PCOS and TTC #1

Hi ladies, I too have PCOS. DH and I have been ttc since 2006 when we got married and were only 23. Now we're both 32.

I was dx with PCOS in 2007 after one year of TTC- which is when I sought help for the first time. Right off the bat I was told to lose weight and take birth control pills to regulate my cycles and balance my hormones. Blood work showed I was estrogen dominant with high androgens, but I had no idea what that really meant and my doctor didn't educate me enough. I took BCP for 3 months then went off, hoping I'd get pregnant, but my cycles went back to nearly non-existent.

Over the next 5 years (gradually gaining more weight) we didn't use birth control and I tracked my cycles on a phone app, that always placed ovulation at an estimated date around CD 14. The problem is that I only had a few cycles a year and I'm pretty sure I was never or almost never ovulating- especially at CD 14!

Our insurance didn't cover fertility treatments or tests, so we decided to just keep "trying" naturally, hoping for a miracle.

In 2012, at 29 years old, realizing 30 was approaching quickly, knowing it would only get harder to conceive, I went in to see an RE (paying out of pocket). The RE performed (a very painful, I might add) HSG which came back normal. I had cysts on my ovaries, but my ovaries weren't overly enlarged, and my uterus, tubes, cervix, etc all came back looking good. My hormones were out of balance, very few periods a year and being in the obese category on the BMI scale at 34.
The RE was very nice and 'somewhat' informative- more than any other doctor I'd seen up to that point. She told me to lose weight and come back when my BMI was at 30 and we'd precede with fertility treatments. She said she wanted my BMI at 30 or below because of increased risk of mc in PCOS and women who are obese.

In Feb 2014 I quit smoking.

In April 2014- I had a mc. I realized I was at my heaviest weight ever and my BMI was at 37! Yikes! It's like you look in the mirror one day and realize the full extent of what you've been blind to for years.

2014 was pretty awful- lots of family problems, loss of a dear pet, problems in marriage, etc. I was so stinkin' depressed, crying daily, feeling hopeless for so long.

In October 2014 I made the decision to turn my life around because I really want to be a mom, more than anything. I started (seriously) eating healthy again, running and exercising, researching PCOS, and taking supplements/vitamins.
Each month my diet got stricter. To the point of gluten-free organic vegan. It's not the kind of lifestyle you can adapt to over night lol, that's for sure! (I have incorporated oatmeal, honey, and some treats in once in a while).
The supplements and vitamins I took were just about everything recommended for PCOS. I did that for 3 months and lost 55 lbs. I didn't exercise a couple winter months (I run outside and there's lots of snow where I live). I've started running again just recently and noticed how much easier it is after losing so much weight.

My BMI is current 29- I'm right at the top of 'overweight' category on the BMI scale. My goal is to get into the healthy weight range. But the best part of all this is this is that my cycles have regulated- I OVULATE!! :happydance: yay! Finding 'Fertility Friend' to learn more about how my reproductive system works, and learning my own unique cycle has been priceless!

I've maintained my weight for about a month and a half- I think it's because of pure laziness! Winter is like that for me unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I'm at the point where I could conceive any cycle now. I think my chances would be a bit greater if I lost more weight. Also, chances of mc go down, and pregnancy & delivery are less complicated at a healthy weight.

I really hope I'll be sharing a BFP result with you ladies soon!- AND seeing your BFPs as well! I'm currently at CD 5, so ovulation isn't for a while yet.

Veryblueapple, thank you so much for sharing your story. My BMI is 41 (I am only 4'11 which doesn't help me). I just started this diet called Fast Metabolism Diet.. which cuts out all sugar, dairy and white starches. I am hoping it brings my weight down as well as other things.

My dr says the same thing. She doesn't think I am ovulating at all (my app currently says i should be o'ing CD14! Which i am on CD16 and i still have nothing.

I am hoping I can do this as this is what I want. We can be buddies/help with motivation!

I am wishing you a very soon BFP. You are definitely working hard enough to deserve it!

Shortcakes, I'd really like for us to be buddies on this journey!

One of the things I've heard about PCOS that always stuck out in my mind was that losing just 10 lbs, no matter your weight, can be enough to jumpstart ovulation. That was a huge driving force for me, to lose just 10 lbs. Then just 10 more. I was also eating paleo (paleo helped me tremendously before I decided not to eat meat anymore) which sounds similar to your current diet but stricter. I'm really proud of you for taking the strides necessary to tame PCOS. Sugar, dairy, and gluten are huge contributors to insulin resistance and inflammation.

Junk food is a very powerful addiction, and one of the hardest to break because we need food to survive, you get in the habit of having the easy, comfort food. The only way you'll lose weight is to first make the decision that it's going to happen. You can't wish the weight away or half-heartily try for a few days then give into temptation. There will be tears, and frustration, but then amazing things happen physically and mentally.

For years I didn't believe I could change anything, except for a few bouts here and there where I'd get the motivational bug. I'm such an instant gratification type person, I never allowed the time for any great change to happen. I also had a lot of issues with [family] relationships which had been bogging me down all my life. I had to deal with those and mentally deal with repressed feelings. Exercise plays a great role in shedding that baggage. I'm living proof that you can conquer your own fears and win the battle inside.

