PCOS Club!

Clobo yes like my health insurance does not cover infertility and my husband and i are normal working class people that do not have any money to spare! The cost of infertility is rediculous! I know I will be a good mom But i cant afford to make a baby lol. Sometimes i think gee what can i sell to make the money for my treatment? It is sad that the medical profession is not more willing to help people with something that they want so badly.

That is my problem too. Out in CO, the IVF for one round is 15,000 not including $1000-$2000 for meds and 500$ for anesthetic.
I don't work right now and hubby is a 2ndLT in the Air Force and we don't have that kind of money lying around anywhere. We decided we don't want to go into debt to have a baby. So we are hoping with my dieting and exercise and both of us taking vitamins and eating right we can conceive without any major cost.
It is frustrating. DH and I would love to adopt but that costs more than IVF.

I know exactly what you mean. It's CRAZY expensive which is just sad. We would love to adopt as well but like you said, it's just as much, if not more than IVF. All we see are dollar signs in this process, that's why we've tortured ourselves with 3 different doctors and 8 failed IUI attempts. I have an appt. tomorrow morning to see if my body is on track for our 9th try. We have 3 more trys if the 9th one fails and then we'll be looking into IVF...I'd say it's safe to say that if we have 12 failed IUI's it's just not going to work for us. :) We just don't have the money for IVF or adoption and IUI is the cheapest route we have right now.

I am thankful for my mom who is willing to pay for three rounds of IUI starting in July if I hold up my end of the bargain and lose 15 pounds. I am really hoping this month works. I am hoping femara and HCG shot works for me.

Its the cheapest round for me and I am even braving a needle (haven't had a shot since I was 12)in hopes of ovulating.

Bringing up a child is expensive as it is. If I have to do IVF, heres hoping I win the lotto or come into a major amount of money.

Agreed!! That's what I say all the time too. Raising a kid isn't cheap, but dang it, neither is making one for some of us. I'm always saying that if we break ourselves doing IVF we won't have any money to raise the child if we do get pregnant. Sad!
I hate needles too but the HCG shot really isn't bad. I still haven't brought myself to give it to myself though, my hubby does it for me. It does sting a little but it's not bad, I just lay on the couch, close my eyes and it's done.
Good luck to ya hun! The things we do in hopes of a family!
Keep truckin' along on that diet too, because that's huge that your mom will help out! NICE!

Here's to winning the LOTTO!!! :happydance:

wantanerd -- really good to know that you are staying positive! I started doing some dancing fitness on the Wii too so yay for the 2 of us! :happydance: When is the deadline? How near are you to the goal now? It'll be really nice if I can lose 15lbs... *sigh*

clobo -- the doc had already agreed to refer us to the FS [last week when she was nice] but I have to do the CD21 blood test before that. Would you know how long is the wait for a scan in the UK? I had a scan last year but I don't quite remember how long did I have to wait for the appointment.

My temp dropped this morning so I *think* AF will be here soon. This time I can't wait for her to show up!!!

Hiya

Wow that really sucks having to pay all that money, its so unfair :cry:

Yellow, I think i had to wait about 6 weeks for a scan to confirm PCOS, although i think it varies greatly where you are and how many other people want a scan, also depends on what you want it for, for you they will probably not leave it too long due to the nature of ewhat you need it for ... could you say that you will take a last minute cancellation??

Good luck all with the weight loss, im not really overweight but i do carry it round my tummy, i look about 5 months pregnant most of the time unless i suck it in due to podge and bloating!!!

I had to go to the doctors today, got penicillin in case of infection, i just cant wait for this to be over so i can move on!!

xxx

quick question -- is it ok for me to up my metformin dosage? I am currently on 850mg once a day. I've stopped taking metformin before (sometime last year due to side effect) and once I started taking it again, AF showed up within a week or two. So now I am wondering ... will it show up if I take 850mgX2 ?

Here's to winning the LOTTO!!! :happydance:

wantanerd -- really good to know that you are staying positive! I started doing some dancing fitness on the Wii too so yay for the 2 of us! :happydance: When is the deadline? How near are you to the goal now? It'll be really nice if I can lose 15lbs... *sigh*

My deadline is June 16 when my mom gets into town. I don't know how much I have lost since I don't allow scales in my house. I am going to weigh in at my next doctor's appointment next week. But my pants are looser and someone I hadn't seen in about a month told me how great I looked and she could tell I lost weight.

It hasn't been fun since I love the carbs and red wine but it will be worth it in the end. Or I could get knocked up this month and giving my mom a positive pregnancy test when I see her. I think if I get the :bfp: in the coming month, I can reward myself with cheese fries =)

Can i ask a question? was it an internal or external ultrasound that you got, before diagnosed with pcos?

i had a internal US and yellow i take 2000mg of metformin a day. i have an appt today to discuss options with my FS. wish me luck i think im losing my mind lol

Hi All

Babypink, yes it was an internal US, dont worry though they are absolutely fine, doesnt take liong and its all very discreet. Whats your story chick??

Yellow, sorry i have no idea on metformin, id be careful though perhaps research it a bit online before you make a decision??

