BMI was at 30 and we'd precede with fertility treatments. She said she wanted my BMI at 30 or below because of increased risk of mc in PCOS and women who are obese.

In Feb 2014 I quit smoking.

In April 2014- I had a mc. I realized I was at my heaviest weight ever and my BMI was at 37! Yikes! It's like you look in the mirror one day and realize the full extent of what you've been blind to for years.

2014 was pretty awful- lots of family problems, loss of a dear pet, problems in marriage, etc. I was so stinkin' depressed, crying daily, feeling hopeless for so long.

In October 2014 I made the decision to turn my life around because I really want to be a mom, more than anything. I started (seriously) eating healthy again, running and exercising, researching PCOS, and taking supplements/vitamins.
Each month my diet got stricter. To the point of gluten-free organic vegan. It's not the kind of lifestyle you can adapt to over night lol, that's for sure! (I have incorporated oatmeal, honey, and some treats in once in a while).
The supplements and vitamins I took were just about everything recommended for PCOS. I did that for 3 months and lost 55 lbs. I didn't exercise a couple winter months (I run outside and there's lots of snow where I live). I've started running again just recently and noticed how much easier it is after losing so much weight.

My BMI is current 29- I'm right at the top of 'overweight' category on the BMI scale. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range. But the best part of all this is this is that my cycles have regulated- I OVULATE!! :happydance: yay! Finding 'Fertility Friend' to learn more about how my reproductive system works, and learning my own unique cycle has been priceless!

I've maintained my weight for about a month and a half- I think it's because of pure laziness! Winter is like that for me unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I'm at the point where I could conceive any cycle now. I think my chances would be a bit greater if I lost more weight. Also, chances of mc go down, and pregnancy & delivery are less complicated at a healthy weight.

I really hope I'll be sharing a BFP result with you ladies soon!- AND seeing your BFPs as well! I'm currently at CD 5, so ovulation isn't for a while yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->