If you ever need advice or recipes or anything just ask. I have a fountain of useful information. <3 I know you can do this and hold your sweet baby in your arms someday soon.

Veryblue, I know your message was directed at shortcakes but I just wanted to say how very uplifting it was. It's so nice to hear positivity in the face of everything that it thrown at us and having uplifting people like you makes me feel less alone in the journey. I hope we all get out BFP's soon and I would love to join you along for the journey :)

Positivity is nice : )
I had a bad day today, got my AMH results and it's very high, I doubt Femara will work for me. It confirms my PCOS diagnostic sadly.

I also changex my diet last week, I'm going for a low GI diet. My goal is not to loose weight though, I'm thin... Wish there was more I can do

Hi Danna,

Sorry to hear about your results were not what you wanted, forgive my ignorance but what it AMH? And if it's high what can they do for you?
I'm also slim with a relatively healthy diet (no dairy/low gluten etc) so I'm trying all I can to help myself before meds.
Low GI is always a good choice.

Hopefully, Amh tells your ovarian reserve. A low one means you are close to menopause. A high one is typicle of PCOS, especially lean ones for obscure reasons. The reason it's high is because it's immature follicles that secrete that hormones, and our cysts are actually immature follicles.

I'm not sure what they can do really, but injectables is often the best bet.

Hopefullyopto, I'm super excited to count you as a friend, thank you:).

The two best things you can do having "thin" or "fat" PCOS is exercise and nourish your body. Get a juicer if you can afford it, and make a juice each day for yourself with fresh veggies and fruit. It's a really great way of getting tons of micronutrients right into your cells. Try to cut out all processed foods and eat raw when you can.

Exercise is not just for weight loss, it helps balance hormones and your ovaries produce a lot of those hormones. If anything is out of whack then your ovaries aren't doing what is needed at the right time.

Thin PCOS is basically the same as fat PCOS, hormones aren't balanced, cells are starving for the right nutrients. In the case of being overweight/obese with PCOS you also have all those fat cells storing all the estrogens, making weight loss really hard and balancing your hormones a big challenge.

Sorry for the school lecture. I'll annoyingly keep sharing stuff I think is relevant because I wish I had known the things I know now, 10 years ago. My doctors should've been more helpful and informative instead of dismissive and unsupportive.

Anyway, no looking back! :) Our future is what we make of it!

Hi Veryblue, don't apologise for the lecture it's actually extremely informative! I always wondered if there was an obvious difference between thin and fat PCOS, I suppose I was in denial as I thought well "I'm thin why have I got it"
I would be grateful for any information you want to pass on that could help. I have started drinking smoothies with spinach, avocado, flax etc for breakfast recently so I hope that will start to help.
We did break it this morning however so I will have to buy myself a new one sharpish :)
It's a shame that doctors are relatively clueless about PCOS, mine won't do bloods because a scan confirmed it although I have no idea what my hormone levels are so I feel that I would be much more in control of I knew. Going to go to my new doctors (we recently moved house) and ask if they can provide me with some tests so I can at least get answers

Why do so many doctors just not give a dang about women suffering with PCOS? Erg it makes me mad. You pay for health insurance, you should be able to get your blood tests and get information/help with a health issue. I think it would be great for you to find out where you're at with your hormones so you can make your efforts more specific to correcting any imbalance. Good luck with that sweetie. Let us know if you are able to go through with that at your new doctors.

So Danna are you going to be started on injectables?
Surely having s higher egg reserve is not necessarily a bad thing, I mean once you have your hormones in balance that will mean you have more eggs than another women your age, or is that not how it works?

Hopefully, I'll know later today if I start on injectables next cycle.
The way I see it, it's not as bad has having a very low reserve, it makes me a good candidate for IVF for exemple. But also at very high risk of ovarian hyper stimulation, which is painful and dangerous. I'll need close monitoring for sure.

Well I had one follicle at 16mm! I have a IUI tomorrow and I'm quite shocked!

Is 16mm optimal size for ovarian stimulation then?
Sorry for my ignorance I just really don't have much experience with iui or ivf

18+ is good, but once you trigger you have 36 hours before ovulation, and eggs typically grow 1-3mm a day

Awesome! Fx'd for you Danna! I'm only on CD 7, still a ways from ovulation. Excited to try this month!

Aaa makes sense, that's good news then Danna! Make sure you let us know how you get on, Fx for you :)

VeryBlue I'm cd9 today so not that far ahead, I didn't ovulate till cd40 last time so I guess we will see how things go. I'm excited although a little apprehensive about vitex so I will see how I fair with it this month :)

Don't be discouraged if you still ovulate late this month. It takes vitex 3-6 months to start working sometimes. I'm really rooting for you ;)

Yeah I know that's why I'm just seeing how it goes :)
Trying to stay positive

Hey ladies!!! Sorry for the disappearance ... Work was crazy the last 3 days. Yes apple... I would love to be friends!! I'm cd12 so I am hoping I actually ovulate. Yes, it's about time i take control since my doctors seem to be complete morons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->