Wantanerd, i think thats the best way to tell if you have los weight, clothes being loose and people noticing means you have done really well!!

Court, aw i really hope they are able to give you some peace of mind that there are loads of things they can do to help and hopefully they dont cost the earth :hugs:

xxxx

Thanks, I think my GP is a nightmare, been ttc for 2 years, i get regular cycle had day 21 bloods all fine and basicly told to wait longer to i pushed and hubbys got sperm test, we r waiting till after holiday.
I went to docs again today she wont reffer me to gyno till my hubby gets sperm results but she reffered me for US,
I crave carbs & have excess hair like really bad to the extent that i pluck hairs all over the place nightmare,
So awaiting a letter for appointment? Anyone know when this will be cause am off on holiday for 2 weeks soon hope i dont get letter whilst am away :-( live in livingston uk
Might get me sister to check my mail?

How do use deal with pcos? What route did use go down?

Did you get refferred to fs rather than gp to help?

Hiya

Aw thats really good that they are getting the SA and US done, its worth doing them before you go to the FS as otherwise they will have to do them and it will take even longer. Perhaps to push for them to refer you now as there is bound to be a waiting list for the FS. GPs can only do certain things, there are things they cant prescribe etc etc so well worth going to FS.

Ive no idea how long the wait for the US may be, it will all depend on where you are etc, might be worth getting your sister to check your mail, unfortunately though there are often waiting lists for these things ...

I waited 6 weeks for an US, 13 weeks for a FS appt ... however now i have my foot in the door its much easier to get appts etc.

I was gutted :cry: when i was told I had PCOS, thought it was the end of the world, however although life would be easier without having it, its good to have a reason and to be able to finally do something productive. :happydance: If you are having regular cycles that is a very good thing for a start, they will be able to tell whether other things are wrong.

My problem was i wasnt ovulating for ages so had long irregular cycles, they gave me clomid which regulated me and made me produce stronger eggs and POW i got pregnant ... unfortunately i lost my beany but i know i can get pregnant now so just have to try again!!

Once you get the results and an appt with the FS you are well on your way, I suggest finding other things to take your mind off it in the meantime to help pass the time! I took a photography course and found a new hobby!!!

Good luck, sorry for the essay xxxx

babypink i started with my gyno and he did a HSG which checked to make sure i did not have a blockage in my tubes. it was normal. the he had my hubby do a semen test which was normal. i take metformin 2000mg to deal with my pcos and it actually made me cycle this month but not ovulate:( i have an appt with my FS today i end up going usually atleast once a wk to them. i just pray that god has a plan form me that doesnt make me sell my home to have a baby lol

Hi Court,

Sounds like in the USA although you have to pay for your treatment you kind of have a Gyno like we have a GP and can see them more easily??

In the UK we have a GP and then because fertility treatment usually is done on the NHS we dont have to pay but there are therefore waiting lists.

Im not sure which is worse?? :shrug:

Good luck with the FS.

Its a long hard journey that we dont deserve to go through when we are good people .... but I know that in the end we will get our baby and we will appreciate it all the more for the hard work we had to put in.

:hug: xxx

Hi clobo, thanks for your story, I was happy that i got my us, it means i have a date in my mind that i can look to, I distract my self every day lol, I keep myself so busy but its good for me, I am currently trying to do up my home to sell so gives me something to do.
When you were diagnosed with pcos did ur gp refer you to fs straight away? I am not looking forward to the waiting list but its good no know once you have been referred is easier to be seen again, i am sorry about your loss, I do hope you get bfp again, how many cycles of clomid have you been on? What area in the UK r u in?

Hey Courtw, I have family in the usa who visited recently and insurance and private health care is so expensive, In the uk we mainly dread the waiting list and getting the referred from gp, Have you known you have had pcos for long?

not really i had always suspected but i was dx about 3 months ago. i went to the dr and i fall into a 10% of people that do not ovulate on clomid or on femara. so therefore i have to do injections in which i can not afford:( my husband and i work to live. the FS said they would give me 3 days worth and that was it

Hiya BabyPink

I went to the GP first as i wasnt having periods, he did blood tests and sent me for US ... as soon as that came back he referred me and sent OH for a SA so the FS would have all the info.

He prescribed clomid straight away, I did one month in December, didnt have :sex: at the right time!! Next clomid in Jan, ovulated but nothing .... then i was referred to have a laparoscopy to check tubes and for endometriosis etc as they found i had traces of chlamydia (yuk!) from years and years ago ... I stopped the clomid but that was the month i got pregnant ... i thought i ovulated cd 18 but i didnt and then did on cd 27!! Luckily we caught it!!

So it means i have 4 months left of clomid and then can try Femara if we dont want to try anything more serious. Im hoping the acupuncture will help in regulating me too though. I go to Bath RUH Hospital and live about 10 miles away.

Ah DIY, that will do the trick to keeping you occupied!!

Aw Court, thats rubbish that the drugs dont work, I dont really understand all the injections as ive not looked into them that much ... have you thought about trying something like acupuncture or reflexology?? Much cheaper and more readily available although not everyone believes in things like that. ve heard some very good stories though!

thanks clobo i am up for anything im getting mentally worn down at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->